Ferguson set OOP

It looks like the Maynard Ferguson LP set is finally OOP. All I can say is that it took quite some time. I remember calling Mosaic in early to mid November and them telling me they had about 40 copies of the set left. I decided to pass on it. Ferguson was a little too bombastic for my tastes, but I did wonder how Jaki Byard sounded in the band.

It looks like the Maynard Ferguson LP set is finally OOP. All I can say is that it took quite some time. I remember calling Mosaic in early to mid November and them telling me they had about 40 copies of the set left. I decided to pass on it. Ferguson was a little too bombastic for my tastes, but I did wonder how Jaki Byard sounded in the band.

I always thought the same thing as far as the bombastic style of his playing goes, but once I picked it up, I discovered some great music. Sure he could (can) really wail, but there's a whole lot more than just that on these LPs.

To be honest with you, I might not even have picked it up if I had not gotten such a great deal on the vinyl. A couple of years ago, someone posted on the BNBB that he called Mosaic to see if they had any CD sets left. I guess he was looking for a remaindered set, since the CD had been OOP for a while. At any rate, he got to talking with Scott who sold him the LP set for the CD set price. That's like $160 vs $250. I took a chance, talked to Scott, and got the same deal. I think they were just trying to unload those suckers at that point since the set is a monster and was probably taking up way too much storage space.

• 1 month later...

Just came home with this set from a local used CD store. I'm just about done with the first disc and, boy, the band indeed sounds fiery. I love being bombarded by the brasses. (Heavy metal thunder, yeah!)

Maybe 10 discs of the same might tire out even me ... but an out-of-print Mosaic set for $80 (with $50 paid with traded-in CDs) is a deal one should not turn down, don't you think?

Just came home with this set from a local used CD store. I'm just about done with the first disc and, boy, the band indeed sounds fiery. I love being bombarded by the brasses. (Heavy metal thunder, yeah!)

Maybe 10 discs of the same might tire out even me ... but an out-of-print Mosaic set for $80 (with $50 paid with traded-in CDs) is a deal one should not turn down, don't you think?

Nice deal. Congratulations. Do they have any more Mosaic sets? ;)

Just playing a few tracks off this LP behemoth earlier today. Was wondering at the time just how long it would be before OOP. A cracking set, in my opinion. Amazing how Maynard could make a mid-sized band sound much bigger than it really was, basically by crafty arranging tricks. The music I was specifically listening to was the Xmas material and the dance tracks. They were even able to get this unlikely material to swing... B)

Oh - the booklet for this one is also a very fine read. Highly recommended for any big band fans who also liked the Basie sets, Thad & Mel and the Gerald Wilson.

And $80 sales of the CD version of this set in 2nd hand stores shouldn't be allowed. How come there are none of these stores around when I'm looking? :angry:

:rhappy: