Abdullah Ibrahim

Adam

We mention him a lot but according to a search he doesn't have his own thread yet (at least, not under Artists or Recommendations). he has his own website now

http://www.abdullahibrahim.com/start.html

Which includes Forums to discuss him and m7!

On Jazzmatazz, Alan lists the following

African Horns - African Horns (Camden) Oct 14

Abdullah Ibrahim - African Sun (Camden) Oct 14

Abdullah Ibrahim - Blues for a Hip King (Camden) Oct 14

Abdullah Ibrahim - Tintinyana (Camden) Oct 14

Abdullah Ibrahim - Voice of Africa (Camden) Oct 14

AMG doesn't list them, but the other great Ibrahim website, Mantra Modes,

http://junior.apk.net/~hoon/6Mantra_Modes.html

describes them as compilations from mostly earlier material. I assume these are reissues, but can anyone speak to any of the recordings?

And what are your favorite Ibrahim/Dollar Brand records? I have 6 or 7 now and like them all.

I think I have a spare copy of African Dawn (one CD, one LP) if anyone wants to trade for one.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have CD-R's of all those, kindly supplied by a friend in the UK as I could never locate them here. Really glad to hear they are being reissued, hopefully with better distribution in the U.S. this time! They are uniformly excellent. Someday I'd love to see a complete, chronological issue of this music with vault stuff if it exists and with better liners (the Camdens are very bare-bones).

You might use the search function on the board to find a recent thread where we discussed this material and other jazz from South Africa - although I can't recall the title of the thread, sorry.

His first in the U.S., DUKE ELLINGTON PRESENTS THE DOLLAR BRAND TRIO is a sentimental favorite, and I also enjoy his soundtrack work for NO FEAR, NO DIE.

Excellent idea for a thread! Ibrahim is an artist I have neglected (for no particular reason) in the past years. Was a great fan of him when his records were issued under the Dollar Brand. All LPs. Records I enjoyed were 'Good News from Africa', 'African Marketplace', 'Anatomy of a South African Village'. Also the 'Confluence' duo session with Gato Barbieri and the 'Third World' album with Don Cherry and Carlos Ward which was issued by the Japanese label Trio.

Don't have any of his CDs. Waiting for suggestions on what to search for.

Although AMG does not list the Camden reissues, they do list the earlier, identical Kaz reissues. To read AMG's reviews of some of this material, just click on the following links for the original issues on the Chiaroscuro label:

Soweto

Capetown Fringe

Black Lightning

If you really want to read helpful opinions of this music, the most recent edition of the Penguin Guide reviews each of the Camden reissues, awarding them 3-4 stars. Personally, I like these discs, but not as much as the later African Marketplace, Water From An Ancient Well, and African River.

Edited by jazzshrink

I gave Zimababwe another spin. This is a great, great record on which Ibrahim also plays soprano saxophone. Some songs are therefore without piano but with TWO horns (flute), very remarkable. It starts off with Kramat which I find one of Ibrahim's most beautiful tunes. The album has a real nice relaxed vibe to it with some mesmerising chanting and nice fat "african drums."

This has been put out on CD by enja in the early nineties I believe, I have the LP myself.

4056.jpg

I'm a HUGE fan!

The discographical information (with some mistakes, maybe) to all these (and one other) Camden release are listed in the Kippie Moeketsi thread (here)

Those are all great albums. Voice of Africa and particularly African Sun are among my favorite Ibrahim albums. African Horns is a very good one, too. A compilation featuring some of the best south african musicians of that time.

Zimbabwe, is together with the other Enjas featuring Carlos Ward (Montreux, South Africa), among the first Ibrahim albums I have heard, and still one of my favorites.

Then, African Marketplace (Warner) is a true masterpiece. There you get the typical, slightly polyphonic, horns paired with african beats, and good solos mainly from Ward and Ibrahim himself. A stunningly beautiful album!

African River is a very good group date, featuring, among others Robin Eubanks, John Stubblefield and Howard Johnson.

His two duo albums with Johnny Dyani (sp?) are beautiful, too. As is some of his solo stuff - African Piano (ECM), and his two Sackville albums come to mind, as well as some Enja stuff.

Africa - Tears & Laughter is a rather sparse album, but it grew to become one of my favorites.

If his more recent stuff, Yarona is a marvel. One of my favorite piano trio records (and I really mean that)! Marcus McLaurine is on bass, and George Johnson on drums. Recorded live in a club in NYC, this is a very moody, sometimes happy, often rather dark, beautiful album.

I saw him live in Zurich (where he was discovered by Duke Ellington many years ago) three times. Solo in a small church, an intimate and very strong concert, in duo with Max Roach (rather disappointing, but not really a bad concert, only, they did not live up to expectations), and in trio in a small jazz club. He is still going strong! Hope he will give us much more great music! (And hope Enja comes around reissuing some stuff currently lost)

ubu

I saw Abdullah Ibrahim last year with the NDR Big Band...a wonderful, colourful, exhuberant concert. Ibrahim had a quiet but very warm and very welcoming way of introducing the pieces. A textbook example of how to involve an audience into a concert - I'm sure he won many new admirers that night.

I love the disc "Ekapa Lodumo" on Enja - more or less the tunes from that concert also done by the NDR band.

"The Mountain" contains music from "Ekaya" and "Water from an Ancient Well", Ekaya's first two records.

I was fortunate to see Ekaya when they came to Ann Arbor several years ago. The group cooked! Abdullah Ibrahim played a mostly supportive role. I thought that he imparted a very dignified and reverent air to the proceedings.

I reach most for Abdullah Ibrahim's solo recordings, mostly from the '70s and '80s: "African Piano" (JAPO/ECM, 1969); "Fats, Duke, and the Monk" and "Ancient Africa" (both on Sackville, 1973); "Ode to Duke Ellington" and "...memories" (both on West Wind, 1973); "Nisa" (1978); "Autobiography" (Plainisphare, 1978); "Matsidiso" and "South African Sunshine" (both on Pläne, 1980); and "African Dawn" (Enja, 1982).

I also enjoy the recordings he made with Carlos Ward: the first two Ekaya records mentioned above; "The Journey" (recently reissued on Downtown Sound, 1978); the wonderful "Duke's Memories" (String, 1981); "At Montreux" (1980); "Zimbabwe" (Enja, 1983); and a passionate live duet recording from 1984 that was briefly available on Poljazz that is superior to their Sweet Basil set from around the same time.

The two duet recordings with Johnny Dyani on Enja should also not be missed. They are very intimate and magical sets.

Since Abdullah Ibrahim returned to South Africa from exile in the early '90s, his music has generally not been as compelling to me. Not surprisingly perhaps, returning home has brought a new relaxed, mellow quality to his music. What I've heard from his recent trio recording "African Magic" has sounded quite nice.

Water From An Ancient Well and Ekaya are my favorites, but I can remember loving the Chiaroscuro LP, Capetown Fringe before I was even a jazz fan. My father played that LP a lot in the house when I was younger. A good trio date is the 1996 recording Cape Town Flowers

Anyone know if an Lp titled  (I think) "African Herbs"    was ever released on cd?

I'm not sure whether this is the same recording, but a cd by that name was issued in May of 2002 by the Chicago-based label Rerooted. Here's a link: African Herbs.

Thanks. (I guess I should have done a search myself. ) Not much information but I presume that it's the same recording.

• 5 months later...

Posted this earlier today in the "Funny Rat" (as there are some Dyani-fans over there):

Wanted to mention this one:

B0000931LX.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It features 44 minutes of music (one short ZA-jive, and two long ones), by a medium-sized group including Don Cherry (who was sick that night, the liner notes say), Carlos Ward, Hamiet Bluiett, Roy Brooks (drs), John Betsch (perc), Talib Rhynie (never heard of him), and the great Johnny Dyani. Dyani's playing is strong, beautiful and big-sounded as always. Like this one a lot (AMG gives it three stars only).

It was reissued last year, on the Chiaroscuro associated label Downtown.

ubu