Upcoming re-issues from Concord

mgraham333

Scattered across different sites I see that there are some upcoming RVGs and Keepnews Collection re-issues on the way from Concord.

Keepnews Collection - June 3rd

====================

Sonny Rollins - Freedom Suite

McCoy Tyner - Fly With The Wind

Nat Adderley - Work Song

Coleman Hawkins - The Hawk Flies High

Wes Montgomery - Incredible Jazz Guitar

RVGs - July 1st

==========

Miles Davis - The Musings of Miles

John Coltrane - Dakar

Red Garland Trio - Groovy

Sonny Criss - This is Criss!

Keepnews Collection - September 16

=======================

Bill Evans - Sunday At The Village Vanguard

Wynton Kelly - Kelly Blue

Edited by mgraham333

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is pretty uninspired, though I am not sure I have the Tyner, so I might get that.

It's the closest thing to a classic CTI album Tyner ever made. Title track is pretty great.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply the Tyner was uninspired. I meant the re-issues, as everything has been on CD once and generally several times.

There are 2 bonus tracks on Freedom Suite:

Till There Was You (Take 1)

That alternate take was on the OJC reissue.

There Will Never Be Another You

This is a bass/drums duet recorded when OP and Max where waiting for Sonny to arrive - it was added to Roach's "Deeds Not Words" OJC reissue.

Duh - I made my own burn of the complete session ...

There Will Never Be Another You

This is a bass/drums duet recorded when OP and Max where waiting for Sonny to arrive - it was added to Roach's "Deeds Not Words" OJC reissue.

Duh - I made my own burn of the complete session ...

So they put the same bonus track on 2 different Keepnews Collection remasters - Freedom Suite & Deeds, Not Words.

Brilliant! :crazy:

Till There Was You (Take 1) was not on my OJC version....

OJC Version

========

1. The Freedom Suite

2. Someday I'll Find You

3. Till There Was You (take 4)

4. Till There Was You (take 3)

5. Shadow Waltz

Keepnews Version

============

1. Freedom Suite, The

2. Someday I'll Find You

3. Will You Still Be Mine?

4. Till There Was You (Take 4)

5. Shadow Waltz

6. Till There Was You (Take 1)

7. Till There Was You (Take 3)

8. There Will Never Be Another You

Keepnews Collection - June 3rd

====================

Nat Adderley - Work Song

Coleman Hawkins - The Hawk Flies High

The Nat Adderley was on SACD - now which disc has better sound?

The Hawk is available on a great sounding Mobile Fidelity SACD.

The Nat Adderley SACD sounds rather awful. I recently got the japanese K2 remaster, which is slightly better. But either the recording wasn't very good or all the reissues used damaged master tapes, because none of them sounds fully satisfactory, like most other Riverside sessions from that time.

Till There Was You (Take 1) was not on my OJC version....

OJC Version

========

1. The Freedom Suite

2. Someday I'll Find You

3. Till There Was You (take 4)

4. Till There Was You (take 3)

5. Shadow Waltz

Keepnews Version

============

1. Freedom Suite, The

2. Someday I'll Find You

3. Will You Still Be Mine?

4. Till There Was You (Take 4)

5. Shadow Waltz

6. Till There Was You (Take 1)

7. Till There Was You (Take 3)

8. There Will Never Be Another You

Oh - I have to admit I didn't compare take numbers and didn't assume there was another take. So Keepnews is still mining in the vaults, even though Iron Mountain keeps them ...

It is pretty uninspired, though I am not sure I have the Tyner, so I might get that.

It's the closest thing to a classic CTI album Tyner ever made. Title track is pretty great.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply the Tyner was uninspired. I meant the re-issues, as everything has been on CD once and generally several times.

Totally agree with you. And "classic CTI album" is damning with faint praise when it comes to 70's Tyner, which was my meaning. Except for the title track, the Tyner underachieves (and is uninspired) considering what he was capable of in that period.

The Nat Adderley SACD sounds rather awful. I recently got the japanese K2 remaster, which is slightly better. But either the recording wasn't very good or all the reissues used damaged master tapes, because none of them sounds fully satisfactory, like most other Riverside sessions from that time.

Really? I've not heard the SACD layer, but the Redbook layer of the SACD sure sounds nice to these ears. YMMV.

That whole list is just one big ho-freakin-hum for me.

That said, I might get Incredible Jazz Guitar simply because I don't have it in any other form and heard "D-Natural Blues" on the radio tonight. Might also get Freedom Suite for the same reason, but really: if I'd wanted them by now, I would've gotten the OJC's, so why bother? I guess those won't be in print any longer, so...

That said, I might get Incredible Jazz Guitar simply because I don't have it in any other form and heard "D-Natural Blues" on the radio tonight. Might also get Freedom Suite for the same reason, but really: if I'd wanted them by now, I would've gotten the OJC's, so why bother? I guess those won't be in print any longer, so...

Both are more than worth "getting sometime" so get some version of each.

Freedom Suite is also available on the box set: The Freelance Years, Complete Riverside and Contemporary Recordings. 5 CDs for 30 dollars from Newbury. I have the set, good remastering too (though the programming is a little odd).

That's probably the best description of this album, for better and worse. If you're a CTI fan and wondered what a McCoy Tyner CTI album might sound like, this album answers that question.

I have the record, though, and I can answer for you: boring.