Dexter Gordon

mrjazzman

Jive Fernando : Dexter Gordon (ts) George Duke (p) Donald Rafael Garrett (b) Oliver Johnson (d)

"Both/And Club", San Francisco, CA, c. August 1970

Fried bananas Chiaroscuro CR2029

Blue Monk Chiaroscuro CR2029

The shadow of your smile (*) Everest FS360, Chiar. CR2029, Zeta (F)ZET705 [CD]

Montmartre (*) Everest FS360, Chiar. CR2029, Zeta (F)ZET705 [CD]

Wee dot (*) Everest FS360, Zeta (F)ZET705 [CD]

The rainbow people (*) Everest FS360, Zeta (F)ZET705 [CD]

Note: "Fried Bananas" mistitled "Jive Fernando"; "Wee dot" mistitled "Oui dot [Why not]"; "Montmartre" as "Momatta" on Zeta and Everest.

Donald Rafael Garrett as Ralph Garnett on Chiaroscuro and Zeta and as Racquel Garrett on Everest.

(*) These four titles also on Dargil (Sp)FS360 titled "Gordon's Gotham".

"Montmartre" is re-titled "Bon Macha" on Everest FS360. This LP contains 2 tracks that play "Montmartre"; the other one is mis-titled "Momatta" and is edited.

Zeta (F)ZET705 [CD] titled "Dexter Gordon Quartet".

This session may possibly have been recorded in 1969.

Thus spaketh the Lord....

Jive Fernando : Dexter Gordon (ts) George Duke (p) Donald Rafael Garrett (b) Oliver Johnson (d)

"Both/And Club", San Francisco, CA, c. August 1970

Fried bananas Chiaroscuro CR2029

Blue Monk Chiaroscuro CR2029

The shadow of your smile (*) Everest FS360, Chiar. CR2029, Zeta (F)ZET705 [CD]

Montmartre (*) Everest FS360, Chiar. CR2029, Zeta (F)ZET705 [CD]

Wee dot (*) Everest FS360, Zeta (F)ZET705 [CD]

The rainbow people (*) Everest FS360, Zeta (F)ZET705 [CD]

Note: "Fried Bananas" mistitled "Jive Fernando"; "Wee dot" mistitled "Oui dot [Why not]"; "Montmartre" as "Momatta" on Zeta and Everest.

Donald Rafael Garrett as Ralph Garnett on Chiaroscuro and Zeta and as Racquel Garrett on Everest.

(*) These four titles also on Dargil (Sp)FS360 titled "Gordon's Gotham".

"Montmartre" is re-titled "Bon Macha" on Everest FS360. This LP contains 2 tracks that play "Montmartre"; the other one is mis-titled "Momatta" and is edited.

Zeta (F)ZET705 [CD] titled "Dexter Gordon Quartet".

This session may possibly have been recorded in 1969.

Thus spaketh the Lord....

thanks

• 12 years later...

It would be nice if this, and this thread were merged into one - http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/topic/32285-dexter-gordon/#comment-608903

I think it's a very good, very illustrative Dexter Gordon blowing date, and the recording quality is not THAT bad. You can hear when Gordon moves away from the microphone, and either turns or walks a couple of paces, which is kind of cool in a holographic way.
Chiaroscuro CR2829 has no discographic information, and the liner notes are rather abstract, to say the least. Regarding the titles of some cuts, I have read the Jive Fernando is Fried Bananas, and I honestly believe what's titled Momadua [wtf is that?] is really Montmartre.
There were several CD incarnations of this date, at least one was produced by George Duke, and at least two of the tracks were mercilessly cut down, probably to fit on a cd. 
Is it 'essential'? I'm not smart enough to say or know, but it's some good machine-gunning Dexter, with some soulful lovin' thrown in. He plays a 15-minute long Blue Monk, and it isn't a Disco version, if you know what I mean.

This is the version I have:

51IGAEypW4L.jpg

It's probably the most legit version, since it was released on Duke's record label.  I like it; Dex does go off mike and is not miked great to begin with, but it's a good, solid date.  It contains 7 tracks; not listed in Lord above is "There Will Never Be Another You."

6 hours ago, mjzee said:

This is the version I have:

51IGAEypW4L.jpg

It's probably the most legit version, since it was released on Duke's record label.  I like it; Dex does go off mike and is not miked great to begin with, but it's a good, solid date.  It contains 7 tracks; not listed in Lord above is "There Will Never Be Another You."

Your cd is actually the one that I referred to as being 'slimmed down', ostensibly by George Duke, to fit all the cuts on one cd, which is about 76 minutes long.

Chiaroscuro CR2829 LP    BPE 6101 CD
Jive Fernando 14:10          Fried Bananas 9:27
Blue Monk 15:06                Blue Monk 13:02

Edited by Dmitry

I have this, obviously from the same date. When it came out, there was an article in Down Beat "Dexter Gordon ripped off". They obviously used the title "Gordon´s Gotham" referring to the 1981 "Gotham City" and as you said, there were no liner notes infos about the recording date. The sound quality is just so so, but it´s good playing and interesting to hear George Duke on acoustic piano. On my LP, the title "Montmatre" is mistitled "Momatta". 

Download (5).jpg

• 1 month later...

Really digging this now:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.jazzmessengers.com%

The only solution to not enough Dexter is more Dexter!

On 1/22/2021 at 1:01 PM, Dmitry said:

It would be nice if this, and this thread were merged into one - http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/topic/32285-dexter-gordon/#comment-608903

I second this request, and change the name of the thread to Dexter Gordon Corner.

• 6 months later...

Dexter Gordon & Friends Keystone SF NYE 1980 NPR

Dexter Gordon Quartet & Friends live at The Keystone Korner jazz club in San Francisco on New Year's Eve 1980. This concert was broadcast as a NPR Jazz Alive special, and was recorded from WBEZ FM in Chicago. Thanks to Mark Rabin for sharing this recording from his collection. Unfortunately, the first portion of the tape of this show was damaged and is not included. If anyone has the full broadcast, please share with us. Read about Dexter's concert at Ronnie Scott's in London earlier that year: https://jazzjournal.co.uk/2020/06/29/jj-06-80-dexter-gordon-quartet-at-ronnie-scotts/

Musicians:
Dexter Gordon Quartet:
Dexter Gordon - tenor sax
Kirk Lightsey - piano
David Eubanks - bass
Eddie Gladden - drums

Friends (on this recording):
Woody Shaw - trumpet
Sonny Stitt - tenor sax
Ernie Andrews - vocal