Gillespie and Parker new Uptown releases

jazzbo

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably a foolish question, Lon, but are you sure they are delayed? Worlds doesn't say they are in stock but there is a "buy now" button.

KH, here are the descriptions:

CHARLIE PARKER

WASHINGTON D.C. 1948

Description

In the spring of 1948, Charlie Parker appeared in Washington D.C. at a promoted afternoon jam session billed as "Dixieland vs. Bebop". Previously unreleased, this recording chronicles the entire event that featured the equally legendary Buddy Rich, as well as a cast of Washington's best local musicians. Dixieland veterans Wild Bill Davison, Tony Parenti and Benny Morton also appear in a final open jam.

DIZZY GILLESPIE

SHOWTIME AT THE SPOTLITE, 52ND STREET, NEW YORK CITY, JUNE 1946

Description

(2-CD set) A rare live recording of the first generation of the Dizzy Gillespie big band legacy. This exciting audio archive, originally recorded by Jerry Newman, is presented in fully restored sound and showcases the band from two nights in June 1946. Personnel is an all-star cast including Thelonius Monk, Ray Brown, Kenny Clarke, James Moody, and Milt Jackson to name but a few. Another Uptown Flashback release that will take you back in time to the place where it all happened.

Dan, I think if you buy them from Worlds they'll not ship right now. They're back ordered from cduniverse.

The Dizzy has been out before (at least most of it, not sure if there's more in this edition) on Masters of Jazz. The Bird? Not sure.

Would that Dizzy set contain the live broadcasts that were on Masters of Jazz Vol. 7/8? That was a 2CD set ccotaining Dizzy big band airchecks plus that film soundtrack (minus the two or three tracks that were by this annoying organ duo or whatever it was)?

Shall be great to have this material with the usual careful Uptown treatment applied! And I guess if it's indeed a 2CD set and doesn't also contain the soundtrack, chances are there's more music on it than there is on the OOP Masters of Jazz set!

First time I heard about either of these new releases - very excited! Please keep us posted, Chuck!

The Dizzy set has been discussed before:

Monk with Dizzy Gillespie's big band, 1946 Spotlite

Here's what Chuck wrote then:

Jerry Newman recorded this stuff. Don Schlitten bought the original acetates and sent cassette dubs to a collector in Europe. Lps were issued from those tapes and the lps have been copied by a few folks for cd reissues.

Uptown purchased the original masters from Schlitten. In a few months Uptown will issue a "double" containing all the material from the "primary source". The sound still isn't "great" but it is what the discs deliver. We've been working on this a couple of years (with the Gillespie estate, unlike others). The final info will probably be different than the current info. Interviews with surviving members add a bunch of information.

Since the Uptown comes directly from the original acetates and not via cassette dubs and LPs, I think we can look forward to improved sound.

The Dizzy set has been discussed before:

Monk with Dizzy Gillespie's big band, 1946 Spotlite

Here's what Chuck wrote then:

Jerry Newman recorded this stuff. Don Schlitten bought the original acetates and sent cassette dubs to a collector in Europe. Lps were issued from those tapes and the lps have been copied by a few folks for cd reissues.

Uptown purchased the original masters from Schlitten. In a few months Uptown will issue a "double" containing all the material from the "primary source". The sound still isn't "great" but it is what the discs deliver. We've been working on this a couple of years (with the Gillespie estate, unlike others). The final info will probably be different than the current info. Interviews with surviving members add a bunch of information.

Since the Uptown comes directly from the original acetates and not via cassette dubs and LPs, I think we can look forward to improved sound.

Great! I missed that discussion, thanks for filling me in!

Chuck's in Iowa handling some family business. Beyond that, I know nothing.

Good to know - in addition to the question here about the Gillespie and Parker releases, some of us are wondering about the Dupree Bolton release, too. Hopefully Chuck will be back soon.

the Bird came out as volume 5 of a 4 CD set in 1999, "The Complete Recordings."

i don´t think so. can you give more exact information, please?

keep boppin´

marcel

Volume 5 of a 4 CD set? Hmmm. I've never heard of that Bird session before. The only "Dixieland versus Bop" recordings with Bird that I know of are the Bands for Bonds broadcasts.

My relationhip with Uptown is ending and I am not a source of current information.

I'm sorry to hear that Chuck. The Mingus reissue you did with Uptown struck me as a beautiful model for how those should be done. I hope you'll hook up with another label soon!

Greg Mo