Blue Note - Beefing Up The Collection

Jazzjet

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some Blue Note gems which sometimes skip under the radar.

Walter Davis Jr 'Davis Cup'

Kenny Drew 'Undercurrent'

Stanley Turrentine 'Up at Mintons Vol 1 and 2'

Pete La Rocca 'Basra'

Joe Henderson 'Our Thing'

Booker Ervin 'The In Between'

Leo Parker 'Let Me Tell You 'Bout It'

Ike Quebec 'It Might As Well Be Spring'

Anthony Williams 'Spring' and 'Lifetime'

Grachan Moncur III 'Evolution' and 'Some Other Stuff'

lots more, of course.

Edited by sidewinder

On the basis of the recommendations/comments made etc ( plus reference to the Penguin Guide ) I've just put in a big Amazon order for :

No Room For Squares - Hank Mobley

Ready For Freddie - Freddie Hubbard

Inner Urge - Joe Henderson

Free For All - Art Blakey

Heavy Soul - Ike Quebec

Workout - Hank Mobley

Doin' The Thing - Horace Silver

Bossa Nova Soul Samba - Ike Quebec

This on top of a batch of Stanley Turrentines last week. No idea when and how I'm going to listen to all this stuff but hey you're only old once!

Damn you, this thread made me go to a local store who had those deals on RVGs here's what i picked up

Shades of Redd: Freddie Redd Quintet

Jutta Hipp with Zoot Simms: Jutta Hepp

Delightful: Lee Morgan

Face to face: Baby Face Willette

Volume 1; Sonny Rollins

Candy: Lee Morgan

Gettin' around: Dexter Gordon

plus the latest Cassandra Wilson and the soundtrack Juno.

Total cost 83 $

Damn you, this thread made me go to a local store who had those deals on RVGs here's what i picked up

Shades of Redd: Freddie Redd Quintet

Jutta Hipp with Zoot Simms: Jutta Hepp

Delightful: Lee Morgan

Face to face: Baby Face Willette

Volume 1; Sonny Rollins

Candy: Lee Morgan

Gettin' around: Dexter Gordon

plus the latest Cassandra Wilson and the soundtrack Juno.

Total cost 83 $

Sorry :D

I'd be interested to know what the Rollins Vol 1 is like. I'm only familiar with the more famous Vol 2 - one of my all time favourites. Not sure I've ever checked out Vol 1.

I'd be interested to know what the Rollins Vol 1 is like. I'm only familiar with the more famous Vol 2 - one of my all time favourites. Not sure I've ever checked out Vol 1.

Volume One is very very good (a personal favorite because I was playing this when my wife broke her water and eventually gave birth to our first daughter). Byrd is in good form as well as Max Roach. Not essential Rollins but very good by Rollins standards. The first and last tracks are terrific!

Jazzjet

Why not try this:

On Amazon, set search to music, then type in Blue Note. After this, click "under 5 pounds" (bottom left of the screen), then set the search criteria at the top to "Price: Low To High". Then simply scroll through the first few pages. Doing this, I've found loads of new Blue Notes for under one fifty.

The beauty of this is, that due to the liquid pricing, if you do this every few days, you'll find different titles at such prices. They might not all be the classic albums, but you really can't go wrong at those prices. I actually got the Grant Green 4CD set for one pound thirty-five doing this.

Jazzjet

Why not try this:

On Amazon, set search to music, then type in Blue Note. After this, click "under 5 pounds" (bottom left of the screen), then set the search criteria at the top to "Price: Low To High". Then simply scroll through the first few pages. Doing this, I've found loads of new Blue Notes for under one fifty.

The beauty of this is, that due to the liquid pricing, if you do this every few days, you'll find different titles at such prices. They might not all be the classic albums, but you really can't go wrong at those prices. I actually got the Grant Green 4CD set for one pound thirty-five doing this.

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like more of my money headed to Amazon any day now!

I'm just ploughing through the piles of Blue Note CDs that I've acquired recently, largely thanks to this forum.

Up At Minton's by Stanley Turrentine is a fine record with a relaxed feel. I particularly enjoyed Horace Parlan.

Can anyone recommend any of the Blue Note titles by Parlan ( none of which seem to have been reissued at a reasonable price ) or any of his work for other labels?

I'm just ploughing through the piles of Blue Note CDs that I've acquired recently, largely thanks to this forum.

Up At Minton's by Stanley Turrentine is a fine record with a relaxed feel. I particularly enjoyed Horace Parlan.

Can anyone recommend any of the Blue Note titles by Parlan ( none of which seem to have been reissued at a reasonable price ) or any of his work for other labels?

All the BN Parlans are available on Mosaic - a brilliant box!

MG

According to Jazzwise magazine the next batch of RVG reissues ( due on 1 September ) includes :

Hank Mobley Quintet - Hank Mobley

J.R. Montrose - J.R. Montrose

Lou Takes Off - Lou Donaldson

The Opener - Curtis Fuller

Plays Fats Waller - Jimmy Smith

Peckin' Time - Hank Mobley

Leapin' and Lopin' - Sonny Clark

Evolution - Grachan Moncur

Dimensions and Extensions - Sam Rivers

Dearly Beloved - Stanley Turrentine

Also due for release on 21 July are two in the Rare Groove series :

Heritage - Eddie Henderson

Howlin' for Judy - Jeremy Steig ( compilation of Steig's albums Legwork, This is Jeremy Steig and Wayfaring Stranger )