Jazz 625

Jazzjet

Does anyone know of a complete listing of the programmes made in the BBC's 1960s TV series Jazz 625? Typically of the BBC I believe some of the broadcast archives were destroyed ( probably to save money in order to fund Jonathan Ross's salary ) but there were some re-broadcasts in the 80s and 90s. I'm currently converting some of the Jazz 625 shows from VHS to DVD and this is what I have so far :

Cannonball Adderley

Art Blakey

Duke Ellington

Errol Garner

Dizzy Gillespie

Coleman Hawkins

Tubby Hayes

Thelonious Monk

Oscar Peterson

Jimmy Smith

Joe Turner

Ben Webster

Clark Terry & Bob Brookmeyer

Charlier Parker Tribute ( Sonny Stitt etc )

Various - Retrospective

Does anyone know of a complete listing of the programmes made in the BBC's 1960s TV series Jazz 625? Typically of the BBC I believe some of the broadcast archives were destroyed ( probably to save money in order to fund Jonathan Ross's salary ) but there were some re-broadcasts in the 80s and 90s. I'm currently converting some of the Jazz 625 shows from VHS to DVD and this is what I have so far :

Cannonball Adderley

Art Blakey

Duke Ellington

Errol Garner

Dizzy Gillespie

Coleman Hawkins

Tubby Hayes

Thelonious Monk

Oscar Peterson

Jimmy Smith

Joe Turner

Ben Webster

Clark Terry & Bob Brookmeyer

Charlier Parker Tribute ( Sonny Stitt etc )

Various - Retrospective

Wonderful collection! I saw quite a few of the original broadcasts. IIRC the Garner show began as nothing special, but the place was jumping when it was time to stop!

JATP (Kilburn, 2 broadcasts)

Henry Red Allen Meets The Alex Welsh Band (that one rocks !)

Bill Evans

Brit Jazz Various - Bill LeSage, Kenny Graham Modernists, Annie Ross etc

Tubby Hayes Orchestra

Benny Golson Orchestra (with Hayes, Ronnie Ross et al)

Picked a few up on video many years back when they were for sale. Wish I'd bought the lot !

I have a memory (perhaps false) of being at a taping of shows for Mose Allison and Jimmy Witherspoon in the summer of 1964.

Sort of answering my own question but I've found this listing from the British Film Institute. Even this doesn't look complete however as Jimmy Smith, for one, is missing. Still, at least its something.

BFI Jazz 625

I met a guy on a gig the other day who was present at the (in)famous Ayler session they destroyed...

I was there, what a night, unforgetable.

If my memory is correct that was part of a Jazz Goes to College series. I seem to recall seeing Horace Silver in the same series.

Edited by JohnS