Hats off to Rafa!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No one said its a "fluke". I'm well aware of his record on clay and his consecutive French championships. And I am constantly amazed by his shot-making on clay.

I'm just waiting for him to win a Slam on a different surface. Borg dominated on clay and also won Wimbledon five times. Lendl dominated on clay and won several US Opens, too.

What's Nadal's excuse?

When it comes to clay, Nadal is a player of another caliber. It can be argued that Federer is the world's second best clay court player, but you would never know it today. He faired better on the clay court ATP tour but today he was just simply out-classed and it was painful to watch. Too many unforced errors, no back-up strategy and just being sinply out-played. You'd think Federer would've studied the last three years of videos of R. Garros finals/semi-finals, and try to figure out how to beat Nadal; in turn he was beat by a player who's clay court game is nearly flawless.

Concerning other surfaces, I think Nadal is breaking through at least on grass; he was in the final with Federer last year at Wimbledon.

edit to say that even Djokovic gave a more challenging match to Nadal than Federer did in the final :o

Edited by Holy Ghost

• 1 year later...

1e0f5a80a2215df6ab9981c059447aca_extras_albumes_0.jpg

French Open 2010... Rafa's back again, getting his seventh Grand Slam, his 40th tournament (of which, apart from 7 Grand Slams, he has won 18 ATP Masters Series/ATP World Tour Masters 1000), the first "Red Grand Slam" ever (Montecarlo, Roma, Madrid & RG in the same year)... and he's back leading the ATP ranking!!!!

I'm just waiting for him to win a Slam on a different surface.

Singles Career Titles (40):

2010 (4) Roland Garros (Outdoor/Clay), ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Madrid (Outdoor/Clay) , ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Rome (Outdoor/Clay) , ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Monte Carlo (Outdoor/Clay)

2009 (5) ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Rome (Outdoor/Clay) , Barcelona (Outdoor/Clay) , ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Monte Carlo (Outdoor/Clay) , ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Indian Wells (Outdoor/Hard) , Australian Open (Outdoor/Hard)

2008 (8) Beijing Olympics (Outdoor/Hard) , ATP Masters Series Canada (Outdoor/Hard) , Wimbledon (Outdoor/Grass) , London / Queen's Club (Outdoor/Grass) , Roland Garros (Outdoor/Clay) , ATP Masters Series Hamburg (Outdoor/Clay) , Barcelona (Outdoor/Clay) , ATP Masters Series Monte Carlo (Outdoor/Clay)

2007 (6) Stuttgart (Outdoor/Clay) , Roland Garros (Outdoor/Clay) , ATP Masters Series Rome (Outdoor/Clay) , Barcelona (Outdoor/Clay) , ATP Masters Series Monte Carlo (Outdoor/Clay) , ATP Masters Series Indian Wells (Outdoor/Hard)

2006 (5) Roland Garros (Outdoor/Clay) , ATP Masters Series Rome (Outdoor/Clay) , Barcelona (Outdoor/Clay) , ATP Masters Series Monte Carlo (Outdoor/Clay) , Dubai (Outdoor/Hard)

2005 (11) ATP Masters Series Madrid (Indoor/Hard) , Beijing (Outdoor/Hard) , ATP Masters Series Canada (Outdoor/Hard) , Stuttgart (Outdoor/Clay) , Bastad (Outdoor/Clay) , Roland Garros (Outdoor/Clay) , ATP Masters Series Rome (Outdoor/Clay) , Barcelona (Outdoor/Clay) , ATP Masters Series Monte Carlo (Outdoor/Clay) , Acapulco (Outdoor/Clay) , Costa Do Sauipe (Outdoor/Clay)

2004 (1) Sopot (Outdoor/Clay)

Nadal's fifth was a smash! And not a single set lost :rolleyes:

Surprise came from the mild reactions from the usually much more agressive Robin Soderling!

Two hours and 13 minutes was a fast three-set victory;

Hats off also to Italy's Francesca Schiavone who defeated Australia's Samantha Stosur in the women's final!

Her first major tournament win!

Edited to correct name of the defeated opponent of Schiavone.

Edited by brownie

Surprise came from the mild reactions from the usually much more agressive Robin Soderling!

Hats off also to Italy's Francesca Schiavone who defeated Denmark's Caroline Wozniacki in the women's final!

Schiavone defeated Australia's Sam Stosur in the final, not Wozniacki.

Hats off also to Italy's Francesca Schiavone who defeated Denmark's Caroline Wozniacki in the women's final!

Schiavone defeated Australia's Sam Stosur in the final, not Wozniacki.

Mais oui! Me very bad :mellow:

Correcting my earlier post!

• 3 months later...

TĂ­tulos de Grand Slam

1. Roger Federer (SUI): 16 (4 AUS, 1 RG, 6 WIM, 5 US)

2. Pete Sampras (EEUU): 14 (2 AUS, 7 WIM, 5 US)

3. Roy Emerson (AUS): 12 (6 AUS, 2 RG, 2 WIM, 2 US)

4. Rod Laver (AUS): 11 (3 AUS, 2 RG, 4 WIM, 2 US)

+. Bjorn Borg (SUE): 11 (6 RG, 5 WIM)

6. Bill Tilden (EEUU): 10 (3 WIM, 7 US)

7. Rafael Nadal (ESP): 9 (1 AUS, 5 RG, 2 WIM, 1 US)

8. Andre Agassi (EEUU): 8 (4 AUS, 1 RG, 1 WIM, 2 US)

+. Fred Perry (GBR): 8 (1 AUS, 1 RG, 3 WIM, 3 US)

+. Jimmy Connors (EEUU): 8 (1 AUS, 2 WIM, 5 US)

+. Ken Rosewall (AUS): 8 (4 AUS, 2 RG, 2 US)

+. Ivan Lendl (RCH): 8 (2 AUS, 3 RG, 3 US)

Impressive for Nadal to have surpassed already Lendl, Connors and Agassi in terms of Grand Slam titles.

The historical comparison is slightly flawed of course, because before the 1990s the Australian Open was no considered that important, so many top players only played it occasionally, allowing the Aussies to rule at home. Borg played it only once, early in his career.

Edited by Claude

• 8 months later...

I know there's another thread somewhere where Dan had challenged Nadal's tennis. I seem to recall you thinking he was a flash in the pan or one trick pony. Clay is obviously his surface with something like 18 losses out of 1,000 matches, but I think he has proved to the rest of us that he is now a historical figure in the the tennis world.

I know that you watch a lot of tennis and it baffled me early on when you didn't see him as an up and coming world class player.

Surely you have changed your opinion?

And I just want to say that this post is not an attack on you Dan. Seems that needs to be said around here these days!

Just wondering when/if your opinion of Rafael Nadal has changed over the years.

• 6 years later...

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/nadal-wawrinka-roland-garros-2017-final-report

Rafa!!!.jpg

On 14/9/2010 at 3:48 PM, Claude said:

TĂ­tulos de Grand Slam

1. Roger Federer (SUI): 16 (4 AUS, 1 RG, 6 WIM, 5 US)

2. Pete Sampras (EEUU): 14 (2 AUS, 7 WIM, 5 US)

3. Roy Emerson (AUS): 12 (6 AUS, 2 RG, 2 WIM, 2 US)

4. Rod Laver (AUS): 11 (3 AUS, 2 RG, 4 WIM, 2 US)

+. Bjorn Borg (SUE): 11 (6 RG, 5 WIM)

6. Bill Tilden (EEUU): 10 (3 WIM, 7 US)

7. Rafael Nadal (ESP): 9 (1 AUS, 5 RG, 2 WIM, 1 US)

8. Andre Agassi (EEUU): 8 (4 AUS, 1 RG, 1 WIM, 2 US)

+. Fred Perry (GBR): 8 (1 AUS, 1 RG, 3 WIM, 3 US)

+. Jimmy Connors (EEUU): 8 (1 AUS, 2 WIM, 5 US)

+. Ken Rosewall (AUS): 8 (4 AUS, 2 RG, 2 US)

+. Ivan Lendl (RCH): 8 (2 AUS, 3 RG, 3 US)

Impressive for Nadal to have surpassed already Lendl, Connors and Agassi in terms of Grand Slam titles.

The historical comparison is slightly flawed of course, because before the 1990s the Australian Open was no considered that important, so many top players only played it occasionally, allowing the Aussies to rule at home. Borg played it only once, early in his career.

Updated, after several years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Grand_Slam_men%27s_singles_champions#Most_Grand_Slam_singles_titles_.285_or_more.29

Rank Player Total Winning Span Australian Open French Open Wimbledon US Open
1 Switzerland Roger Federer 18 15 5 1 7 5
2 Spain Rafael Nadal 15 13 1 10 2 2
3 United States Pete Sampras 14 13 2 0 7 5
4 Australia Roy Emerson 12 7 6 2 2 2
Serbia Novak Djokovic 12 9 6 1 3 2
6 Australia Rod Laver 11 10 3 2 4 2
Sweden Björn Borg 11 8 0 6 5 0
8 United States Bill Tilden 10 11 0 0 3 7
9 United Kingdom Fred Perry 8 4 1 1 3 3
Australia Ken Rosewall 8 20 4 2 0 2
United States Jimmy Connors 8 10 1 0 2 5