Jimmy McGriff R.I.P.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sorry to hear. I was lucky enough to catch him a few times in Seattle with Hank Crawford back in the late 90's...on one occasion Frank Wess showed up and sat in with them.

I spoke with him after one of the sets and he was very nice and glad to hear I was enthusiastic about the performance.

He'll be missed.

Damn... Jimmy was a true gentleman. I met him in Detroit back in '97 or '98 (maybe earlier... my memory is fuzzy). We talked for quite some time and he was very generous and gave me some great advice about taming the mighty B3. The Giants of the Organ in Concert LP with Groove Holmes (which I pilfered from my dad's collection) was in constant rotation on my turntable when I was learning the instrument.

RIP Jimmy McGriff. Much love and respect for your art.

THIS IS THE GREATEST ORGAN TRAGEDY SINCE THE BJP'S PASSING. JIMMY MCGRIFF WAS BY FAR ONE OF THE TOP 5 ORGANISTS OF ALL TIME- HIS VAST CATELOGUE IS A TREASURE CHEAST OF ORGAN SOUNDS- FROM HIS EARLY DAYS THROUGH THE 60'S WHERE HE ADAPTED HIS SOUND TO A FUNKY BEAT. HE EVEN MADE GREAT RECORDS IN THE LATE 70S DISCO ERA, LIKE 'TAILGUNNER'. J.M. WAS THE 1ST ORGANIST I EVER SAW IN CONCERT. IT WAS A GREAT EXPIERENCE TO SEE HIM. YEARS LATER, HE SINGED THE BACK OF MY L-100. HIS SIGNATURE ALWAYS WAS: "YOUR FRIEND, JIMMY MCGRIFF".