Recommend some artists to a new listener

defunkt

First of all, Hi :)

Jazz never appealed to me much until lately. I listened to 'Bitches Brew' by Miles Davis, liked some parts of it and so now I'm looking for something similar. There's a few parts on there that are quite chilled/relaxed yet a bit sort of dark and repetetive, featuring deep bassy lines and soft percussion that I really liked. Trombone and vocals aren't really my thing when it comes to such a genre so more traditional jazz doesn't really appeal to me.

Completely arb question but I'm trying my luck, can anyone recommend anything similar?

Edited by defunkt

You might check some of Miles' other period recordings - like In a Silent Way, and Jack Johnson. Your comment about wanting something "similar to Miles Davis" is a bit deceptive though, because his style changed so many times over the years, from the 40's through the 80's.

Also, "traditional jazz" isn't really all about trombone and vocals.

You might check some of Miles' other period recordings - like In a Silent Way, and Jack Johnson. Your comment about wanting something "similar to Miles Davis" is a bit deceptive though, because his style changed so many times over the years, from the 40's through the 80's.

But defunkt is specific:

I listened to 'Bitches Brew' by Miles Davis, liked some parts of it and so now I'm looking for something similar.

Check out On The Corner by Miles. Get yer toes wet with just the album, go wild with with the box...

Also, "traditional jazz" isn't really all about trombone and vocals.

There's the banjo and tuba to consider too. :lol:

"Bitches Brew" is in some ways a nearly unique album, in terms of its moods, size of group and choice of instrumentation, sound textures, overall feeling.

There was a lot of electric jazz which followed it, especially for about six or seven years after its release, some of which was pretty good, but not much of it sounded like "Bitches Brew."

If you want to investigate the electric jazz that Miles Davis and others released in the 1970s, that is a topic which could generate dozens of recommendations. But few to none of the albums would really sound much like "Bitches Brew."

You say that you like the chilled, relaxed, dark, repetitive aspects of Bitches Brew. I agree that the Miles Davis "On The Corner" box set, "Bitches Brew Sessions" box set, "In a Silent Way" box set, and "Jack Johnson" box set, might give you more of that, in places. Herbie Hancock's "Crossings" album also comes to mind--but no other Herbie Hancock, really.

Edited by Hot Ptah

Miles at Fillmore East is a good Bitches Brew follow-up. None of the sessions on the "Complete" Bitches Brew box approach the real thing.

Beyond Miles, there's Herbie Hancock's Mwandishi, Crossings, and Sextant.

Arni Cheatham's Thing kind of has a Bitches Brew vibe to it.

Bitches Brew is unique. There's a lot of albums out there that people claim are "So-and-so's Bitches Brew" (such as Woody Shaw's Blackstone Leacy) but sound nothing like the real thing.

There's a lot of albums out there that people claim are "So-and-so's Bitches Brew" (such as Woody Shaw's Blackstone Leacy) but sound nothing like the real thing.

Woody Shaw's "The Blackstone Legacy" would be a good place to go.

Mileage indeed does vary. :g

...chilled/relaxed yet a bit sort of dark and repetetive, featuring deep bassy lines and soft percussion that I really liked....

d02888f01v9.jpg

No, it's not "like" Bitches Brew, not literally, but still, the vibe can take you to a much-similar place if you don't get hung up on that lack of literallity.

Guest Bill Barton

You might give Eric Truffaz or Russell Gunn a try.

Your description : "...chilled/relaxed yet a bit sort of dark and repetetive, featuring deep bassy lines and soft percussion that I really liked...." reminds me of their approaches.

Or Jon Hassell maybe? His Power Spot on ECM may appeal to you.

Edited by Bill Barton