I got an Ipod!

Jim Alfredson

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After refusing to even consider an ipod for the last few years (for no other reason than its trendiness) I got to a state last week where my Archos 20GB finally filled up. Looking around Archos seemed to only offer something more expensive clearly designed mainly for showing films.

So I bit the bullet and bought an 80GB ipod - well, what a revelation. So much simpler to load than the Archos (which had some bizarre ways of storing tracks even within the same album!). Having spent the last few days loading up I today experimented with the shuffle...what a great facility. I just had to make sure I excluded all the classical stuff first...a 20 minute Mahler movement doesn't quite work next to Hank Williams, The Hollies and Sonny Rollins!

And I've also got one of those gizmos that allow you to play it through your car stereo via a free radio frequency. 5 years ago I took off on holiday with a large box of CDs. Now I've got oodles more in the palm of my hand.

What amazing days we live in. When I consider the crappy record player that I started out with in 1970 where I had to sellotape a coin to the cartridge to stop it skipping!

After refusing to even consider an ipod for the last few years (for no other reason than its trendiness) I got to a state last week where my Archos 20GB finally filled up. Looking around Archos seemed to only offer something more expensive clearly designed mainly for showing films.

So I bit the bullet and bought an 80GB ipod - well, what a revelation. So much simpler to load than the Archos (which had some bizarre ways of storing tracks even within the same album!). Having spent the last few days loading up I today experimented with the shuffle...what a great facility. I just had to make sure I excluded all the classical stuff first...a 20 minute Mahler movement doesn't quite work next to Hank Williams, The Hollies and Sonny Rollins!

And I've also got one of those gizmos that allow you to play it through your car stereo via a free radio frequency. 5 years ago I took off on holiday with a large box of CDs. Now I've got oodles more in the palm of my hand.

What amazing days we live in. When I consider the crappy record player that I started out with in 1970 where I had to sellotape a coin to the cartridge to stop it skipping!

Wait till you try the Smart Playlist feature. This lets you set rules for iTunes to automatically place songs that meet those rules into a playlist. For example, you might want one that collects all the R&B songs between say 1955 and 1959. Or one that gathers together all songs that have the word 'moon' in the title. Best of all, if you take the trouble to put a code in the Comments field for the relevant songs you can gather all those songs together ( I use JF to signify Jazz Funk for appropriate songs and then iTunes groups all those together in a smart playlist for me ). Then, for more fun you can set shuffle within a Smart Playlist to avoid the songs being played in the order you uploaded them or in artist order etc.

I can't understand why anyone would have a problem with iTunes. Its not particularly sexy to look at but it does what it does extremely well.

Next, I recommend a mac.

on an unrelated note:

a friend was over and brought her new iPhone along.

She was curious about the music we had playing and held the phone up in the air.

After about ten seconds the artist, album and song along with cover artwork came up on the screen.

We even sang into it and it knew the song. One of the new Apple "apps" I gather ... freekin' spooky!

• 4 months later...

I have finally joined the revolution! I bought my first mp3 player last night, a black 120GB iPod Classic. I was up until midnight last night ripping CDs, and have only used about 1GB of space so far (loving iTunes so far), but I am really reveling in the joys of this amazing machine this morning here at work, as I listen to "Maiden Voyage" at my desk. What a joy!

Having seen this little thing clipped to Harold Z's shirt last Monday, I went for it last night, as I happened to pass the all-night Apple store in Fifth Avenue. I have had a couple of king-sized iPods and that dusty Sony Walkman MD you see in the background, but—since I haven't done a regular commute since 1967 (when London was the other end) this 2GB device is all I need. I just have to be careful not to swallow it!

iPodshuffle.jpg

I have been using iTunes for a few years—no problem that a little bit of patience and reasoning didn't solve.

on an unrelated note:

a friend was over and brought her new iPhone along.

She was curious about the music we had playing and held the phone up in the air.

After about ten seconds the artist, album and song along with cover artwork came up on the screen.

We even sang into it and it knew the song. One of the new Apple "apps" I gather ... freekin' spooky!

That would be an "app" called Shazam. It's pretty cool. I use that one a lot when I'm in my car listening to the radio just like you described above. Better living through technology! :D

• 5 weeks later...

I just found a neat feature in iTunes 8. If you "Get Info" on a track or on an album, there is now a Sorting Menu. The field "Sort Artist" allows you to group (if you choose to) all related albums under one artist name. I was getting frustrated because my Blakey albums were separately sorted into "Art Blakey," "Art Blakey Quartet," "Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers," "Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers," etc. I entered Art Blakey into Sort Artist for each album, and now they appear alphabetically by album title. Each album retains its original artist name, but it's a seamless A-Z for all of them. I love this!

Having seen this little thing clipped to Harold Z's shirt last Monday, I went for it last night, as I happened to pass the all-night Apple store in Fifth Avenue. I have had a couple of king-sized iPods and that dusty Sony Walkman MD you see in the background, but—since I haven't done a regular commute since 1967 (when London was the other end) this 2GB device is all I need. I just have to be careful not to swallow it!

iPodshuffle.jpg

I have been using iTunes for a few years—no problem that a little bit of patience and reasoning didn't solve.

Chris - Isn't that about the handiest gadget for listening to music on the run? When I lost the first one I couldn't wait even one day to replace it.

I just found a neat feature in iTunes 8. If you "Get Info" on a track or on an album, there is now a Sorting Menu. The field "Sort Artist" allows you to group (if you choose to) all related albums under one artist name. I was getting frustrated because my Blakey albums were separately sorted into "Art Blakey," "Art Blakey Quartet," "Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers," "Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers," etc. I entered Art Blakey into Sort Artist for each album, and now they appear alphabetically by album title. Each album retains its original artist name, but it's a seamless A-Z for all of them. I love this!

That's a great tip. Thanks.

u guys are all mixed up. all i have is a little 40 dollar mp3 player: it weighs and is the size of about two camel cigrarettes side by side, and it holds WAY more than enough at 4 gb than ill ever need on any chewy-related adventure/// and if i loose it, no big whoop- i load on what i wanna listen to it in the morning and change the mix every day or every two if i dont finish everything. the two things i listened to today were Dodo Marmorosa and Atomic Rooster. I dare you to find me another person that any of you know, who listened side by side, to Atomic Rooser and Dodo Marmorosa, lol

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a cheap m3 player and aready have the free Winamp. Do I need to pay for the pro version to be able to download music from my PC to the player?

No, the free version of Winamp will work. I use it all the time to download to my iPod. Start winamp, and then plug in your MP3 player. Winamp should then ask if you want it to manage the portable device, say yes and you should be good to go...

• 5 weeks later...

I recently downloaded some music and it turned out to be .flac. There seems to be a new suffix every week!

Flac means lossless, blah, blah blah, but what good is that if it won't play with any hardware or software? Anyway, I have some software that converts all these thingys (.flac, .ogg, .pdq, ad nauseam) into regular mp3.

Where's my LPs?

• 4 weeks later...

My main hard drive just fried, and with it went my iTunes. I have all the music backed up, but want to dump the iPod into iTunes to preserve my playlists, cover art etc. There's scads of third party programs available, and I'm hoping someone here has recommendations to narrow the choice down.

Has anyone experienced this particular, admittedly mild, hell?

I recently downloaded some music and it turned out to be .flac. There seems to be a new suffix every week!

Flac means lossless, blah, blah blah, but what good is that if it won't play with any hardware or software? Anyway, I have some software that converts all these thingys (.flac, .ogg, .pdq, ad nauseam) into regular mp3.

Where's my LPs?

FLAC is around since 2001 and of course there is hardware that supports FLAC and Ogg Vorbis. Cowon's (with the original firmware) players do, for example. GNU/Linux distributions and other FOSS OSs use these free, open formats (those OSs would have to be licensed differently with out of the box MP3 support) . I understand that most consumers don't care for such details (which is ok): they purchase their stuff (MP3 license fee included) plug & play:

In spite of the patent restrictions, the perpetuation of the MP3 format continues. The reasons for this appear to be the network effects caused by:

* familiarity with the format,

* the large quantity of music now available in the MP3 format,

* the wide variety of existing software and hardware that takes advantage of the file format,

* the lack of DRM restrictions, which makes MP3 files easy to edit, copy and play in different portable digital players (Samsung, Apple, Creative, etc.),

* the majority of home users not knowing or not caring about the patent's controversy, who often do not consider such legal issues in choosing their music format for personal use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3#Licensing_and_patent_issues

Edited by rockefeller center