Upcoming re-issues from Concord

mgraham333

Personally Laton, I don't even bother to venture a guess these days whether we will or will not see a new version of this or that. I can't successfully predict what the majors will do or even the independent labels. And the situation is changing all the time.

I remember ten to fifteen years ago when things were dropping out of print and I was thinking "Well, what will new listeners to the genre do because this stuff is now out of print?" Now much of that is coming back into print, much that I wouldn't have predicted.

I'm in such a situation collection wise now that I really ought not to buy a single "re-remaster" of anything---my stereo seems to make everything sound pretty good and I have so much. I AM a sucker for the RVG series-es though, and so I'll buy the Booker-Little knowing there's a chance that there will be no Vol. 2 re-released. I have the Complete Dolphy box anyway. . . (and frankly I am sometimes amazed at how this material sounds in that box). Still it wouldn't completely surprise me (but I'm certainly not predicting) to find that they release a complete set of the Five Spot material remastered by Tarantino in 2009 . . . and then in early 2010 release an RVG of the second volume.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone able to compare the various versions of The Hawk Flies High?? I note that Mobile Fidelity do a SACD version and an LP version too, such choice but it's perhaps my favourite 50s Hawkins session.

The Mobile Fidelity SACD sounds as good as it gets - see SA-CD.net for a comparative review.

Edited by mikeweil

Still it wouldn't completely surprise me (but I'm certainly not predicting) to find that they release a complete set of the Five Spot material remastered by Tarantino in 2009 . . . and then in early 2010 release an RVG of the second volume.

I think you've uncovered the business plan.

Disagree - We'll get a poorly selected 36 minute compilation, "Eric Dolphy and Booker Little Play For Lovers".

Was going to get the Boogaloo disc, but then I noticed that it's already part of the Legends of Acid Jazz series, which is still in print and, IIRC, sounds pretty good already (that and the fact that it's couple with another album onto one disc makes this the more logical choice for me).

Same for the Burrell. I see it's still in print as an OJC. But, like Lon, I've been impressed with the Prestige RVGs I've heard so far, so I don't see any reason NOT to wait for this RVG.

Still it wouldn't completely surprise me (but I'm certainly not predicting) to find that they release a complete set of the Five Spot material remastered by Tarantino in 2009 . . . and then in early 2010 release an RVG of the second volume.

I think you've uncovered the business plan.

Disagree - We'll get a poorly selected 36 minute compilation, "Eric Dolphy and Booker Little Play For Lovers".

Followed by Eric Dolphy and Booker Little Blue Moods, Jazz Showcase, Prestige Profiles and Greatest Hits.

I hear ya and don't disagree.

I do. Complete 5 Spot was the sort of thing that Fantasy was starting to do beautifully (Evans Vanguard and Garland Prelude and Monk/Trane sets as well as the Stitt, Miles and Trane boxes) before they sold out to the clueless crew at Concord.

I do. Complete 5 Spot was the sort of thing that Fantasy was starting to do beautifully (Evans Vanguard and Garland Prelude and Monk/Trane sets as well as the Stitt, Miles and Trane boxes) before they sold out to the clueless crew at Concord.

weren't all of the box sets you mention released after the sale to concord?

I believe so. The Evans is my favorite of the bunch. Homely packaging but the sound on that set is something else. And it was/is really affordable. It did seem promising that a Dolphy set would come to fruition. Who knows, maybe we'll be surprised down the line. Until then, I'm going to enjoy the music in the format I have it.

My understanding from a board member in the know (Chuck, I believe, if I remember) was that all the work on those was done by Fantasy, and they were already in the pipeline when Concord took over, and that Concord then got rid of the people who developed those sets. I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that is the story.

Edited by felser

and yet they did release them, nearly two years after acquiring the catalog. if they did terminate key people, maybe they'll hire staff that will think of new ways to reissue the back catalog that are more economically-viable. it seems to me that repacking old material for a small minority (namely us) isn't the best approach for the future of the music or the industry.

Edited by jazzshrink

and yet they did release them, nearly two years after acquiring the catalog. if they did terminate key people, maybe they'll hire staff that will think of new ways to reissue the back catalog that are more economically-viable. it seems to me that repacking old material for a small minority (namely us) isn't the best approach for the future of the music or the industry.

1 - It's been a long time since they released an interesting package now. Not totally sure when they acquired the catalog, but don't think it was two years prior to those releases.

2 - Hope I don't have to listen to another "downloads are the future" lecture here. We, the small minority, are the people who make this catalog viable beyond the same couple of titles being rereleased over and over and over and over....

...We, the small minority, are the people who make this catalog viable beyond the same couple of titles being rereleased over and over and over and over....

Consider this,

- CD sales were down almost 20% for 2006-2007.

- All jazz account for less than 4% of total cd sales.

- Jazz reissues constitute only a portion of that dwindling 4%.

- Since you don't seem to like downloads, subtract from that tiny figure all the downloads made by board members and other serious jazz fans like them.

- Finally, subtract all the used and promo cds purchased (you of all people should appreciate this last point).

Now tell me how viable it is to keep doing the same thing we've been doing for the past 30-40 years.

• 3 months later...

Was Wynton Kelly's 'Kelly Blue' ever reissued? I cannot seem to find it on cduniverse or amazon.

Actually, I meant as a Keepnews issue. It was listed as one being done on the first post of this thread.

"Keepnews Collection - September 16

=======================

Bill Evans - Sunday At The Village Vanguard

Wynton Kelly - Kelly Blue"

Edited by peterintoronto

IMHO, the hybrid SACD of Kelly Blue sounds as good as it gets ...

amazon.com link

I disagree with that. I had the SACD and thought it sounded poor because the tapes were in bad shape. But then I got the a japanese CD reissue (VICJ-60299), which sounds much better. Mike's and my reviews are available on SA-CD.net:

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/1610

Since then I also bought the 45rpm LP reissue, which again sounds better than the japanese CD, and provides state of the art Riverside sound. It shows that the SACD is a greatly missed opportunity to offer this album in the best possible digital reissue form.

IMHO, the hybrid SACD of Kelly Blue sounds as good as it gets ...

amazon.com link

I disagree with that. I had the SACD and thought it sounded poor because the tapes were in bad shape. But then I got the a japanese CD reissue (VICJ-60299), which sounds much better. Mike's and my reviews are available on SA-CD.net:

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/1610

Since then I also bought the 45rpm LP reissue, which again sounds better than the japanese CD, and provides state of the art Riverside sound. It shows that the SACD is a greatly missed opportunity to offer this album in the best possible digital reissue form.

You guys are crazy! I have this one in a cardboard ZYX 20bit edition and will not replace it... it's far from the greatest ever hardbop album anyway, in my opinion!