Dexter Gordon- The Rainbow People

Jim R

Jim, I think this is another of those relatively recent Steeplechase "clearing out the vaults" Dexter releases, like that other one with Benny Bailey, Revelation (ST 3173).

Another one to try to hunt down. Maybe the next time they release a Michael Cochrane trio session I'll throw that in when I call Mr. Crawford.

Columbia Records legal department negotiated a buy-out of Dexter's contract with SteepleChase in the late '70s. Part of the negotiated deal was SteepleChase's commercial ownership of tapes from Danish and Swedish radio. This record is part of that deal. Danish law only requires labels to pay musicians when the record is issued, so I'm sure we will see a flow of Dex records from S'Chase for some time. The Dexter In Radioland series is part of this too.

Can you tell I used to have a working relationship with the label?

I had forgotten about that one. I wanted to pick it up when it first came out, but CD Universe had it listed as backordered. I checked again today with the same status evident. I'm probable going to pick up the new Dex box so I'll have to chek with that Stateside to see if they have Rainbow people as well.

It's really good. Dexter Gordon was in top form at the time and the

parternship with Benny Bailey produces inspired moments. They

integrated well with the rhythm section (which seem to have played

extensively with Gordon then). One of the best of the recent Dexter

releases.