Charles Lloyd in Ann Arbor

Joe G

No wonder the owner of the Bird of Paradise didn't know what I was talking about when I asked him when Charles Lloyd was due in. :g

I even asked the usher how much they would be charging and he said "normally $20-30 for national acts," but he was unaware that Charles Lloyd was due in.

Cripes, Joe!! :rsmile:

I'm still not sure if I'm going to this or not. The Michigan is a great place to see live music; the acoustics are fantastic and every seat is good, even the back of the balcony. I might be saving my money for Ornette Coleman when he comes to town though

I'm still not sure if I'm going to this or not. The Michigan is a great place to see live music; the acoustics are fantastic and every seat is good, even the back of the balcony. I might be saving my money for Ornette Coleman when he comes to town though

Can you tell me where the Michigan theatre is Greg?

Thanks

Can you tell me where the Michigan theatre is Greg?

Thanks

its on Liberty St downtow, between State and Maynard Streets, in the formerly one-way section of streets. Its across from the big Borders store, about 2 or 3 blocks west of the U of M bell tower. hard to miss with its brilliantly bright marquee. I definitely recommend going to a live show there if you can. I saw Shorter and Hancock there, both as a duo and individually, and each time it was great, partly because the theater only seats around 3000 or so

Greg, you should come! We should all get together and have dinner somewhere before the show and hang out. That would be a blast! :)

that does sound like a great idea!! Lots of great places downtown to hit before or after the show. My only problem is my self-imposed one concert a year limit due to budget restraints (i.e., new baby, and wife going to school). I don't know how many others chances I will have to see Ornette so I am strongly leaning to going to that one over Llyod.

Guest youmustbe

So, that's why Geri couldn't do my Bud Powell tribute at Jazz Standard! She's out with Charles.

BTW I recommended Geri to Charles about 5 years ago, and he said, "I don't want no bitch in my band!'

Guess he changed his mind.

To the curious:

WAIL THE MUSIC OF BUD POWELL

Steve Bernstein

Greg Osby

Uri Caine/Orrin Evans

Dwayne Burno

Billy Drummond/Dion Parsons

Nov 13-16 Jazz Standard NYC

While you're at it, you might check out one of my other shows, FIRST TIME EVER!

Joe Lovano-Dewey Redman Quartet

w/Dwayne Burno

Idris Muhammad

Birdland, Big Apple, Nov 6-8

Now, if I can only put together Lovano and Jimmy Heath and Tootie will agree to drum....