Can anyone help ?

Jaffa

A few days ago, I picked this 78 up at a rummage sale for free.

It's no jazz - but a fairly pleasant female cabaret singer accompanied by a small combo.

Matrix in wax is B-1211-1 and B-1251-1; embossed "Made in China".

Can anyone tell me what the labels say so I may search the internet ?

Thank you all !

post-1116-1213364930_thumb.jpg

It's no jazz - but a fairly pleasant female cabaret singer accompanied by a small combo.

Thank you all !

Seems to be a recording done by someone named Buddy Bolden - whoever he may be. :D

Thank you all !

Hi Jaffa,

You might want to try asking at Haji Maji, a blog dedicated to old 78s from China and other parts of East Asia.

Also check at Excavated Shellac, which is similar to Haji Maji, but has a broader focus.

I'd be interested in hearing what you find out!

all the best,

seeline

You might want to try asking at Haji Maji, a blog dedicated to old 78s from China and other parts of East Asia.

Also check at Excavated Shellac, which is similar to Haji Maji, but has a broader focus.

Thanks Seeline for this! Familiar with Excavated Shallac

(everyone should check out the post on broken records that have come his way),

but Haji Maji is a wonderful surprise! Thanks again!

R~~

Thanks Seeline for this! Familiar with Excavated Shallac

(everyone should check out the post on broken records that have come his way),

but Haji Maji is a wonderful surprise! Thanks again!

R~~

My pleasure - and I found Haji Maji via the links at Excavated Shellac. He's moved them to the very bottom of the page, so you have to scroll and scroll and scroll - but they're worth the effort. ;)

I can't read Chinese at all, but the first four middle characters in the center of the label, says " I want you here.." Will have to have somebody translate the rest. I have a small and rare collection of Chinese female jazz singers from the 30s through 50s on CD. Intriguing stuff. What do they sound like? Imagine Billie or Ella singing in Chinese.

A lotta this is due to the Western influence on prewar-Shanghai where many of these singers originated from. A few years ago, I saw the Shanghai Peace Jazz Band (a bunch of old-timers playing swing) at a hotel and purchased a CD which I had them sign afterwards.

Thanks for all replies ! So far - so sketchy:

It is now clear that the record in question is indeed a Chinese Pathé; found the info in the blog http://hajimaji.wordpress.com/ - I never even knew there WERE Chinese Pathés <_<

Does anyone know of a Pathé-label discography similar to the works of Ruppli ? Obviously, that would solve my little mystery.

I found this:

Pathé

Beginning in 1908, Pathé began a massive schedule of recording in China through its office set up in Shanghai in 1907. Pathé's recordings covered almost all early Chinese famous Beijing and Cantonese Opera performances. The artists who made the recordings for Pathé served in Beijing and Cantonese operas' famous theatrical troupes by the end of the Qing Dynasty. Some of them served as teachers and performers in the Beijing Opera for the Imperial Palace during the Qing Dynasty. The records were 9.5", 11.5" and 14" in diameter, double-sided, vertical-cut with an etched-label (fig. t). Pathé's etched-label has become very popular to many Chinese collectors.

Antique Phonograph News

I just tried to google pathe and 35833, the catalogue number. Unfortunately, UK google treats pathe as path, and you get loads of computer addresses. If you're in Sitzerland, maybe your local google isn't so stupid.

MG

Thanks for the hint: Have tried it before - same here :(

I found this:

Pathé

Beginning in 1908, Pathé began a massive schedule of recording in China through its office set up in Shanghai in 1907. Pathé's recordings covered almost all early Chinese famous Beijing and Cantonese Opera performances. The artists who made the recordings for Pathé served in Beijing and Cantonese operas' famous theatrical troupes by the end of the Qing Dynasty. Some of them served as teachers and performers in the Beijing Opera for the Imperial Palace during the Qing Dynasty. The records were 9.5", 11.5" and 14" in diameter, double-sided, vertical-cut with an etched-label (fig. t). Pathé's etched-label has become very popular to many Chinese collectors.

Antique Phonograph News

Thanks for the tip !

Brian Rust's very useful "American Record Label Book" (1978) mentions Pathé and it's American & British companies controlled thorugh subsidiaries in detail on pp. 236-243 - but again no further clue as to a Chinese branch (which it was as the record seems to have been pressed in China).

I just tried to google pathe and 35833, the catalogue number. Unfortunately, UK google treats pathe as path, and you get loads of computer addresses. If you're in Sitzerland, maybe your local google isn't so stupid.

MG

It should work if you put the word between inverted commas: "pathé".

No results, though.

F

MG

Even with the accent on the final letter of "Pathé"?

* Never mind; I just tried it and see what you mean.... how frustrating!

Edited by seeline

MG

Even with the accent on the final letter of "Pathé"?

* Never mind; I just tried it and see what you mean.... how frustrating!

Yet another reminder that most programs were written by Americans :D

MG

asked my chinese colleague what he can read (so maybe let's forget for a moment that he keeps his dirty laundry under my table at work) he says the song is called "I want you come" ( :) ) the artist is Yi Min (where Yi is the family name) and the company is called Shanghai Beidai Cassette Company

(where i wouldn't take the word cassette too literally as he called the record a cassette...)

asked my chinese colleague what he can read (so maybe let's forget for a moment that he keeps his dirty laundry under my table at work) he says the song is called "I want you come" ( :) ) the artist is Yi Min (where Yi is the family name) and the company is called Shanghai Beidai Cassette Company

(where i wouldn't take the word cassette too literally as he called the record a cassette...)

Niko,

Thanks for your kind reply ! The song title (as translated by your colleague) makes me wonder whether the singer in question was some sort of Eastern Mae West <_<

Well, the hint to the page from the Philippines may be helpful - but yet another language to learn...