I got an Ipod!

Jim Alfredson

I'm so excited! After asking for one for years, my wife finally let me buy one for my birthday. She had originally ordered me a nice club chair for the living room, but it's been a month and the chair still isn't here and she's called and emailed the company with no response. So she cancelled the transaction with the credit card company and I asked her if I could just use the money and buy an iPod.

160 GB Silver Classic.

I haven't even hooked it up to my 'puter yet. I've been busy organizing my music files. I have about 16gb of downloaded stuff on my harddrive. I haven't even begun ripping my CD collection yet.

:excited:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's kinda silly. Like I said, right now I just have downloads on my computer totalling 16GB and iTunes says that it's about 6.7 DAYS worth of music. 1648 songs. That's amazing. And that's just a tenth of what I can put on there.

Crazy!

I have not even opened the iPod yet. Still getting my computer ready.

When I was in Houston for over a year over a few years. . . the iPod was my music source and I appreciated it so much.

Since I returned in October after Helen passed, and wasn't able to listen to music at work in the location they moved me to, and then retired, I haven't used it. NOR missed it!

But they're fascinating machines.

I would like to say that iTunes is a brilliant piece of software, too. Last night on my office machine I had iTunes running in the background along with Photoshop, Illustrator, Word, Acrobat, and Firefox and iTunes never skipped a beat. It literally never caused the music to skip. Keep in mind, this is on a computer that I built in 2000; a 1GHz Athlon Thunderbird with 512mb of PC100 RAM. It is SLOW by today's standards and usually when listening via Windows Media, I get skips if I have more than three programs going at once.

I am impressed. Right now the iPod is hooked up (I had to go buy a PCI USB 2.0 card because this machine is so old it doesn't even have USB 2.0!) and sync'ing to iTunes. SWEET!

Congrats! Yes, it'll become an addiction.

I still have the older 60GB version.

I can't see going to anything larger now

'cause even when it's filled to the brim,

the thing always goes back to the beginning after

you plug it back into your computer,

so there ends up being lots of tunes that you never hear anyway

if you're listening on shuffle mode.

The big positive is that you can access a huge amount

to fit your mood when you're not in shuffle.

the iPod is great; iTunes is awful. I hate iTunes. It is confusing to use. I routinely have to manually move things around so they make sense when organizing albums, because iTunes always seems to put things in the wrong places. I realize iTunes can only work with what is input, so errors are not its fault, but it is just so complicated! What is album artist, anyway??

the iPod is great; iTunes is awful. I hate iTunes. It is confusing to use. I routinely have to manually move things around so they make sense when organizing albums, because iTunes always seems to put things in the wrong places. I realize iTunes can only work with what is input, so errors are not its fault, but it is just so complicated! What is album artist, anyway??
Complicated? :huh: It's ease is what's made it so incredibly popular.

I can safely say that I've never seen iTunes put something in the "wrong" place.

There are hundreds of ways of being able to organize your collection

and most of it is just in the click of a button.

Album artist? In this case: John Tilbury

051601.jpg

Shuffle play is the joint. I have my 30 gig iPod and my shuffle. I update about once every two weeks. So far I have about 15 gigs loaded on. Doesn't really matter with the shuffle - its still random after I update. I like to walk about an hour a day. I have listened to nothing but shuffle play when walking since November of 2006 when I first bought the 30 gig. I listen to cds mostly in the car - If i'm on along trip maybe I'll plug in the Ipod - always on shuffle. I love it! You also find out who you really dig.

I had to go buy a PCI USB 2.0 card because this machine is so old it doesn't even have USB 2.0!

Damn bro, that is old!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Yeah, tell me about it. I've built several computers since then, including three machines specifically for DAW use. My current DAW computer is a 2GHz Athlon X2 dual core with 3GB of RAM and it's a fantastic machine. I have 24 analog inputs and can have multiple plug-ins running without taxing it. I just recorded the new organissimo CD with it.

But the office machine just keeps ticking. I sometimes think I should upgrade, but I'm actually curious how long this damn thing is going to last. So far I've had to replace a harddrive, a video card, and a power supply but the motherboard, chip, and RAM just keep going. Yeah, it's slow, but I've used it to design the artwork for the last three Big O releases including the new organissimo, which I'm working on now. And it's the machine I do all the web design and maintenance on. It just runs and there's something to be said for that.

I think only my brother has me beat; he still has a PIII machine with Windows 98 on it that was built in... you guessed it, 1998. That machine just keeps rocking.

Wanna lick??? Psych! :lol:

I'm with Greg on this one: I hate ITunes. Absolutely hate it. I've been using the iPod plugin for Winamp... that works for me.

I didn't even know there was a 160GB model out. Now I've got hard drive envy!

The 80GB model is way more than enough for me, so the only reason I would have to upgrade is to increase the bit rate/encoding of all my music. I'm gonna sit tight and wait for the 1TB model, so I can have everything encoded in some sort of lossless format, flac or whatever.

I stopped using iTunes - I do all the managing stuff with WinAmp (which allows to move files back to your HD, too, in cases where you may have lost something or had to clear space or whatever).

Though iTunes is still in use, since radio files (MP2) have to be converted, and iTunes does that (no idea though if it retains the original bitrate or just boils things down to 32 or whatever is their crappy standard).

And I have a 30GB model... seems like that's a thing of yesterday already but to me it still feels like I only just got it... all that modern stuff... I prefer playing music on speakers, even if I have to do that at comparatively low volume. The iPod is mostly in use when commuting or while at work if those creeps there don't shut up for a minute or stress my nerves otherwise.

I've only occasionally entertained the idea of getting one. I rarely have a need for a portable music machine and if I did it would be for short train trips or flying, both of which I rarely do. It sounds like 20 or 30g would be all I'd ever need.

One question, how many minutes of music would you get on a 20g if your music was ripped at 320kbps?