Blue Note - Beefing Up The Collection

Jazzjet

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also due for release on 21 July are two in the Rare Groove series :

Heritage - Eddie Henderson

Howlin' for Judy - Jeremy Steig ( compilation of Steig's albums Legwork, This is Jeremy Steig and Wayfaring Stranger )

Already mentioned in the Blue Note 2007 reissues thread. Along with 4 other apparent Rare Grooves.

I'm just ploughing through the piles of Blue Note CDs that I've acquired recently, largely thanks to this forum.

Up At Minton's by Stanley Turrentine is a fine record with a relaxed feel. I particularly enjoyed Horace Parlan.

Can anyone recommend any of the Blue Note titles by Parlan ( none of which seem to have been reissued at a reasonable price ) or any of his work for other labels?

All the BN Parlans are available on Mosaic - a brilliant box!

MG

turren_stan_lookoutja_101b.jpg

this one is on my short list

According to Jazzwise magazine the next batch of RVG reissues ( due on 1 September ) includes :

Hank Mobley Quintet - Hank Mobley

J.R. Montrose - J.R. Montrose

Lou Takes Off - Lou Donaldson

The Opener - Curtis Fuller

Plays Fats Waller - Jimmy Smith

Peckin' Time - Hank Mobley

Leapin' and Lopin' - Sonny Clark

Evolution - Grachan Moncur

Dimensions and Extensions - Sam Rivers

Dearly Beloved - Stanley Turrentine

Also due for release on 21 July are two in the Rare Groove series :

Heritage - Eddie Henderson

Howlin' for Judy - Jeremy Steig ( compilation of Steig's albums Legwork, This is Jeremy Steig and Wayfaring Stranger )

Glad the sale of EMI hasn't put an end to the RVG series.

I'm just ploughing through the piles of Blue Note CDs that I've acquired recently, largely thanks to this forum.

Up At Minton's by Stanley Turrentine is a fine record with a relaxed feel. I particularly enjoyed Horace Parlan.

Can anyone recommend any of the Blue Note titles by Parlan ( none of which seem to have been reissued at a reasonable price ) or any of his work for other labels?

Here's the Parlan Mosaic webpage...highly recommended! :)

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=197-A-MD-CD

Here's the Parlan Mosaic webpage...highly recommended! :)

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=197-A-MD-CD

Thanks - looks tempting.

• 2 weeks later...

As a result of asking the question about Blue Notes to get to improve my collection I've just got Cool Struttin' by Sonny Clark. I'm playing it now and it is truly excellent. Great tunes and great playing - almost the perfect Blue Note session. No idea how this one slipped through the net but I'm sure glad I've caught up with it now!

As a result of asking the question about Blue Notes to get to improve my collection I've just got Cool Struttin' by Sonny Clark. I'm playing it now and it is truly excellent. Great tunes and great playing - almost the perfect Blue Note session. No idea how this one slipped through the net but I'm sure glad I've caught up with it now!

Strangely, that was one of the first Blue Notes I ever bought. (Well, one of the first five or so.)

Strangely, that was one of the first Blue Notes I ever bought. (Well, one of the first five or so.)

Same here. I recall being in a local music store and heard someone commenting on the album. He placed it back in the bin and I ended up walking out the store with it.

My biggest surprise was Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue and handiest record to broaden my interest in terms of new artists ( to me then) was maybe Art Blakey A Night in Tunisia ...always quote this as THE record that clicked with me for jazz...went off then hunting down anything ( and I struggled then with supply) that has any of the artists on that side...Lee Morgan AND Wayne Shorter were the first finds then

my first three were Horace Silver Song for my father, Art Blakey Moanin and Herbie Hancock Maiden Voyage... don't know which one was first, got the latter two at the same time, Song for my father feels like my first Blue Note, don't have a very strong connection to the other two...

First one I got was "Back at the Chicken Shack".

Well, what else would you expect?

:D

MG

Me too - from a second hand stall on London's Petticoat Lane market - followed by Midnight Blue.

( I guess it's pretty sad that I can actually remember where I bought albums! )

My first BN albums were Go! by Dexter Gordon and the aforementioned Cool Struttin' by Sonny Clark, if memory serves. Both vinyl, as I didn't yet have a CD player in 1985.

(Not long after I found a cheap copy of Soul Station somewhere, but it wasn't until around 1990 that I really started to appreciate it.) :)

It took a long time for Blue Note LPs to become available in the UK. Unlike Riverside, some of whose stuff - like Brilliant Corners - was released on London American, BN never appeared (to my knowledge) on a British label. So when the first few, suitably promoted in the British jazz press, appeared, it was a big event. I remember Stanley Turrentine's Look Out! being among them, and I think Sonny Clark's Leapin' and Lopin' came soon after, but I don't remember my first BN purchase! I'm not even sure of the date of these first releases - was it as late as 1962? (Perhaps MG can help.)

First one I got was "Back at the Chicken Shack".

Well, what else would you expect?

:D

MG

Me too - from a second hand stall on London's Petticoat Lane market - followed by Midnight Blue.

( I guess it's pretty sad that I can actually remember where I bought albums! )

I can usually remember where I bought albums. It gets a bit confusing when I buy a hundred African cassettes within a few days at various market stalls in Africa, but otherwise I can. Oh, I can't generally remember where I buy stuff online, unless its stuff that only comes from one place, like CD Baby or various African sites. It's the physical being in a place and doing such and such that sets up the memory.

MG

Well, I remember quite clearly my first two BN's (bought almost simultaneously) were Jutta Hipp's Hickory House LP's (Vols. 1 + 2). And the reissue of George Wallington's 10in LP from the 5000 series came not long after.

Guess I'm the "odd man out" when it comes to "typical" BN fare and what you tend to fall for in the first place when BN is mentioned. :D :D

Edited by Big Beat Steve