Walt Dickerson R.I.P.

ghost of miles

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Dumpy Mama and Randy. I've seen that cd at Amazon before but I didn't know it was a twofer. I just ordered it.

Some people think the Impr. of L of A is his best album. Thoughts?

It's great, but I think Sense of Direction is desert island material. Peace, Tell Us, This Is, TMQ are all worthy of consideration, as well. Hell, they're all great -- guy was a beautiful person and it just flowed out of him (much like William Parker).

I have Sense of Direction and agree that it's excellent. That's why my interest was piqued when I started hearing all the hype about Impressions of Lawrence of Arabia. I thought damn, if it's better than what I've already heard it must be off the charts. Of course it is only someone's opinion, but I've heard that from quite a few people. I guess I'll find out in a few days.

Stylistically, it is a different direction than the three records from February 1961 to January 1962. To My Queen, to me, shows a departure from the first three New Jazz albums that becomes more evident on Jazz Impressions Of "Lawrence Of Arabia" and Unity. Impressions Of "A Patch Of Blue", from 1965 would be his last recording until 1975. This album falls somewhere between the focus of those first three and the expansion of the last three.

I'm late to this thread, but I didn't want to let it pass without adding my condolences. Dickerson is far and away my favorite vibes player. His later Prestige OJC releases, especially To My Queen and Relativity are exceptional. At least Mr. Dickerson lived a full life, unlike so many others in the world of jazz. Thanks, man, for everything you did.

Up over and out.

• 3 weeks later...