**Law & Order Corner**

There must be some fans out there!

If so, did anyone see the episode of SVU tonight (Columbian drug lord)? That was, by far, the best episode I think I've seen of any Law and Order series.

I love 'em all, but you're right: tonight's was especially surprising! I can't help but get hooked if I happen to walk by the TV and it's on!

Edited by Big Al

I've been watching the original since the days of Chris Noth, and love the show. It's had its ups and downs, but I still enjoy it. SVU never appealed to me. I don't care for the characters, and the exploitive feel of the show is a bit much for me. Criminal Intent is worth watching just for the main character. Makes the lead on "Monk" seem normal! :lol:

I'm not a regular viewer, but I always enjoy an episode of "L&O" when I see one. It's very easy to get hooked. Part of it, of course, is the fact that the show has always employed very fine actors. Sam Watterson and Jerry Orbach have been favorites of mine from back in the Woody Allen days, so I always enjoy seeing them at work. I'm also a big fan of Jesse L. Martin (who turns out to be a high school classmate of my cousin Sadie's, but that's another story). I've seen several episodes of SVU, and I have to admit that I've grown to like it. Aside from the fact that it's nice to see Dann Florek back in harness, it has a unique feel that distinquishes it from "L&O." I also enjoy Ice T's work on that show. Since rapping is a form of acting, it's not surprising that so many rappers find success in that field. I've never seen "CI," but a friend of mine raves about it. Maybe I'll check it out. When is it on?

BTW, as much as I always liked Jill Hennessy and came to appreciate the raspy charms of Angie Harmon (although between her, Watterson, and Steven Hill, the series quickly became a rasp-a-thon), I have a soft spot for Carey Lowell (she's a former Bond girl too!).

I didn't like Elisabeth Rohm at first, but I've come to like her. She's a cutie, and she's German too!

I'm a Hennessey man.

I'm also with Jazzmoose in liking the oringinal the most (been watching since the days of Paul Sorvino) and not a big fan of SVU. I checked it out for the first season, then grew tired of the somewhat creepy feel of the show, though lately I find myself watching it again once in a while. Criminal Intent is is probably the favorite TV "guilty pleasure" of my wife and I right now. It breaks several of the L&O franchise's most basic rules, not least that it's a star vehicle rather than an ensemble...CI is all about the D'Onofrio character, AND instead of being an average, if dedicated, plodder (like the cops on the original) he's a genius! Through most of the first season half the buzz I got from watching it was wondering what ELSE the guy was going to turn out to know: German? Italian? Farsi? Computer programming? The history of the Roman Empire? He's Supercop, some comic-book conflation of Sherlock Holmes and Encyclopedia Brown. Also, generally speaking, it's the least predictable L&O series. The twists and turns are more left field or bizzare than the other two, which is saying a lot. (That's on the whole; I didn't see the last SVU.) Still, when it's on it's game, the original L&O remains the class act of the bunch. Imho, of course.

Also----gotta love that Jerry Orbach. Voice of a candelabra or seen-it-all cop, Jerry's your man. I like the new DA, too.

Edited by BruceH

I've been a fan ever since the Sorvino/Florek cast, and to this day it remains a sentimental favorite. Everything about that period of the show, the espiodes, the characters..everything is so understated, that i can see why the show had such a slow build. I think it was one of the first "cop/lawyer" shows to focus on plot, not chincy character devolpment (that came later when they started putting women in the cast). :P

That being said, I never liked Hennessy all that much, until that Crossing Jordan show...not that I watch it...she just looks HOT as that character. It was also nice to get the female perspective on the show. It took me a long time to warm up to Waterston. He is certainly not as intense as Moriarity, but may be the better actor (and a much better eye for the ladies. Then after Noth leaves, its kind of hit or miss for me, cuz I can't stand Jerry Orbach. I miss Steven Hill as well! :(

So onto the the offshoots.

CI is great because of D'Onofrio. He's a damn fine actor, but he IS that cop...he is fooking amazing in that show. Better than anything else I have seen him in (Full Metal Jacket not withstanding).

The other show, SVU, is OK in my book...just okay. I dont really watch all that much tv anymore, so I am not up on it, but I also love Floreks re-entrance and I like seeing Belzer and Ice-T on the show. I was a big fan of Homicide, so natually I gravitate to his role on the show. I just wish they would focus more air time to that partnership...I dunno, another spin off? The built in irony of Ice-T playing a detective is too cool for words!

Edited by Jazzdog

It took me a long time to warm up to Waterston. He is certainly not as intense as Moriarity, but may be the better actor (and a much better eye for the ladies. Then after Noth leaves, its kind of hit or miss for me, cuz I can't stand Jerry Orbach.

I'm with you there, Jazzdog; Moriarity was fantastic, and it took me a long time to get used to Waterston. I took an INTENSE initial dislike to Orbach, probably because of the contrast to Sorvino. But I think that contrast was intentional on the part of the writers; I could be wrong. Anyway, I've gotten used to him as well. As far as Florek goes, I missed him at first, but Merkerson is so cool, I really don't mind. It was nice to see him back on SVU, though I don't watch it anymore.

Yeah, I think my initial reaction re:Orbach, was his role on Murder She Wrote and because he put Baby in a corner, and as well ALL know, "Nobody puts Baby in the corner".

I always expect him to start singing at any given moment. Like I said, I really dont watch tv anymore unless the game is on!

Actually, I too initially loathed the Lennie Briscoe character, mainly because I hated to see Sorvino go I think. But I warmed up to him. This was more or less the pattern with many of the character substitutions on L&O. Initial loathing, fading to acceptance, then fondness. Some, like Angie Harmon, I grew to accept but never love. But I gotta love Orbach. And I'm not enough of a fan of Amercan musical theater of the 1970's to expect him to break into song.

Wasn't it strange how Dianne Weist (sp?) didn't last as the DA? After Hill was the DA forever, it seemed like Weist was in and out in no time.

I'm not enough of a fan of Amercan musical theater of the 1970's to expect him to break into song.

Wasn't it strange how Dianne Weist (sp?) didn't last as the DA? After Hill was the DA forever, it seemed like Weist was in and out in no time.

Well, neither am I...I just saw him singing on tv, and it scared me stuff!

Who replaced Dianne Weist??

Who replaced Dianne Weist??

Was there anyone between her and Fred Thompson?

BTW, I'm currently serving grand jury duty here in NYC (taking up a lot of time for 4 whole weeks) -- and it's all supposed to be completely secret -- but I do think I can share with you the fact that the instructional video we all have to watch is narrated (and he's on screen, not a voiceover) by -- SAM WATERSTON!

Our panel all cracked up when he appeared -- and I think we were all laughing at ourselves! -- like the whole endeavor really did seem much more important and REAL when his face showed up!

• 1 year later...