I got an Ipod!

Jim Alfredson

I couldn't imagine living without my 80gb. I love using the "Album Artist" section to list all sidemen on an album. This allows me to make playlists for a specific artist even if they're not the leader. I also usually copy and paste the "Album Artist" info into the "Lyrics" section so I can access it on the fly. AMAZING. :winky:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of these days I'll have to get one, my old Dell Pocket DJ bit the dust about 6 months ago. What I liked about it was that I didn't have to use any software to add or remove files, could do it all from windows explorer via drag and drop...I've never liked dealing the syncing.

Since I started using multiple hard drives, I have been increasingly frustrated by bugs in iTunes. Every now and again, iTunes refuses to recognize (or forgets) where files are located, and the only function to get it to recognize files is to go track-by-track, something that would take longer than just deleting the whole iTunes program and starting over, or alternatively deleting the relevant iTunes entries and reloading them all folder-by-folder. I have had to do that several times. It lets me edit the files on some hard drives and not on others, even though it recognizes and plays the files on both hard drives. And so on.

Please give me the link to WinAmp. :)

Edited by John L

Since I started using multiple hard drives, I have been increasingly frustrated by bugs in iTunes. Every now and again, iTunes refuses to recognize (or forgets) where files are located, and the only function to get it to recognize files is to go track-by-track, something that would take longer than just deleting the whole iTunes program and starting over, or alternatively deleting the relevant iTunes entries and reloading them all folder-by-folder. I have had to do that several times. It lets me edit the files on some hard drives and not on others, even though it recognizes and plays the files on both hard drives. And so on.

Please give me the link to WinAmp. :)

http://www.winamp.com/

iTunes music is stored in a folder that is stored in a single place.

Whenever an edit is made it is made to a file in this folder.

It doesn't matter how many drives that you have,

all editing is done to files in this one folder.

When you first load iTunes on your computer,

it creates it's own folder on your main HD

and if you ever wish to change where the folder is located

(to an external 2TB drive, for instance),

then you just go to your Preferences/Advanced and

change the location of the folder.

You don't need to change any directory files or anything else.

If you want iTunes to find all of the tunes on your computer: Advanced/Consolidate Library.

If you're wanting to keep your library separate over two drives

then you either can make a temporary user account

or just hold down the "option" key when starting iTunes

and you can choose your "other" library.

I've got it working a different way. I don't want more than one iTunes library, but I have files stored in iTunes folders on multiple drives. iTunes does given you the option to do this, but then you get can pelted by various bugs. I know about the "consolidate library" function, and have had problems with that as well.

I have one 1TB drive that I use for backup of all my MP3s. One option is to by another one and consolidate my library in one place.

Or I will use the link that Shawn provided and see what I can do. Thanks, Shawn.

Edited by John L

Today my kid gave me a plastic shell for the iPod so I can be more careless. And to top it off he handed me a Moon Pie for breakfast. Happy Father's Day!

I got my 80gb one in February, and now every time I want to add something I have to remove other stuff. I wish I'd gotten the 160! But it goes everywhere with me- car, work- there's no system I can't run it through. CDs? Bah. Cumbersome.

I want to upgrade to a 160gb, too. My 80gb has 14,533 songs on it and is pretty much full. Yet, for some reason I have trouble finding something I want to delete to make room for newly purchased stuff.

That Milli Vanilli playlist.....yeah it's a guilty pleasure....but can't you just play the CD in the car when you have to hear them?

I want to upgrade to a 160gb, too. My 80gb has 14,533 songs on it and is pretty much full. Yet, for some reason I have trouble finding something I want to delete to make room for newly purchased stuff.

That Milli Vanilli playlist.....yeah it's a guilty pleasure....but can't you just play the CD in the car when you have to hear them?

But then you don't get to use the MP3 player. What's the point of having the MP3 player if you can't use it???

I've got about 17gb on mine. I downloaded Peter Gabriel's UP last night; I used to be a huge Gabriel fan through middle / high school and college. Man, what an amazing record. Tons of ideas to be gleamed from that one.

Yesterday my wife and I looked at a Scion Xb, which has an iPod connector for the radio. Sweet!!!

About 12,000 songs on my 80gb. Itunes library now has about 13,000 songs, so I'm going to have to upgrade in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got an interpods also, and I need halp.

I don't understand how to delete individual tracks from it. Does it just synch with iTunes, or is there a way to customize the playlist separately from what's on the iTunes playlist?

HALP!

Good luck. I've had mine for almost 2 years and I still can't figure iTunes out.

TTK, connect your iPod to your computer and select your iPod in the left-hand column. There is a check box under Options which reads "Manually manage music and videos." Check this box. Now your iPod will not automatically sync to iTunes when it connects to the computer.

NOJ, this isn't working. When I click on the icon, I don't see a choice either for "Options" or "Manually manage music and videos." Is there a step I'm missing? I see:

Open

Get Info

Open Enclosing folder

Copy iPod

Eject iPod

Rename iPod

Remove from Sidebar

Automator

Disable Folder Actions

Configure Folder Actions

Attach Folder Action

I've got about 17gb on mine. I downloaded Peter Gabriel's UP last night; I used to be a huge Gabriel fan through middle / high school and college. Man, what an amazing record. Tons of ideas to be gleamed from that one.

Yesterday my wife and I looked at a Scion Xb, which has an iPod connector for the radio. Sweet!!!

I've got an '05 XB, and with the exception of the really loud road-noise at highway speeds, I love it. I got it used and sans pod-port, so I have to use a transmitter, though. But, really, swell car.

You filled up a 80GB? Man...that's a shitload of music....

Moonpie...that's one of my favorite words...ever...

It fun to say and to eat! :)

I watched Alton Brown make moonpies on Good Eats a couple weeks ago. I've got to try it at home, 'cause they looked even more fun to eat.

My shitload was aided by 6+ yrs of emusic subscription. I was ready for the player!

I chose "manually manage music" through iTunes. However, I can't pull up a list of tunes my computer (the various music choices are greyed out), and the iPod says "Connected" so I can't see the track menu on there.

How do I see the song menu on the iPod while it's connected, so I can manually delete tunes via the keyboard?

I'm not sure why the music on your computer would be greyed out. What format is the music in? Does it all belong to you?

In the left hand column of iTunes, there should be an arrow next to your iPod icon. Click on this arrow to expand the iPod's various categories, which should include "Music." Then you should be able to scroll through all your music files and delete the ones you don't want off the iPod.