Playing with bad singers

Robert J

The drummer post got me thinking about this.

The second worst thing is performing with poor singers. This was really obvious to me a couple of weeks ago when I subbed for a piano player at club that hires duos. The singer has a repertoire, sort of, but he just does not have a good voice, or presence or phrasing at all. It was a painful 4 hours.

But the real problem was he was such a nice guy. I just don't think he knew how bad he was. His wife and friends all came by to watch us. They were so encouraging. I knew all the tunes, but he insisted on a couple of rehersals. I did about 30 minutes with him beforehand; they were common tunes and I knew his keys.

Just everything was lacking and it was so boring for me. No spark. Plus for some reason I played more than he sang. He kept missing my cues to come in for a second chorus etc. I'd play the whole tune in my solo sometimes twice. The audience didn't really know it. It was a martini bar at a restaurant so most people would hear only 3-4 songs. Plus he wanted to end every set with a ballad. AHHH

If you could excuse the analogy, it was like making love to a dead fish!

Anyone comments?

Shit, $125 is nothing to scoff at. Joe and I got $50 a piece for backing up a singer last Thursday. Actually, he's the same singer that fronts the R&B band I'm in. We were doing simple standards. He's got a great voice, but there were some key issues going on... ie, he started singing some tunes in the wrong key... then couldn't get his bearings... :blink:

I'm hoping some rehearsals will do some good. I know he can sing this stuff... it's just that awkward first gig.

Speaking of singers, I hate it when people think it's kareoke time and try to push themselves up on the bandstand.

In matters such as this, I fear that we often tend to overlook the profound contributions of Jonathan & Darlene Edwards. Jonathan's courageous innovations should inspire us all, especially since Darlene's legacy has had an influence that transcends gender.

In matters such as this, I fear that we often tend to overlook the profound contributions of Jonathan & Darlene Edwards. Jonathan's courageous innovations should inspire us all, especially since Darlene's legacy has had an influence that transcends gender.

:g

Those Jonathan and Darlene Edwards records were AHEAD of their time. ;)

Shit, $125 is nothing to scoff at.  Joe and I got $50 a piece for backing up a singer last Thursday

Don't forget that's in Canadian $$$ ;) Probably equal to the $50 you made. It was a martini bar, and the 2 I had cost me a foolish $15.

I'm not complaining, I am grateful for the gig even though it will be painful. At least I get to stretch out a bit. I guess what I was getting at is, that although he's not a good singer, he still plugs himself and manages to get the next gig. Something smart about that.

I know a guy, now on the west coast, who did a gig with a singer and it was not a good time. He vowed never to follow up with the dude. A year later he was asked to sub for a band which happened to have the same guy singing. My buddy walked into the rehearsal and said "Oh no, ... I didn't know it was gonna be you" He still did the night.

Edited by Robert J