Happy Birthday Chuck Nessa!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, Chuck is truly impressive for the following: after releasing several all-time classic albums on his label, he managed Discount Records, bringing great jazz into lower State Street in Madison, Wisconsin, at the height of the turmoil of the very active Vietnam War protests there, and at a time when the surrounding population was heavily into the rock music of the time. I can only imagine how many times his store windows were smashed by Vietnam War demonstrators. It had to be an uphill battle to get the students to buy anything other than Jimi Hendrix and Crosby Stills Nash & Young.

His influence lived on in that store, which was a cultural center on campus when I arrived in the fall of 1974. It had a great jazz section and staff which knew jazz for years after he left. I am grateful to him for that. It had a great positive influence on my life.

Trivia: The jazz professor at the University of Wisconsin while Chuck was there, was Cecil Taylor.

8. Chuck Nessa eliminated all usage of No. 6, everywhere, forever.

9. Chuck Nessa is the bass voice in the backing chorus on Jimmy Dean's "Big Bad John".

10. Chuck Nessa was Big Bad John.

11. Big John Patton used to be known as Big Bad John Patton until Chuck Nessa called bullshit on him.

12. Big Bad John/Chuck Nessa & Big Bad John Patton went down to the crossroads to fight for ownership of the name. Big Bad John/Chuck Nessa won without too much of a fight, so to speak of.

13. In the first of a lifetime of decisions combining Deep Human Kindness with I Don't Give A Fuck 'Tude To The Max, Big Bad John/Chuck Nessa returned 2/3 of the name to John Patton, advising him to use it wisely. The rest of that deal is history, as Big John Patton became one of America's Most Beloved Entertainment Superstars.

14. Keeping the "Bad" for himself, Chuck Nessa resumed life as a mover and shaker, never flashing the "Bad", knowing full well that if you really got it, it'll all take care of itself.

Moral of the story - Don't fuck with Chuck Nessa, but if you do, hope that he takes pity on your sorry ass and gives you the keys to the kingdom.

• 4 years later...