Esperanza Spalding

sonia_fontana

While the initial post may be spam, she's very good. I saw her at the Freihoffer Jazz Fest in Saratoga last summer, and I was genuinely impressed. I also have picked up her debut CD and I think it's extremely well done. She's a great bassist and a wonderful singer.

Just saying...

What I have heard of her (first album) will certainly not lower the level of mainstream musical quality, should it get there. Damned if I can find fault with that.

What I do or do not find beyond that is a personal matter far outside the realm of Cultural Guardian.

Georgia Anne Muldrow says what?

2 or three different things simultaneously, stacked in fourths over a killer subliminally dissonant groove. Gotsta love that, and I do.

I've lived in a world where "jazz" had a "popular" center full of people that only sometimes were as "worthy" as the people on or outside the "fringes", and I've lived in one where it was all on or outside the fringes. Truthfully, I think it works out better for everybody the first way.

Dallas has beaucoup "major thoroughfares" that run east-west. but only a few that run north-south. And that has (and has been designed to have) "economic repercussions". So if we might be entering a time where there is a possible sympathy for building another north-south road, I say let's not bitch too much about the fact that it might not go as far either way as we know it could, if for no other reason than that once a road is built, it either eventually gets expanded or goes to hell completely.