David Murray/Mal Waldron duo. Silence

JohnS

This is due for release on Justin Time on 24/6. It created a bit of interest when its existence became known. Don't know the recording date but it may well be one of Mal's last recordings. A must for me. Sound samples at Justin Time.

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought this today at our local record store--says it was recorded in Brussels Oct. 5 and 6, 2001.

Track listing:

Free for C.T.

Silence (Murray composition)

Hurray for Herbie (Waldron composition)

I Should Care

Jean-Pierre (the Miles tune)

All Too Soon

Soul Eyes

Didn't listen as closely as I should've the first time through (got too caught up catching up on the Big O, if you know what I mean). First impression was that MW wasn't feeling particularly inspired during these sessions, but it sounds good enough, particularly if you're a Murray and/or Waldron fan (second time through I'm digging Murray's excursion on "Jean-Pierre").

Available for free (thieving) download on one blog site since June 26. Why do any of us try?

You probably just advertised to more people than would have seen it on the blog.

I bought it last week from emusic.

Available for free (thieving) download on one blog site since June 26. Why do any of us try?

You probably just advertised to more people than would have seen it on the blog.

I bought it last week from emusic.

There are hundreds of 'em.

So, if we don't mention them, we all win? :mellow:

Got mine through eMusic as well (aka, legal thieving -- very little payout to the artist from eMusic and I'm still trying to reconcile that). Chuck, I saw that at said location (I always surf for OOP stuff when I have the chance). Any coincidence that the ring leader at said blog is one of the major assholes among that crowd? I think not.

Well, I never get tired of occasionally posting this exchange from ANIMAL CRACKERS:

Spaulding: What do you fellas get an hour?

Ravelli: For playing, we get-a ten dollars an hour.

Spaulding: I see. What do you get for not playing?

Ravelli: Twelve dollars an hour.

Spaulding: Well, clip me off a piece of that.

Ravelli: Now for rehearsing, we make special rate. That's-a fifteen dollars an hour...That's-a for rehearsing.

Spaulding: And what do you get for not rehearsing?

Ravelli: You couldn't afford it. You see, if we don't rehearse, we a-don't play, and if we don't play (he snaps his finger) - that runs into money.

Spaulding: How much would you want to run into an open manhole?

Ravelli: Just-a the cover charge! Ha, ha, ha.

Spaulding: Well, drop in some time.

Ravelli: Sewer.

Spaulding: Well, we cleaned that up pretty well.

Ravelli: Well, let's see how-a we stand.

Spaulding: Flat-footed.

Ravelli: Yesterday, we didn't come. (To Mrs. Rittenhouse) You remember, yesterday we didn't come?

Spaulding: Oh, I remember.

Ravelli: Yes, that's three hundred dollars.

Spaulding: Yesterday, you didn't come, that's three hundred dollars?

Ravelli: Yes, three hundred dollars.

Spaulding: Well, that's reasonable. I can see that alright.

Ravelli: Now today, we did come. That's-a (pause)..

Spaulding: That's a hundred you owe us.

Ravelli: Hey, I bet I'm gonna lose on the deal. Tomorrow we leave. That's worth about (pause)..

Spaulding: A million dollars.

I've only played it once, and I love both guys. That said, there is better material from both. However, I think this is an excellent, very listenable set. If you're looking for a classic, this isn't it. But, as someone once said to me, "I'd listen to Mal set his drink on the piano." Waldron is not on fire, as he he gets on some of the live sets with Rouse and CROWD SCENE with Ricky Ford, but he's musical, tuned in, and professional -- listenable. Murray is Murray, and while that rubs some folks, he's one of the few guys I've seen and consistently been impressed by. If you like Murray and you like Waldron, this is a safe purchase (especially at the eMusic price). If you're questionable towards either, move on.

• 2 years later...

Listening to this for the first time. Very good album.

Guy

Thanks for timely note. I saw a copy of this at local record store day and hesitated. This may push me over the edge. Haven't found samples on Amazon or elsewhere, hence the hesitation. (That said, I haven't looked all that hard over a $5 purchase.)

• 10 years later...