David Binney

bluemonk

I saw him a few times live, very fine player and has a very fine group of musician working with him, especially a certain piano player called Taborn. :rolleyes:

Only negative thing about him is that he always wears a fuckin' Yankees hat...

Well I don't take things like wearing a baseball cap of an opposing team too seriously, he is a great player and even better composer. Do you own any of his albums, Van Basten II?

I think I dig his work with Edward Simon more than I do with Taborn, but both are outstanding players.

Edited by bluemonk

Weirdly, i don't have much of him at home, only have South which i have not listened to in a long time so i can't remember much about it.

I saw him twice live and he was very impressive both times and you had the feeling that his formations were run as a very tight unit, drummer Dan Weiss showed also some great licks the last time i saw him this spring. I know he hangs around with a few of our local musicians among others Thom Gossage and joined in a few occasions Dan Thouin at a jam session during last year jazzfest.

Never heard him with Simon, i gotta admit i've never heard of Edward Simon , so i will have to check it out. Woops just did and just looking at the company he hangs around and i definitively will have to look for it.

To me Binney is a quintessential player of our era, his music has a very modern feeling to it while still having links to the past

Regarding the cap, i made fun about it because with now the Expos gone, the few baseball fans remaining here are Red Sox fans

Edited by Van Basten II

Weirdly, i don't have much of him at home, only have South which i have not listened to in a long time so i can't remember much about it.

I saw him twice live and he was very impressive both times and you had the feeling that his formations were run as a very tight unit, drummer Dan Weiss showed also some great licks the last time i saw him this spring. I know he hangs around with a few of our local musicians among others Thom Gossage and joined in a few occasions Dan Thouin at a jam session during last year jazzfest.

Never heard him with Simon, i gotta admit i've never heard of Edward Simon , so i will have to check it out. Woops just did and just looking at the company he hangs around and i definitively will have to look for it.

To me Binney is a quintessential player of our era, his music has a very modern feeling to it while still having links to the past

Regarding the cap, i made fun about it because with now the Expos gone, the few baseball fans remaining here are Red Sox fans

I really suggest getting "Free To Dream" and/or "Oceanos." Both are excellent and while you're at it check out "Afinidad." All of these feature Edward Simon on piano.

I really like Binney's albums - wide ranging and full of interest. Especially when he's teamed with Adam Rogers. They played the Cheltenham Festival over here a couple of years back - marvellous performance.

Well worth tracking down Joel Harrison's two 'Free Country' albums where Binney is a major voice. There was a live broadcast of a London gig of that band on the BBC that was very exciting.

Worth going to Binney's website. He regular puts up downloads of recent gigs at very inexpensive prices.

I really like Binney's albums - wide ranging and full of interest. Especially when he's teamed with Adam Rogers. They played the Cheltenham Festival over here a couple of years back - marvellous performance.

Well worth tracking down Joel Harrison's two 'Free Country' albums where Binney is a major voice. There was a live broadcast of a London gig of that band on the BBC that was very exciting.

Worth going to Binney's website. He regular puts up downloads of recent gigs at very inexpensive prices.

I own all the Joel Harrison and yes I agree Binney's mark are all over the ones he played on. The last one he did with Binney which was "Harbor" was very impressive. It had Harrison sharing guitar duties with Nguyen Le.

The best Binney albums, in my opinion, are "Free To Dream," "Afinidad," "Oceanos," and "South." But I really liked the Edward Simon album "La Bakina."

What continues to amaze me is how great a composer Binney is, he really has a distinctive style. His ballads are some of the best I've heard in years.

Edited by bluemonk

He did some really good work with Drew Gress's Jagged Sky group on a Soul Note CD, "Heyday". I also like his work with the quartet Lan Xang, on the Mythology Label.

Yes, his work with Gress was very good. What was cool about that album was it had Ben Monder on guitar on that session. Monder is one of my favorites, but Adam Rogers is David Binney's guitarist of choice and damn good one at that!

Again, "Free To Dream," "Oceanos," and "Afinidad" are just amazingly good, organic, very cohesive recordings. If anyone is a Binney fan or a potential fan, they should own these three albums. I also thought "Cities And Desires," "South," and "Welcome To Life" was good too.

• 1 year later...

I made a search and after further review i noticed i have a few of the Steeplechase recordings he made, he worked with one one my favourites Harold Danko and another one with Vic Juris (Night tripper) but i gotta admit i never noticed or remembered his name from those recordings. My bad, i'm not yet 40 watch out for my posts in a few years.

Anyway A small madness still remains a fine work worth discovering.