Roy Campbell Ensemble - Akhenaten Suite

clarke68

The vote is still out on this one for me. I've spun it up almost half a dozen times, I can't decide if I like it or love it. Campbell's playing is excellent: smooth & soulful; and the proceedings have a nice laid back groove. Just might be a bit too laid back to be a true keeper.

Anyone else heard this and have any opinions?

The whole piece has an Egyptian vibe to it. It may be based on actual North African scales/modes for all I know...I haven't read the liners because I don't own the disc (yet...just listening on Rhapsody for now). The set list is:

1. Akhenaten (Amenophis, Amenhotep IV)

2. Aten and Amarna

3. Pharaoh's Revenge (Akhenaten) Intro Part 1

4. Pharaoh's Revenge Part 1

5. Pharaoh's Revenge (Tutankhamun) Intro Part 2

6. Pharaoh's Revenge Part 2

7. Sunset On The Nile

Edited by clarke68

There's an AAJ article about the commissioned work and the performance.

I found it interesting that Akhenaten was described as the Egyptian king that changed Egyptian culture and religion forever, which certainly is NOT true.

It's on eMusic; I'll download it soon.

I was there for the live performance and wasn't impressed enough to want to check out the recording. I certainly enjoyed it but it didn't strike me as something that desperately needed to be released as a recording.
Thanks for sharing...musta been a great festival regardless. Did you catch the Will Dixon performance, 17 Musicians in Search of a Sound: Darfur? I've heard it was amazing. Aum has that coming out soon, too (available now only at aumfidelity.com).

I really like this CD a lot. Campbell plays with a lot of heart and fire. I like the textures from the violin (Billy Bang), vibes, and trumpet frontline. The playing is a little ragged in spots, but that only increases its authenticity and honesty (imho). Sound quality is pretty good, the bass is pretty well-recorded which is always a concern I have with live recordings.