BFT58 Main disc discussion thread

Haven't read yet; just finished listening. This one reamed me.

Track 01 -- LIked the intro pre-piano loads. The piano and soprano took getting used to but I really like this. Very upbeat... not so much happy as optimistic -- like Abdullah Ibrahim. Not in love with the soprano... I'd say he's a doubler who doesn't play much soprano. This has the feel of an early 80's Charles Lloyd date, but with an influx of Bobby Sanabria, though I think it's just shy of both in terms of technical facility. I'm stumped, but I like it a lot. The heavy vibrato on the soprano in the out-chorus makes me think it may be Byard Lancaster.

Track 02 -- Hmmm. Not sure *how* I feel about this one. Part of it borders on goofy, but part of it keeps me wanting to hear more (the way Charles Earland does, but I don't think it's him). I recognize the alto... but can't place him. A touch of Criss, a touch of somebody else... maybe Red Holloway? Almost sounds like Jimmy Heath playing alto, in terms of phrasing. No idea on the guitarist... my ear wanted to hear Grant Green after the alto solo, but it didn't get it. Love the tenor sound. Buddy Tate? Seems a bit too methodical to be Tate... damn it! Nice job on this bft so far! I'm leaning Hank Marr on organ, but I'm probably full of shit. Guess I stick with Holloway and say he's playing both horns.

Track 03 -- I'll say that's Yusef. I like the feel of this... sort of a mix of the first two tunes. Maybe Horace Parlan on piano? No idea who the guitarist is.

Track 04 -- I think you're throwing us a curveball here. The pianist had a nice, Monk-ish feel in the beginning, but then the chords had a Cedar Walton touch, so I'm leaning Kenny Barron, but it almost seems to be too flashy for Kenny. Bass clari player has me stumped... very deliberate, so much so that it seems like he's playing simply, with intent. Am I nuts or is this an *old* Ellington tune? Completely stumped -- damn you!!! :D

** totally unrelated gratuitous plug** -- just because there is a bass clarinet in this tune. If you're ever in the Montreal area, check out Mathieu Belanger -- guy is friggin' phenomenal!

Track 05 -- Hehe... that 60s guitar sound... I just can't get enough! Guy was friggin' brilliant.

Track 06 -- I don' t know who this is, but he's my fucking hero. Shades of George Adams, but nastier. Hints of Albert, but more inside. Tone has that raspy quality of late 70's Rollins or Fela, but it's too rock-ish for either. Could it be Dr. Charles Neville? Sounds like Vinny Colliuta on drums, but more of a nutcase, which has me all effed up. Rock organ is rubbing because of my purist roots, but still, this is a fun date. Shot in the dark, I'll say The Neville Brothers.

Track 07 -- Hate the sound of the drums, right off the bat. It's fun, but I wouldn't spend much time with it. I like it better than the Adderley brothers' take on the Zodiac.

On the whole, this was a fun one -- good pick-me-up for a rainy Sunday. :bwallace:

Haven't read yet; just finished listening. This one reamed me.

Glad you were reamed :)

Track 01 -- LIked the intro pre-piano loads. The piano and soprano took getting used to but I really like this. Very upbeat... not so much happy as optimistic -- like Abdullah Ibrahim. Not in love with the soprano... I'd say he's a doubler who doesn't play much soprano. This has the feel of an early 80's Charles Lloyd date, but with an influx of Bobby Sanabria, though I think it's just shy of both in terms of technical facility. I'm stumped, but I like it a lot. The heavy vibrato on the soprano in the out-chorus makes me think it may be Byard Lancaster.

Nope, though there is a very slight Abdullah Ibrahim connection. But not necessarily what might be expected.

Track 02 -- Hmmm. Not sure *how* I feel about this one. Part of it borders on goofy, but part of it keeps me wanting to hear more (the way Charles Earland does, but I don't think it's him). I recognize the alto... but can't place him. A touch of Criss, a touch of somebody else... maybe Red Holloway? Almost sounds like Jimmy Heath playing alto, in terms of phrasing. No idea on the guitarist... my ear wanted to hear Grant Green after the alto solo, but it didn't get it. Love the tenor sound. Buddy Tate? Seems a bit too methodical to be Tate... damn it! Nice job on this bft so far! I'm leaning Hank Marr on organ, but I'm probably full of shit. Guess I stick with Holloway and say he's playing both horns.

Not Holloway, not Marr. Nor anyone else you mentioned.

Track 03 -- I'll say that's Yusef. I like the feel of this... sort of a mix of the first two tunes. Maybe Horace Parlan on piano? No idea who the guitarist is.

Some of these guys ought to be slam dunks. Maybe it's not the way they're usually heard.

Track 04 -- I think you're throwing us a curveball here. The pianist had a nice, Monk-ish feel in the beginning, but then the chords had a Cedar Walton touch, so I'm leaning Kenny Barron, but it almost seems to be too flashy for Kenny. Bass clari player has me stumped... very deliberate, so much so that it seems like he's playing simply, with intent. Am I nuts or is this an *old* Ellington tune? Completely stumped -- damn you!!! :D

** totally unrelated gratuitous plug** -- just because there is a bass clarinet in this tune. If you're ever in the Montreal area, check out Mathieu Belanger -- guy is friggin' phenomenal!

It is an old (twenties I think) Ellington tune. Ellington wrote some ultra funky blues, and this is one of them.

Track 05 -- Hehe... that 60s guitar sound... I just can't get enough! Guy was friggin' brilliant.

:D

Track 06 -- I don' t know who this is, but he's my fucking hero. Shades of George Adams, but nastier. Hints of Albert, but more inside. Tone has that raspy quality of late 70's Rollins or Fela, but it's too rock-ish for either. Could it be Dr. Charles Neville? Sounds like Vinny Colliuta on drums, but more of a nutcase, which has me all effed up. Rock organ is rubbing because of my purist roots, but still, this is a fun date. Shot in the dark, I'll say The Neville Brothers.

Nope. But Neville Brothers is a really interesting guess.

Track 07 -- Hate the sound of the drums, right off the bat. It's fun, but I wouldn't spend much time with it. I like it better than the Adderley brothers' take on the Zodiac.

On the whole, this was a fun one -- good pick-me-up for a rainy Sunday. :bwallace:

I keep being tempted to buy that Adderley Brothers album, but never have.

Thanks Thom.

MG

Not entirely - you had that soprano player down right as a not usually soprano player. How you got that is a mystery; I could never tell.

I'm sure the Neville Brothers are capable of playing like the band in #6, but I've never heard them do so. Got a recommendation for us?

MG

Not entirely - you had that soprano player down right as a not usually soprano player. How you got that is a mystery; I could never tell.

I'm sure the Neville Brothers are capable of playing like the band in #6, but I've never heard them do so. Got a recommendation for us?

MG

No. It was the horn player's sound... just reminded me of Charles Neville.

MG

No. It was the horn player's sound... just reminded me of Charles Neville.

Ah, right. You prompted me to dig out "Nevillisation" yesterday, and I could see where you were coming from.

MG

As usual, read all the comments, and will pretend I didn't! :cool: (Comments will show I didn't do that, I are a jazz idiot when it's post 1950)

Ok, laugh at will! ;)

Track one. Nice groove! Was hoping they might change up the tempo at some point, but still good. Soprano Sax, so it must be Sidney Bechet or John Coltrane, right???? ^_^ Sounds like a fairly new recording to my ears.... New meaning 1980 or later....Guitarist sounds a bit 60's to me though. Like the drummer...no clue in any direction!

2. Organ! Man, am I good, or what??? :crazy: Not Fats Waller, and doubt it's Jimmy Smith....anyone else play the sucker??? 1960s I'd guess. Man, haven't played any of my few Blue note cds in awhile...so, I am screwed in even trying a guess at this point!!! Like the Alto player! Doesn't ring any bells. Doesn't sound like a Charlie Parker disciple. That really helps me.... A british group by any chance??? Wasn't too crazy about the tenor player at first, but seems to be loosening up as the track goes forward. Must have had a shot or two. That was a fast 10 minutes, a sign of a good recording!

3. I think I am seeing some info I wasn't supposed to! Oh well, wouldn't have guessed who it was anyway! Like the beginning....will I like the rest of the track??? Stay tuned! Get the feeling I should know this Tenor player. More from the Ben Webster school, at least from a tone perspective...meanwhile Sangrey is telling everyone not only who is playing, but the reed he used and the studio it was recorded in!!! I like him, just don't know his name...well, I am sure I will once it's mentioned.

4. Man, what happened to short tracks??? :P Not a clue. Nice pianowork...seems to have a little New Orleans flavor. Is he playing a bass clarinet??? I thought it was just a tenor....something is "tricky" Just sounds very reedy. Almost never can go wrong with a stand up bass solo!!

Well, need to listen to the rest a bit later, wanted to start making a fool of myself as soon as possible though! I'll get you back MG, next time I do a BFT, no more Mr. nice guy!!!! :angry:

Edited by BERIGAN

As usual, read all the comments, and will pretend I didn't! :cool: (Comments will show I didn't do that, I are a jazz idiot when it's post 1950)

Ok, laugh at will! ;)

Track one. Nice groove! Was hoping they might change up the tempo at some point, but still good. Soprano Sax, so it must be Sidney Bechet or John Coltrane, right???? ^_^ Sounds like a fairly new recording to my ears.... New meaning 1980 or later....Guitarist sounds a bit 60's to me though. Like the drummer...no clue in any direction!

2. Organ! Man, am I good, or what??? :crazy: Not Fats Waller, and doubt it's Jimmy Smith....anyone else play the sucker??? 1960s I'd guess. Man, haven't played any of my few Blue note cds in awhile...so, I am screwed in even trying a guess at this point!!! Like the Alto player! Doesn't ring any bells. Doesn't sound like a Charlie Parker disciple. That really helps me.... A british group by any chance??? Wasn't too crazy about the tenor player at first, but seems to be loosening up as the track goes forward. Must have had a shot or two. That was a fast 10 minutes, a sign of a good recording!

3. I think I am seeing some info I wasn't supposed to! Oh well, wouldn't have guessed who it was anyway! Like the beginning....will I like the rest of the track??? Stay tuned! Get the feeling I should know this Tenor player. More from the Ben Webster school, at least from a tone perspective...meanwhile Sangrey is telling everyone not only who is playing, but the reed he used and the studio it was recorded in!!! I like him, just don't know his name...well, I am sure I will once it's mentioned.

4. Man, what happened to short tracks??? :P Not a clue. Nice pianowork...seems to have a little New Orleans flavor. Is he playing a bass clarinet??? I thought it was just a tenor....something is "tricky" Just sounds very reedy. Almost never can go wrong with a stand up bass solo!!

Well, need to listen to the rest a bit later, wanted to start making a fool of myself as soon as possible though! I'll get you back MG, next time I do a BFT, no more Mr. nice guy!!!! :angry:

You'll be real expert on the bonus disc! I'm surprised some info came through on track 3 - I thought I'd cleaned everything up.

Anyway, you know - I'm certain - the title of #4. Get yourself half a point at least :)

MG

Ok, laugh at will! ;)

You'll be real expert on the bonus disc! I'm surprised some info came through on track 3 - I thought I'd cleaned everything up.

Anyway, you know - I'm certain - the title of #4. Get yourself half a point at least :)

MG

Ok, half a point then! ;) I thought it sounded Ellingtonish...then I heard the end and was sure...but forgot to mention that! (Perhaps that is when it sounded like someone was in our garage, that kinda distracted me! :ph34r: )

Then I couldn't think of the tune....knew Adelaide Hall was involved...been awhile since I heard this tune, for some reason!

Ok, laugh at will! ;)

MG

Ok, half a point then! ;) I thought it sounded Ellingtonish...then I heard the end and was sure...but forgot to mention that! (Perhaps that is when it sounded like someone was in our garage, that kinda distracted me! :ph34r: )

Then I couldn't think of the tune....knew Adelaide Hall was involved...been awhile since I heard this tune, for some reason!

Yessir half a point. And half a point for the nice version!

This post dedicated to Humphrey Lyttleton.

MG

Track1: Energizing, entertaining intro !! The bartzian soprano,

tynerian piano, the african rhythm, this is great!Dance, dance, dance !

Track2: Donaldson on alto ? Jimmy Smith on organ ? Wes on guitar ?

Johnny Griffin on tenor ? Round about the sunny side of the street ?

Track3: Thanks for introducing the leader. Burrell on guitar ? The pianist

sounds familliar but I can't figure him out.

Track4: Creole Love Call ! Kirk Lightsey or

Kenny Barron on the piano ? Don't know a lot of bass clarinetists and it's not

Sclavis or Portal. His sound is like a come-back in the 40ies.

Mraz on bass ? Would it be Flanagan on the piano? No...

Track5: No problem to identify the first narrator, but I needed some

more listenings for the 'Miss You' 'Barko' blow, good thing Brown introduced him :D

Groove from guitars & rhythm section, soul from JB, this could last everlastingly.

The onsets of Maceo are a little brutal to my ears, but I should not

listen so loud with earphones.

Track6: Excellent! Pullen-Adams Quartet with Don on organ ??

Track7: I don't like to enjoy tunes with such lyrics :D One more time, a good thing

the singer introduces himself. Only own 'the sermon' and

I even didn't know that JS sang. I don't like the intro,

at a certain point the lyrics reminded me a

recent chewy thread, but the organ comes to the rescue!

No real guess in fact, but a lot of fun, thank you! :party:

Track1: Energizing, entertaining intro !! The bartzian soprano,

tynerian piano, the african rhythm, this is great!Dance, dance, dance !

Not Bartz, not Tyner, but got you in there.

Track2: Donaldson on alto ? Jimmy Smith on organ ? Wes on guitar ?

Johnny Griffin on tenor ? Round about the sunny side of the street ?

None of those guys.

Track3: Thanks for introducing the leader. Burrell on guitar ? The pianist

sounds familliar but I can't figure him out.

Burrell isn't the soloist.

Track4: Creole Love Call ! Kirk Lightsey or

Kenny Barron on the piano ? Don't know a lot of bass clarinetists and it's not

Sclavis or Portal. His sound is like a come-back in the 40ies.

Mraz on bass ? Would it be Flanagan on the piano? No...

None of those guys. But you have the tune bang to rights.

Track5: No problem to identify the first narrator, but I needed some

more listenings for the 'Miss You' 'Barko' blow, good thing Brown introduced him :D

Groove from guitars & rhythm section, soul from JB, this could last everlastingly.

The onsets of Maceo are a little brutal to my ears, but I should not

listen so loud with earphones.

:D

Track6: Excellent! Pullen-Adams Quartet with Don on organ ??

Nope.

Track7: I don't like to enjoy tunes with such lyrics :D One more time, a good thing

the singer introduces himself. Only own 'the sermon' and

I even didn't know that JS sang. I don't like the intro,

at a certain point the lyrics reminded me a

recent chewy thread, but the organ comes to the rescue!

I do like the words, but I thought that, even for someone who didn't, the organ solo would come to the rescue.

No real guess in fact, but a lot of fun, thank you! :party:

Thanks Aparxa!

MG

ok, finally... as usual, one listen only, typed while listening, away from my collection, not googling or searching AMG, just some impressions - generally a very enjoyable disc, thanks a lot!

#1 - Lovely opener, great groove set up by bass and guitar, sort of a ZA vibe. The soprano is a bit tame but has a nice, kind of restrained sound that gets quite singing at some spots (whenever it gets less airy, whispery). Guitar really puts its stamp on this, in a good way. The piano solo is nice, not leading places I think, but it fits the mood. Guitar similar, but I like it somewhat better... I like it quite a bit, actually! That light groove is cool, too... that's a non-US or rather ZA thing, too, methinks... it grooves quite some, but it's always very light, airy almost.

#2 - Ogun? Well, not really, but organ... what's that tune again, reminds me of some standard, but it's only built on similar changes, I guess... Pretty nice, also the entry of the alto, flexible sound, not the fat kind I prefer, but attractive enough. I don't think I have this, but I like it, it's nice'n'easy, but not much different from tons of similar stuff I'd say... guitar solo is pretty, that twanging stuff and some other things remind me of someone but don't ask me who... second sax solo, hm, this should be the give away, gruff tenor... Ike Quebec? Is this from one of those JOS sessions on the "Open House/Plain Talk" twofer? Long time I played it... but that wasn't J-Mac on alto?! Ah well, 's nice! Could well be JOS, methinks, that almost clean sound is good... it gets grittier during the second solo though, but only in spots (I like JOS best when let loose and in really wild fashion, like on "Groovin' at Small's").

#3 - Crap, what's this tune? Not sure where I know it from, but I think it's some soul tune, originally? I might have played it in some big band years ago... groovy, that's for sure! Sax starts in a terrific way, lots of space, few notes, a bit of a swagger her and there... and in between the guitar (too low in the mix at the beginning, alas) - lovely stuff! Could be Stanley T? Holy crap, if only I was able to pin some specific memory to that bass line, drives me mad! Ah, now I know, it's Gene, the tune was done by Ellery Eskelin in his great homage to Jug ("The Sun Died"), Marc Ribot played the lick there (Wollesen on drums completed the trio). But is this really Gene? I'm confused...

#4 - Ooooh, now we're talkin'! Ducal stuff, lovely! Clarinet (and of course as is the case here, bass clarinet) is such a marvellous instrument, too bad it's heard so little and when, then often in such polished clean swift manner, not the warm breathy wooden sound used here. Lovely tune, but as so often while knowing it I can't identify it... East St. Louis Toodle-oo?

#5 - Hm, quite a change of pace, but this again sounds very familiar... early JB? I have this one a best of compilation - I like his music but I'm put off by the extreme macho-ism oozing out of almost every second of it... yeah, that's him, nice. Likely from the 50s, with Roy Byrd? Ok, there goes Maceo... nice! Yes, indeed, I like this one a lot! What I can't really take too much of at a time is the sweating, loud, wild, funky, whatever you call it, JB, but this kind of stuff is glorious!

#6 - Pretty wild, huh? Hymnical post-Coltrane stuff in an organ way? Alas, the organ sound during the opening rubato part sounds too much like a church organ for my liking (but I guess that was exactly the point...). This might have been good in a live concert, but as a recording at least for me, it doesn't work that well. Not that it's bad, but it's long, and the drum solo isn't that necessary, in my opinion... it's messy and dirty and funky and that's all cool, but it's a rough and unedited (read: self-editing, not turning some buttons and cutting out stuff after the fact).

#7 - Not much I can say about this - not that it's bad, but not one that really grabs me all that much.

ok, finally... as usual, one listen only, typed while listening, away from my collection, not googling or searching AMG, just some impressions - generally a very enjoyable disc, thanks a lot!

#1 - Lovely opener, great groove set up by bass and guitar, sort of a ZA vibe. The soprano is a bit tame but has a nice, kind of restrained sound that gets quite singing at some spots (whenever it gets less airy, whispery). Guitar really puts its stamp on this, in a good way. The piano solo is nice, not leading places I think, but it fits the mood. Guitar similar, but I like it somewhat better... I like it quite a bit, actually! That light groove is cool, too... that's a non-US or rather ZA thing, too, methinks... it grooves quite some, but it's always very light, airy almost.

Not South African, but there is a connection, which Thom noticed and you've picked up on the same aspect.

#2 - Ogun? Well, not really, but organ... what's that tune again, reminds me of some standard, but it's only built on similar changes, I guess... Pretty nice, also the entry of the alto, flexible sound, not the fat kind I prefer, but attractive enough. I don't think I have this, but I like it, it's nice'n'easy, but not much different from tons of similar stuff I'd say... guitar solo is pretty, that twanging stuff and some other things remind me of someone but don't ask me who... second sax solo, hm, this should be the give away, gruff tenor... Ike Quebec? Is this from one of those JOS sessions on the "Open House/Plain Talk" twofer? Long time I played it... but that wasn't J-Mac on alto?! Ah well, 's nice! Could well be JOS, methinks, that almost clean sound is good... it gets grittier during the second solo though, but only in spots (I like JOS best when let loose and in really wild fashion, like on "Groovin' at Small's").

Not JOS. Not Ike Quebec.

#3 - Crap, what's this tune? Not sure where I know it from, but I think it's some soul tune, originally? I might have played it in some big band years ago... groovy, that's for sure! Sax starts in a terrific way, lots of space, few notes, a bit of a swagger her and there... and in between the guitar (too low in the mix at the beginning, alas) - lovely stuff! Could be Stanley T? Holy crap, if only I was able to pin some specific memory to that bass line, drives me mad! Ah, now I know, it's Gene, the tune was done by Ellery Eskelin in his great homage to Jug ("The Sun Died"), Marc Ribot played the lick there (Wollesen on drums completed the trio). But is this really Gene? I'm confused...

Don't be confused.

#4 - Ooooh, now we're talkin'! Ducal stuff, lovely! Clarinet (and of course as is the case here, bass clarinet) is such a marvellous instrument, too bad it's heard so little and when, then often in such polished clean swift manner, not the warm breathy wooden sound used here. Lovely tune, but as so often while knowing it I can't identify it... East St. Louis Toodle-oo?

Ah shit, of course it's "Creole Love Call"! Great tune! I love those early Ellington tunes, but I keep mixing them up!

Yep, it's "Creole love call" - a real funky blues.

#5 - Hm, quite a change of pace, but this again sounds very familiar... early JB? I have this one a best of compilation - I like his music but I'm put off by the extreme macho-ism oozing out of almost every second of it... yeah, that's him, nice. Likely from the 50s, with Roy Byrd? Ok, there goes Maceo... nice! Yes, indeed, I like this one a lot! What I can't really take too much of at a time is the sweating, loud, wild, funky, whatever you call it, JB, but this kind of stuff is glorious!

Full points there - though I wasn't expecting anyone to be fooled. This is, I thought, something that not many people would have heard and is different from the usual run, as you say.

#6 - Pretty wild, huh? Hymnical post-Coltrane stuff in an organ way? Alas, the organ sound during the opening rubato part sounds too much like a church organ for my liking (but I guess that was exactly the point...). This might have been good in a live concert, but as a recording at least for me, it doesn't work that well. Not that it's bad, but it's long, and the drum solo isn't that necessary, in my opinion... it's messy and dirty and funky and that's all cool, but it's a rough and unedited (read: self-editing, not turning some buttons and cutting out stuff after the fact).

Actually, I did edit it, because the players were announced at the end :) But I know what you mean. The tenor player runs out of ideas and in a studio there probably wouldn't have been a drum solo. But as a live cut, I think it shows the risks very well - and those guys were taking real risks.

Thanks Flurin.

MG

I have to apologize for not yet participating, MG. I keep trying and trying to find the time to extract and play these tracks, at least the main disc but life has been conspiring against me. :huh: I'm hoping for this Holiday weekend, though.

I have to confess that I have read the other comments. I don't have a lot to add as I do not know any of the songs or artists., except for the Maceo Parker with James Brown. It is quite humbling.

Track 6 is really a stumper. It's maddening. It sounds at times like Pharoah Sanders (at the beginning), George Adams, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, but I think it is none of those.

I should know who is playing bass clarinet on "Creole Love Call". I can almost place the bassist at the end. I have heard him but can't....quite.....name......him.....

It's a really enjoyable disc, and has opened up some new things for me, obviously, since I am incapable of identifying anything!

Edited by Hot Ptah

I have to confess that I have read the other comments. I don't have a lot to add as I do not know any of the songs or artists., except for the Maceo Parker with James Brown. It is quite humbling.

Confession is good for the soul - well, so they say.

Track 6 is really a stumper. It's maddening. It sounds at times like Pharoah Sanders (at the beginning), George Adams, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, but I think it is none of those.

Correct, it's none of those.

I should know who is playing bass clarinet on "Creole Love Call". I can almost place the bassist at the end. I have heard him but can't....quite.....name......him.....

I would expect you to have trouble with the bass clarinet player. But I'm certain you HAVE heard the bass player.

It's a really enjoyable disc, and has opened up some new things for me, obviously, since I am incapable of identifying anything!

Glad you liked those discs, HP.

MG

• 4 weeks later...

MG, I just have to apoligize! I don't know where my heads been on late, but not on top of my shoulders! :wacko: I recall thinking, I bet it's been 2 weeks since I listened to the first half of the BFT, and I saw it had been....more than a month....so naturally, I let my embarrassment stand in the way of saying anything, and now it's beyond stupid how long it's been! I know how I felt when people didn't comment after a few days!

Sorry! Got around to listening to the last half, and very much enjoyed it, even if I didn't know who it was!

Gee, I guess I should download the bonus disc right around now, eh? :winky: