The Best of Andrew Hill: The Blue Note Years

Rooster_Ties

• 5 months later...

Strange direction, indeed.

I fully admit to probably having gone past the point of over-enthusiasm about Hill, particularly back in the Summer, and Fall of 2003 (when this thread - and several more like it were started -- and when most of the posting activity in them occurred).

I saw Hill perform live for the first time in July of 2003, and it was only in the few months before that, that I really started to feel like I was starting to 'get' the Hill Mosaic. Then I came into a bunch of unreleased live recordings of Hill in the Fall too - and that only fed the fire. And I started trying to pick up as much of his post BN material around that time too.

These boards are a creative outlet for me, and sometimes I like to be a guy who's got that crazy look in his eye. Hopefully I'm not that guy about everything around here, but I certainly was about Hill about six months ago – guilty as charged.

I'm not listening to Hill as fanatically as I did six months ago, and I’d appreciate Chuck's and impossible's participation in my old Andrew Hill threads, to the extent they feel they have something to contribute.

I'm really not as crazy as I come across in these threads, and if anything - I'm probably guilty of trying to stir up some interest in an artist whose music I've come to enjoy more than I had previously ever expected to.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I wouldn't feel bad if I were you R/T.

What's wrong with being passionate about this music? I may not participate in your AH threads (just because I'm not that familiar with track names - i just throw CDs on the player), but I've always enjoyed your enthusiasm.

If Alfred Lion wasn't passionate about jazz, there'd have been no Blue Note. Loving this music is a good thing, it keeps it alive.

Life sucks without passion.

...stir up some interest in an artist whose music I've come to enjoy more than I had previously ever expected to.

By the way, this is probably my most accurate and restrained way of describing my interest in Hill's music.

Edited by Rooster_Ties