Abdullah Ibrahim

Adam

i have an old record from him.... Natural Rhythm.....i love it, he plays some cool fenderrhodes on it.....the drummer is not always in time...but this music is full of love......great saxaphone-player on it....mmh wats his name again...

(googles)

could not find this record....mmmh? i guess i have a rare album! (made in 1977) ;)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Mountain" contains music from "Ekaya" and "Water from an Ancient Well", Ekaya's first two records.

I was fortunate to see Ekaya when they came to Ann Arbor several years ago. The group cooked! Abdullah Ibrahim played a mostly supportive role. I thought that he imparted a very dignified and reverent air to the proceedings.

I reach most for Abdullah Ibrahim's solo recordings, mostly from the '70s and '80s: "African Piano" (JAPO/ECM, 1969); "Fats, Duke, and the Monk" and "Ancient Africa" (both on Sackville, 1973); "Ode to Duke Ellington" and "...memories" (both on West Wind, 1973); "Nisa" (1978); "Autobiography" (Plainisphare, 1978); "Matsidiso" and "South African Sunshine" (both on Pläne, 1980); and "African Dawn" (Enja, 1982).

I also enjoy the recordings he made with Carlos Ward: the first two Ekaya records mentioned above; "The Journey" (recently reissued on Downtown Sound, 1978); the wonderful "Duke's Memories" (String, 1981); "At Montreux" (1980); "Zimbabwe" (Enja, 1983); and a passionate live duet recording from 1984 that was briefly available on Poljazz that is superior to their Sweet Basil set from around the same time.

The two duet recordings with Johnny Dyani on Enja should also not be missed. They are very intimate and magical sets.

Since Abdullah Ibrahim returned to South Africa from exile in the early '90s, his music has generally not been as compelling to me. Not surprisingly perhaps, returning home has brought a new relaxed, mellow quality to his music. What I've heard from his recent trio recording "African Magic" has sounded quite nice.

I also like his recordings with Ekaya the best, the recording I have listened to the most being Mindiff.

I prefer his composition/leader skills to his solo skills. I've only seen him live in a trio, and while it was good, it wasn't nearly as compelling as his leadership of a larger ensemble.

• 5 months later...

I'm going to kick this thread up for some air. I've been going through my Ibrahim / Dollar Brand recordings again this week and loving each and every one of them. I don't have too many (Water from an Ancient Well, African Piano and one of the collaborations with Johnny Dyani) so I will be using some of these recommendations to flush out my collection soon.

John, I'd heartily recommend his early trio discs, if you've been into "African Piano". They were recorded live at the Montmartre in Copenhagen, 1965, with Johnny Gertze (b) and Makaya Ntshoko (d). I only have one of the, "Round Midnight at the Montmartre", the other is called "Anatomy of an African Village" or something, if I remember right. That music has a freshness one still can feel today. Both discs are (were?) on Black Lion.

I just heard an interview on swiss radio with Irene Schweizer. Ibrahim was one of the most important early influences on her playing (later came Cecil Taylor) and she heard him play in Zurich in the early sixties countless times. "African Piano", by the way, is her favourite recording!

ubu

It is a shame that this tour will be so limited in the U.S. I would have loved to have seen him...

now playing Good News from Africa.. What a beautiful album! This is one of teh few times I've been able to play this album at a reasonable volume and really appreciate Johnny Dyani's contribution. This is a masterpiece.

I'm now listening to a breathtakingly beautiful recording of a duet concert by Abdullah Ibrahim and Carlos Ward, recorded in Poland in 1984 on the Poljazz label.

I love the Enja discs he made with Ward!

The following two are my personal and sentimental favourites, as they were among the first Ibrahim, among the first jazz, in fact, that I heard:

B000005C7R.03.LZZZZZZZ.gif

B000003MTL.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

ubu

I just took out African Magic from the library, and am really enjoying it. This is a live trio set, with Belden Bullock on bass and Sipho Kunene on drums. It was recorded in Berlin on 7/13/2001 and sounds great. I need some more time to really pay attention to this disc but, after two listens, I would highly recommend it.

f69210k5s44.jpg

Edited by John B

I just took out African Magic from the library, and am really enjoying it. This is a live trio set, with Belden Bullock on bass and Sipho Kunene on drums. It was recorded in Berlin on 7/13/2001 and sounds great. I need some more time to really pay attention to this disc but, after two listens, I would highly recommend it.

f69210k5s44.jpg

John, this one's real nice, BUT check out "Yarona"! That one is terrific, and definitely one of my favourite piano-trio jazz recordings!

B000001Z8B.03.LZZZZZZZ.gif

This is by far my favourite nineties and later Ibrahim recordings, by far! Great atmospheric live recording with a good rhythm team, playing some of his old hits, but in a decidedly interesting and new shape.

ubu

For my part the best are on Enja with Carlos Ward. My favourite by a whisker is probably the "Montreux" disc which introduced me to Craig Harris as well as Ward.

Harris has one killer solo on "African Marketplace"! (Or am I mixing things up?)

I'm not so sure about the Montreux. My favourite is "South Africa", "Zimbabwe" is fine, as is the MOntreux, but "South Africa" was my first encounter with Ward, and McBee, and my second Ibrahim after "African Marketplace". That one was in constant rotation on my parent's record player...

ubu

A favorite Abdullah Ibrahim quartet recording (with Carlos Ward) from 1981 is "Duke's Memories". I had it originally on LP, and now on CD (both on the String label). It is currently available on the "Black & Blue" label, with the tracks in a different order for some reason.

A favorite Abdullah Ibrahim quartet recording (with Carlos Ward) from 1981 is "Duke's Memories".  I had it originally on LP, and now on CD (both on the String label).  It is currently available on the "Black & Blue" label, with the tracks in a different order for some reason.

Yes that one too.

I've seen Ibrahim on several occasions, solo, trio, quintet and with Ekaya. The first time was a solo concert from the "South African Sunshine" period. Incredible communication with the audience, I came extremely moved by the performance. A later solo concert (should have been a duo with Basil Coetze who didn't show, shame) in a church was utterly boring and I left at the interval. The last concert I attended was a trio gig, again it didn't communiocate with me for the most part, an hour plus medley, slow tempos and not much harmonic or rhythmic variation. Seemed like he was was just going through the motions. I was definitely getting fidgety. Fortunately the second half was livlier.

In between I saw Ekaya several times, they put on a good show, but why did they always look so serious and humourless. At one gig in particular only Kenwood Dennard seemed to be enjoying himself, smiling and laughing continually while the rest of the band looked on dourly.

Edited by JohnS