"The Darkness": a 1981-ish neo-"hair-band"

Rooster_Ties

g05003psg7m.jpgbelieve-cover.gifg00408z0108.jpgg00407o6mny.jpgg00395hxe89.jpg

They're from the U.K. - sound samples HERE, but much scarier yet are their videos (see link down below).

I saw the video for "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" on VH1 today, and I thought I was having a freakin' flashback or something. Suddenly I was back in junior high and high school, when bands like Warrant, Whitesnake, Dio, Poison, Mötley Crüe, and Winger ... and the like ... were all the rage. (And did I ever quickly learn to dislike most of that music back then.)

So then, lord help us if the next 'big thing' in pop music is a return to the hard-rock (and 'big hair') sounds of the late 70's and early 80's. :o

(But I guess, as they say, everything old is (eventually) new again.)

AMG bio and review of their 2003 album: Permission to Land

Edit: And here's the band's website: http://www.thedarknessrock.com/

Be afraid, be very afraid... And best/worst of all, here's three of their videos too!! :o

(You gotta scroll up and down by hovering over the scroll-bar arrows - weird! :wacko: )

Link: http://www.thedarknessrock.com/video/

NEVER in my life did I ever expect to see a revival of this kind of music. :unsure:

a sure sign of the apocalypse in 2003??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Well, to me they sure look and sound just as 'serious' as the real thing (back in the day).

I'm not saying this is a good thing, or a bad thing -- but like it or not, it is a thing to be reckoned with. Now whether it leads to a full-scale revival of an entire forgotten genre has yet to be seen.

But in the event that such a thing would happen - I started this thread to give all of us enough time to take the proper and necessary precautions. In fact, if we each do our part now – before this thing takes off and becomes a force run rampant, and totally out of control – perhaps the impact can be contained, with only a reasonable number of 'acceptable losses' – and we can maybe even minimize the 'collateral damage' as well, who knows?

Remember, the future of an entire half-decade of popular music is probably riding on this!! I shudder to think of what future generations will possibly say when they look back on what could be known as possibly among the darkest days of popular music ... when neo-'hair-bands' roamed the airwaves, unchecked and unfettered, for the better part of the last half of the first decade of a new century.

And then, if such a thing does actually happen ... it's entirely possible that a development such as this might inevitably lead to music-genre hybrids never before envisioned, not even in our wildest nightmares!! Yes, I'm talking about the very real possibility of a full-scale synthesis of late 70’s/early 80’s "Hair-Band" Hard Rock/Pseudo-Metal... ...and Rap!!!

(And you thought Limp Bizkit pissed off an entire generation of parents?? You just wait!!!! :P )

Thanks for starting the thread rooster , you cant get away from them over here now they are infecting Organissimo!!!!!

That bloody single is always on the radio , when i get home & my step daughter is watching music channels the videos on there constantly .

They claim to be serious but looking at their video & image they've got to be being ironic . Havent they ???

Edited by Gary

Closet door opens...

I've never heard of The Darkness, and that style of music doesn't really appeal to me much these days. But I will say that I enjoyed many of the 1st wave of "hair" bands from the early 1980s, and if The Darkness is similar, then what's the harm? Apparently, I don't feel nearly as threatened by their popularity as do some of you guys.

Van Halen (late 1970s), Ratt, Motley Crue, Quiet Riot and Def Leppard were particularly infantile, and in my opinion, a lot of good fun. They seemed to mix 70s glam and punk with a more commercial approach, and it was a great diversion from the other stuff I loved at the time (UK post punk). Hard rock appealed to me because it required no thought or concentration. I suspect we all have styles of music that give us a vacation from what we ordinarily listen to.

It all became too stupid to take by the late 1980s with Winger, Cinderella, Warrant, and other 2nd wave hair bands. They sucked, and actually had little to do with the 1st wave of hard rock bands of the early 1980s.

Hard rock always worked best for me when it was about fun in the sun, girls, ridin' with the top down, etc.... In fact, ever since the Grunge scene took off in 1991 or so, hard rock has been a downer for me. I'll take mindless guitar riffs at 1000mph over Kurt Cobain's miserable whining any day.

Though none of this is worth deconstructing, is it. ^_^

But in the event that such a thing would happen - I started this thread to give all of us enough time to take the proper and necessary precautions. In fact, if we each do our part now – before this thing takes off and becomes a force run rampant, and totally out of control – perhaps the impact can be contained, with only a reasonable number of 'acceptable losses' – and we can maybe even minimize the 'collateral damage' as well, who knows?

Remember, the future of an entire half-decade of popular music is probably riding on this!! I shudder to think of what future generations will possibly say when they look back on what could be known as possibly among the darkest days of popular music ... when neo-'hair-bands' roamed the airwaves, unchecked and unfettered, for the better part of the last half of the first decade of a new century.

Why does "The Central Scrutinizer" come to mind when I read this?

"One of our friendly counselors gave him a donut and told him to stick closer to church-oriented social activities..."

Thanks for starting the thread Rooster - you can't get away from them over here, and now they are infecting Organissimo!!!!!  That bloody single is always on the radio, when i get home & my step daughter is watching music channels, the video's on there constantly.  They claim to be serious, but looking at their video & image, they've got to be being ironic.  Haven't they???

My god, it's worse than even I had feared!! :o We need to develop a "neo-hair-band" emergency alert system for the U.S. - PRONTO!!! :ph34r:

bush_homeland_SpencePlatt1.jpg

"We have to take the possible threat

of neo-'hair-bands' very seriously.

Somebody get me Tom Ridge on the

phone, now!"

:rlol

I'm a bit mystified as to why you think I might be able to explain. You'll be asking me to explain the rules of cricket next!

Funny, but I was in the supermarket the other day and a middle aged professional type was buying a copy of a CD by this band. I'd never heard of them but recall just wondering who they were. If their record is on sale in the supermarket they must be big!

I'll ask my 6th Formers tomorrow (16-18 year olds).

I'm a bit mystified as to why you think I might be able to explain. You'll be asking me to explain the rules of cricket next!!

Bev, you were just the first U.K. person around here that I thought of. And "cricket", what's that?? :huh: Please explain. ^_^

The funny thing about all this (according to the AMG bio), is that this band all strarted with the lead singer belting out a fantastic verison of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" in some karaoke bar on New Year's Eve in 1999. :P

I took a look at all three videos just now (I was half-asleep when I started this thread late last night), and you do have to marvel at the degree to which they've gone to mimic the style of "hair-bands" of the late 70's. The sound is there, and the look is there too. Really damn creepy, on some levels - and maybe remarkable on other some other level.

Maybe I can begin to understand why this is taking off in England -- cuz I can imagine people being amazed at the degree to which it's just like turning back the clock

( That, and probably some serious media saturation and heavy rotation on the right radio stations. ;) )

When I was 16 I wouldn't have been caught dead listening to my Dad's record collection.

I'm always amazed by how the kids I teach are happy to name check their Dad's record collections!

Maybe they get the sound of their Dad's collection by their very own group in this.

Clearly the aural eqivalent of all those Hollywood remakes of old classic movies.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Apparently, I don't feel nearly as threatened by their popularity as do some of you guys.

"Threatened?" Come on, I just think the stuff sucks. I don't feel "threatened".

Although this time around, my oncoming baldness certainly adds to the loathing... ;)

All part of the gag...

And "cricket", what's that?? :huh: Please explain. ^_^

Cricket is baseball....with brains!

I had the fortune/misfortune to grow up in the industrial South Wales valleys in the 70's surrounded by coal mines and steel works(all closed down now by the global market,cheaper to import coal from Russia than dig it out from your local hillside) where heavy metal(let's not beat around the bush)ruled,Black Sabbath,Deep Purple,Led Zeppelin et al sat on their thrones.Over "the pond" were Styx,Angel,Kiss and later that decade came the hybrid,big riffs,big hair,big make-up bill.Listeningto the likes of Linkin Park,Limp Bizkit etc. I'm glad I grew up when I did(in fact Harold Wilson/Ted Heath/Gerald Ford/Jimmy Carter for that matter),The Darkness hark back to an age of entertainment innocence...serious,only inasmuch as they have an affection for the music of those times.How ' bout a thread on who was the best Thin Lizzy guitarist???!!!