Upcoming re-issues from Concord

mgraham333

That whole list is just one big ho-freakin-hum for me.

That said, I might get Incredible Jazz Guitar simply because I don't have it in any other form and heard "D-Natural Blues" on the radio tonight. Might also get Freedom Suite for the same reason, but really: if I'd wanted them by now, I would've gotten the OJC's, so why bother? I guess those won't be in print any longer, so...

Freedom Suite is also available on the box set: The Freelance Years, Complete Riverside and Contemporary Recordings. 5 CDs for 30 dollars from Newbury. I have the set, good remastering too (though the programming is a little odd).

So, too, is the fact that take 1 of "Till There Was You" is not on the box. Where did Keepnews find this take? :blink:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Y'know, it's a damn shame that the folks at Concord haven't figured out a way to re-issue the various Contemporary, Fantasy, etc. titles the way they're releasing the Riverside and Prestige titles (Keepnews and RVG Series, respectively). Not that anyone would buy those titles, but then again: how are the sales for these reissues going?

Y'know, it's a damn shame that the folks at Concord haven't figured out a way to re-issue the various Contemporary, Fantasy, etc. titles the way they're releasing the Riverside and Prestige titles (Keepnews and RVG Series, respectively). Not that anyone would buy those titles, but then again: how are the sales for these reissues going?

Sales must be good enough to keep the series going.

Yeah, I really wonder about the sales too. A lot of these seem to me to be recordings that if you wanted 'em you'd have 'em by now. Are they picking up that many new sales or people re-buying them for the new remastering? Inquiring minds...

It's also interesting to me that eMusic still has the OJC versions of stuff in their catalog when a RVG or Keepnews has replaced it at retail. So far, I haven't noticed any former Fantasy now Concord titles leaving eMusic, and knock on wood, I hope they don't start pulling titles. Having access to almost all the Fantasy stuff as insurance against Concord letting it go out of print is a major reason I'm with eMusic.

Y'know, it's a damn shame that the folks at Concord haven't figured out a way to re-issue the various Contemporary, Fantasy, etc.

The Contemporary K2's had excellent sound as well as the Fantasy K2's, but that seems to be the only cd remastering of this material, and those reissues are now long OOP. It'd be nice to revive this part of the catalog as there is a ton of excellent material there. Like why not start the Lester Koenig Collection or something like that :rolleyes: .

edit to say remastering of the cd remasters already available -_-

Edited by Holy Ghost

Yeah, I really wonder about the sales too. A lot of these seem to me to be recordings that if you wanted 'em you'd have 'em by now. Are they picking up that many new sales or people re-buying them for the new remastering? Inquiring minds...

Maybe there are new listeners enough to support these being released in new versions. . . they would want NEW versions rather than old ones, and the added bonus is the occasional jazz veteran dweeb who will rebuy for an extra track or the new remastering. . . (Hey I'm the perfect jazz dweeb so I'm throwing the stone).

Also, consider this: the retainlers will autiomatically order the new release. . . they won't ordinarily automatically reorder the OLD cd version. This could be a way for Concord to get orders from distribution (?) And there's likely the thought that a title that sold before will sell again (the flip side to Cuscuna's belief that if it didn't sell before it won't sell now).

Edited by jazzbo

The pattern I've generally noticed is that the RVG's are slowly replacing all of the K2 prestiges and that's why I'm a little irritated and nonplussed with this series. There is no way I'm replacing a K2, which back in the day was around the $14-16 range for an RVG. I've invested too much money in the K2s to go back and upgrade, if that's what you want to call it. The only RVG's I own are the ones that were either not a K2 or I never owned before, e.g., the RRK, Mating Call, We Three, etc. Otherwise, this is a pretty boring reissue program IMOP.

The pattern I've generally noticed is that the RVG's are slowly replacing all of the K2 prestiges and that's why I'm a little irritated and nonplussed with this series. There is no way I'm replacing a K2, which back in the day was around the $14-16 range for an RVG. I've invested too much money in the K2s to go back and upgrade, if that's what you want to call it. The only RVG's I own are the ones that were either not a K2 or I never owned before, e.g., the RRK, Mating Call, We Three, etc. Otherwise, this is a pretty boring reissue program IMOP.

That and the fact that the general consensus is that the Prestige K2's absolutely smoke the RVG's.

That and the fact that the general consensus is that the Prestige K2's absolutely smoke the RVG's.

Exactly!

Exactly!

And I still say that many of the original OJC CD issues of the late '80s and the 90's (Prestige, Contemporary, or otherwise) continue to sound mighty fine, and are in no need of "upgrading" (e.g., Shelly Manne Black Hawk's--no need for a "Lester Koenig Collection" there). :rolleyes:

Edited by Ron S

fwiw - there is an article in the new Jazz Times the goes into the remastering process for the new Concord releases and why if you already own older versions of them why you should upgrade. I haven't heard the K2's (which they didn't mention) so I can't comment on the sound of those but the the double disc Trane-Monk sessions that just came do sound better then any of the old releases on CD (non K2) or Vinyl.

I will be picking up the Hawkins and Adderly because I don't already have them.

Edited by WorldB3

Personally, I'm not a blanket fan of the K2s. I prefer RVGs I've compared, and even newer nonK2 remasterings. It's all so subjective.

Also, consider this: the retainlers will autiomatically order the new release. . . they won't ordinarily automatically reorder the OLD cd version. This could be a way for Concord to get orders from distribution (?) And there's likely the thought that a title that sold before will sell again (the flip side to Cuscuna's belief that if it didn't sell before it won't sell now).

That's actually a very good point, especially since I've seen the RVGs on shelves where I never saw an OJC.

That's actually a very good point, especially since I've seen the RVGs on shelves where I never saw an OJC.

Yes indeed, a VERY good point, Lon!

• 3 months later...

This is terrible news - we want a Dolphy/Little complete 2-CD set, not another remastering of Volume One. I'll try to call on Monday if I have time at work. Does anyone know the 1-800 number again (I have it somewhere).

Maybe I can get them to reissue Bobby Timmons' Holiday Soul by Xmas.

\Bertrand.

Well, I hope Vol. 2 of the Dolphy/Little and the Memorial album also get the RVG treatment. Unfortunately, I won't be surprised if they don't.

Bertrand has a point — we'll probably never see "Status Seeking" and "God Bless the Child" in any kind of new remastering. It's a shame, because a complete set would sell (I think) to both new listeners and collectors.

Still, I hope the new RVG can hook new listeners and make Dolphy fans out of them.

Keepnews Collection - June 3rd

====================

Nat Adderley - Work Song

Coleman Hawkins - The Hawk Flies High

The Nat Adderley was on SACD - now which disc has better sound?

The Hawk is available on a great sounding Mobile Fidelity SACD.

Anyone able to compare the various versions of The Hawk Flies High?? I note that Mobile Fidelity do a SACD version and an LP version too, such choice but it's perhaps my favourite 50s Hawkins session.