Upcoming re-issues from Concord

mgraham333

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well its seems evident that there's no Blue Note reissues on the horizon

You're right, and yet it is their 70th anniversary and all.

I'm reminded of something Chuck wrote last year:

I suggest a year from now Blue Note and related labels will be gone. Pay attention to ALL titles, not just the deletions. The old EMI model does not work now. The parent company will try to live off copyrights in the future, not physical product. Not cool.

Where's that list again with those 50 newly printed Prestige titles? Not sure if these were just a European thing.. there was a thread and I posted in it as well, but I can't seem to find it.

This one?

Those don't seem to have been newly released here in the US.

Yes, I think that's the list, but there was another thread about those reissues. saw some of them in the "new releases" part of a local shop a few months ago - they weren't out here back when that thread was started!

Well three new Prestige RVG's coming out 9/8/09:

Thelonious Monk: MONK

Red Garland Quintet w/ John Coltrane-Dig it!

Sonny Rollins-Moving Out

Glad to see the RVG series at Concord is still reissuing titles unlike another jazz label :rolleyes:

Yeah, on MONK, I bought the record, (skipped a cassette, thankfully), then the original CD, then the Monk Prestige box and also the Proper box. Just what I need, an RVG so I can can have opportunity to buy the same material for the fifth time! :excited:

I've never heard Rollin's Moving Out.

Anybody know what's that like?

Quintet session w/Dorham on the frontline & the Elmo Hope Trio (Hope/Percy Heath/Art Blakey) for four tracks, and then a leftover Thelonious Monk/Sonny Rollins track with Paul Chambers & Art Taylor added to the original 10"-LP to make it a 12"-LP.

It's good and although I wouldn't call it a classic, it's still worth having. Imagine if Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers had employed Sonny & Elmo and you oughta have a pretty good idea. Or if the Elmo Hope Trio replaced Max Roach and backed Sonny & Kenny in the new Brown-Roach Inc. after Clifford passed away.

Anybody have an opinion on the Garland?

My opinion is that I would like to see Concord do for the Red Garland sessions that produced half of this album and all of ALL MORNIN' LONG, HIGH PRESSURE, and SOUL JUNCTION what they're doing for the upcoming Miles/Sonny Prestige recordings. Those two sessions that produced those 3-1/2 records fit nicely on two CDs.

Unless, of course, Concord is finally going to get around to releasing the third and final Trane box. I won't hold my breath for either, though.... <_<

As for the album itself, it certainly lives up to its title, even if it does skimp on the quantity of music (certainly not the quality!)

Anybody have an opinion on the Garland?

My opinion is that I would like to see Concord do for the Red Garland sessions that produced half of this album and all of ALL MORNIN' LONG, HIGH PRESSURE, and SOUL JUNCTION what they're doing for the upcoming Miles/Sonny Prestige recordings. Those two sessions that produced those 3-1/2 records fit nicely on two CDs.

Unless, of course, Concord is finally going to get around to releasing the third and final Trane box. I won't hold my breath for either, though.... <_<

As for the album itself, it certainly lives up to its title, even if it does skimp on the quantity of music (certainly not the quality!)

Thanks Big Al. Of course I just reposted this question over in the Red Garland on Prestige thread, so never mind that.

I've never heard Rollin's Moving Out.

Anybody know what's that like?

Quintet session w/Dorham on the frontline & the Elmo Hope Trio (Hope/Percy Heath/Art Blakey) for four tracks, and then a leftover Thelonious Monk/Sonny Rollins track with Paul Chambers & Art Taylor added to the original 10"-LP to make it a 12"-LP.

It's good and although I wouldn't call it a classic, it's still worth having. Imagine if Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers had employed Sonny & Elmo and you oughta have a pretty good idea. Or if the Elmo Hope Trio replaced Max Roach and backed Sonny & Kenny in the new Brown-Roach Inc. after Clifford passed away.

That sounds great to me, looking forward to picking that one up.

Poor Elmo plays on the whole record and Monk only Rollins, Dorham and Monk get their names on the front cover.

• 3 weeks later...

And speaking of Concord, it looks like that third Coltrane box is actually coming out!

That's great news! Checked their website. 5 CD set, 'Sidesteps", coming October 6. Good price, too ($59.98 list price). And they also have a new Rickie Lee Jones CD coming (I'm a fan).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I want to say that "Monk" - not to be confused with the trio album with the same title" is, in my opinion, a very underrated Monk record. I love the tunes on it and with Frank Foster and Sonny Rollins on tenor - it's just a great record. Got the RVG reissue and I am really enjoying once again.