Abdullah Ibrahim

Adam

I'm not sure I need to hear a remix album of Abdullah Ibrahim. At least not until I've exhausted the rest of his discography.

I bought a cheap copy of Ekapa Lodumo off of half.com. I really love this album. It is a live date with the GDR big band and well worth grabbing. I'm appreciating his work more with every album I hear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on the other hand, I also picked up a cheap used copy of Knysna Blue, and it is a bizarre album. AMG describes it as a solo disc, recorded upon his first return to South Africa. That is a bit deceptive, as, yes, it is technically a solo disc, but not just Ibrahim on piano. Ibrahim sings, chants, programs an annoying drum machine, plays horns and bass, etc...

This would have benefited from a real band and, imo, less vocals. Not recommended as an essential Ibrahim disc.

c6560453dmy.jpg

Edited by John B

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Phil,

the Dollar Brand session on the Jazz Colours CD is one Live from Copenhagen Jazzhus MOntmartre 30.02.1965 as per the booklet. As Allmusic lists the same recording date for the Black Lion one, I would rate 99,99% probability that this Series is simply a low budget release from old OOP Black Lion records....(which automatically makes me eager to look at other sessions ...)

Cheers, Tjobbe

Phil,

the Dollar Brand session on the Jazz Colours CD is one Live from Copenhagen Jazzhus MOntmartre 30.02.1965 as per the booklet. As Allmusic lists the same recording date for the Black Lion one, I would rate 99,99% probability that this Series is simply a low budget release from old OOP Black Lion records....(which automatically makes me eager to look at other sessions ...)

Cheers, Tjobbe

Thanks - Tjobbe. In addition to the Dollar Brand disc I also picked a nice Dudu Pukwana Jazz Colours release called "Ubagile"

B00002DF5Z.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Up again for this thread in recognition of Abdullah Ibrahim's magnificent performance last night with his trio at Bath. Somehow his work has always passed me by - I think the only one of his LPs I've got is the very early Fontana with the Marte Roling sleeve art. Anyway, with his current trio he is playing superbly well in the manner of a great 'old master'. Beautiful and sensitive playing - catch them while you can !

Edited by sidewinder

I loved Ibrahim's performance with one of the German radio orchestras at Cheltenham a few years back. But I found this one hard to concentrate on.

I don't think it was the music - certainly the audience at the Pavillion went wild. I suspect I was suffering listening fatigue after two+ days of concerts; and though I understand why they rearranged the seating to get in everyone who wanted to hear the trio, it made it very uncomfortable. Crushed and very, very hot.

I'm not sure I care for the daisy chain of tunes played without a break for an hour either. No chance to draw breath between tunes or have the chance to let off steam by clapping etc.

Clearly a masterful performance - low key, quite serene. But for some reason it didn't really touch me. My fault I'm sure.

[The rest of the weekend was a scream...some fantastic unknowns from across the Channel!]

• 1 year later...

A few recommendations from a proud owner of 30+ of Abdullah Ibrahim albums.

Banyana- The Children Of Africa with its majestic Ishmael.

B000005C66.01._AA130_SCMZZZZZZZ_V1056636568_.jpg

Good News From Africa- duet with Johnny Dyani

B000005C63.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg- both albums on Enja.

Anything from his band Ekaya (unfortunately their best self-titled album is out of print).

From his recent albums- Yarona & African Magic are both great piano trio albums- again on Enja.

B00007MB53.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Also there is a video aptly titled "A Brother With Perfect Timing" that offers a great insight into his music.

B0007WQHJO.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Saw him last week, solo at the London Jazz fest, and as ever mesmerising and transcendent.

Must get a recent album, African Magic the best of the recent sets?

Would love to hear a trio/solo live set like I heard since there is a lot in the hour long performance I'd like to revisit

Edited by fent99

Colin, "Yarona" is my favourite, but then it's 10 years old already - a magnificient live recording with a slightly more intervening trio than he leads now (the youngsters he has now are merely supporting, and alas a bit boring, I think). Good to hear Ibrahim is still in good form, though!

Colin, "Yarona" is my favourite, but then it's 10 years old already - a magnificient live recording with a slightly more intervening trio than he leads now (the youngsters he has now are merely supporting, and alas a bit boring, I think). Good to hear Ibrahim is still in good form, though!

Still as majesterial as ever. Good to hear from you ubu! I'll look out for that one thanks.

• 9 months later...