Upcoming re-issues from Concord

mgraham333

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll forgive them a lot because they reissued "The Genius Hits the Road" with seven interesting extra tracks from other sessions (about which they don't seem to have much information). I bought the Lp when it was new nearly 50 years ago and it was the first Lp I ever had stolen! It might have been available as a cd briefly before this but I was never able to find it. My wife walked by as I was playing Mississippi Mud and commented "He makes everything sound better doesn't he?" Actually one of the extra tracks is a version of The Long and Winding Road that has a string arrangement so bad even Ray can't cut through it. Makes Phil Specter's arrangement seem austere.

I'll forgive them a lot because they reissued "The Genius Hits the Road" with seven interesting extra tracks from other sessions (about which they don't seem to have much information). I bought the Lp when it was new nearly 50 years ago and it was the first Lp I ever had stolen! It might have been available as a cd briefly before this but I was never able to find it. My wife walked by as I was playing Mississippi Mud and commented "He makes everything sound better doesn't he?" Actually one of the extra tracks is a version of The Long and Winding Road that has a string arrangement so bad even Ray can't cut through it. Makes Phil Specter's arrangement seem austere.

You've obviously got a different selection of bonus tracks from the CD issue :)

Mine has

Sentimental journey

Hit the road, Jack

Blue moon of Kentucky

Rainy night in Georgia

I'm movin' on

Swanee river rock

Lonely Avenue

I dare say all of yours are "road" type songs, too.

MG

Mine substitutes for the last 3, Long and Winding Road, I Was on Georgia Time and TAke Me Home Country Roads. It looks like Concord used only things from the Charles estate and nothing from Atlantic. Is yours on Rhino? Now if they'd only rerelease Ray singing RAndy Newman's Sail Away.

Edited by medjuck

Etta James singing Sail Away!!! Didn't know about that. Gotta get it.

It's on an album called "Etta James" on Chess. The LP before "Come a little closer" but it hasn't, as far as I know, been reissued. It's her best album, I reckon. She also does "God's song" and "Leave your hat on".

If you find it on CD, let me know.

leave-your-hat-on.jpg

MG

Allen,

Hip-O-Select reissued this some time back: http://www.hip-oselect.com/scr.public.prod...46-2d66bcad1f78

Ooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Thanks Lon - I'll look for that on Amazon UK.

MG

Amazingly, it's only available as an MP3 download from Amazon UK - and that's currently unavailable!!!!

Now, how can they run out of effin' downloads?

MG

It's on an album called "Etta James" on Chess. The LP before "Come a little closer" but it hasn't, as far as I know, been reissued. It's her best album, I reckon. She also does "God's song" and "Leave your hat on".

leave-your-hat-on.jpg

MG

I imagine you've heard Tell Mama, MG. That's my favorite E.J. album. Bought Etta James when it came out. Sounded like an attempt to appeal to the rock crowd to me - didn't like it & got rid of it back then. Different tastes.

leave-your-hat-on.jpg

MG

I imagine you've heard Tell Mama, MG. That's my favorite E.J. album. Bought Etta James when it came out. Sounded like an attempt to appeal to the rock crowd to me - didn't like it & got rid of it back then. Different tastes.

Yes, I have "Tell mama". I like it a lot. Still have my original copy on UK Chess. Another good 'un is "Etta James sings for lovers" - I have the CD issue ("These foolish things") with lots of bonus tracks. Big James Brown influence in her phrasing on many numbers.

MG