Jim Alfredson

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible to

a) Globally dump everything on your iPdod, and then

b) re-synch to what you currently have in iTunes?

Not sure I fully understand what you're asking, since you're describing what one normally does through iTunes. Do you mean using your iPod as a portable hard drive?

If you sync to iTunes, then your iPod will only have on it what is in iTunes. Anything not in iTunes will no longer be on the iPod. This is why I do not sync to iTunes, because I do not want to have 23,000+ songs taking up hard drive space on my computer.

Yes, there's a program you can buy on the web called iPod Access which lets you back up your iPod to whatever hard drive you like.

Thanks, NOJ, but that's not what I'm asking:

How can I globally DELETE , DUMP, FLUSH, EVERYTHING that's on my iPod - NO BACKUP, as in GONESVILLE, baby - and then RE-SYNCH to what I CURRENTLY have on iTunes?

Yes, there's a program you can buy on the web called iPod Access which lets you back up your iPod to whatever hard drive you like.

Thanks, NOJ, but that's not what I'm asking:

How can I globally DELETE , DUMP, FLUSH, EVERYTHING that's on my iPod - NO BACKUP, as in GONESVILLE, baby - and then RE-SYNCH to what I CURRENTLY have on iTunes?

All you have to do is plug it in and re-sync it. That should delete the old stuff as well.

I sync my ipod manually because I prefer total control, plus I share iTunes with my son. Anyway, why can't you just click on the "music" tab after your ipod is synced, select all the songs (click on the first one, hold down shift, click on the last one) and hit "delete"?

There are a number of things you can do. The way to "DELETE , DUMP, FLUSH, EVERYTHING that's on my iPod" is to connect your iPod to your computer, then, when iTunes loads, click the button that says "Restore." That will, in essence, reformat the iPod drive and reinstall the software.

If you have more music in iTunes than will fit on your iPod, there's a neat little feature called iTunes Autofill. It automatically picks an assortment of songs, from either your iTunes Library as a whole or a playlist of your choosing, to fill up the iPod. For more info, see this Macworld article.

Yes, "restore" is a possibility, but you have to follow this step (depending on the age of your iPod)

by unmounting the iPod and plugging it into a wall socket using your Power adapter,

then, you have to reset all of your settings on it before you connect it back to your computer.

Too much stuff to do - just highlight your songs and "delete."

How do you guys handle your large MP3 collections on the iPod if you can't fit all of your music?

I just take a subset. Every so often I rotate the selection. I have the 120gb iPod, so I have a ridiculous amount of music on there anyway - no way I can listen to it all.

How do you guys handle your large MP3 collections on the iPod if you can't fit all of your music?

We choose the option to manage the music manually. You can just drag what you want from iTunes to your iPod. If you are too lazy to do that, iTunes can also be programmed to randomly fill your iPod for you.

From my perspective, the ipod will always be a portable music device, like the Walkman and that big Case Logic of cassettes once was. The way technology is progressing, I have a feeling that the hard disk will very rarely get use and I will be streaming directly to the device from home, or someone else's server.

We choose the option to manage the music manually. You can just drag what you want from iTunes to your iPod. If you are too lazy to do that, iTunes can also be programmed to randomly fill your iPod for you.

I've been playing around with smart playlists which seem to work pretty well. It would be better if I had my music rated so that I could play, for example, only 4 and 5 star material or something like that. Unfortunately, although my digital music is relatively well organized, I haven't rated all of the songs or used some of the more advanced tag features like comments and it would take more time than I am willing to spend to go back through my entire library and do that.

• 3 weeks later...

There are a number of things you can do. The way to "DELETE , DUMP, FLUSH, EVERYTHING that's on my iPod" is to connect your iPod to your computer, then, when iTunes loads, click the button that says "Restore." That will, in essence, reformat the iPod drive and reinstall the software.

I was told the exact same thing by a kid at the Apple store last night. My iPod was initially formatted and had songs imported by a friend who is a Mac man. I'm a PC guy so I have to pull all the tunes off the iPod, format for PC and then reinstall the tunes. Anyone ever do this type of reconfiguration before?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Most if not all of the music in my iTunes consists of higher quality (i.e. larger) files.

Is there a way to, for example, create a playlist of stuff you want to put on an iPod and globally transfer everything as mp3 files, so you can fit more music?

Go into your preferences - importi settings - and set that to AAC or MP3 at whatever rate you prefer.

Then select the tunes in your library or in play lists you want to be in that new format from the ones that are the higher quality.

Go up to 'Advanced' drop down and select the fifth one down "Create AAC / MP3 ..." (it will be Lossless or AIFF previously) and it will recreate the files anew in the lower format you desire while keeping the originals.

I then usually go to "Recently Added" (the play list) and grab them from there and do th voodoo from here out...

Hope that helps and you might already do all that anyhoo.