Andrew Hill space

Big Al

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Bump....

There's a live solo recording that's available on AndrewHillJazz.com, recorded at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London. It's about 40 minutes or so. Anybody know when this was recorded? There's no date given.

I think it used to say 2002 on there. The link's been there since at least 2003. Well worth the download.

Bump....

There's a live solo recording that's available on AndrewHillJazz.com, recorded at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London. It's about 40 minutes or so. Anybody know when this was recorded? There's no date given.

I think it used to say 2002 on there. The link's been there since at least 2003. Well worth the download.

Now, rereading this thread, I see John B mentioned it back in Oct 03, I guess I'm finally catching up. Better late than never! Thanks for the info!

Edited by Aggie87

Bump....

Wonder if this was from the recital he gave with Archie Shepp at the QEH from around that time? (seems like longer ago than 2002 though). If so, I was there that night (Hill did about a half-hour solo recital as well as the duos with Schepp).

Thanks for the heads-up. I have the programme somewhere and will check the date.

Edited by sidewinder

• 4 weeks later...

Allow me to vent a little bit, as I think this is probably the only place that I can do so where it may fall on some receptive ears!

Andrew Hill is one of my absolute favorite jazz artists, and without a doubt my favorite living jazz musician. On a scale of fanaticism, I would probably put myself right around Rooster Ties' level. I've been listening to jazz very seriously for about 8 years now, and "Point of Departure" was one of the first CDs I acquired. Right at the first listen, it instantly became a favorite and remains my favorite Hill album to this day. Since then, and particularly in the past few years with all the Hill re-issues, I've been hearing all these wonderful Hill sessions for the first time ever as they are released, and each and every session has been a blessing to my life. Something about his music really reaches deep and moves me. To me each album sounds so different from the previous one, and therefore affects me differently, yet it never fails to sound like Andrew Hill. No session is less than excellent. This music is magic.

As I spun the amazing "Compulsion" for the first time yesterday, I was finding myself feeling some mixed feelings. I was getting a bid sad that this is probably going to be one of the final re-issues of Hill's BN work, as almost all of them have been re-issued at some point in the past years. It’s going to feel very strange once I have heard all the sessions, knowing that they'll be no more "first times" to hear a Hill session from the sixties. Yet, I realized that feeling sad is selfish in a way, and that all Andrew Hill fans including myself should be very grateful that this man has blessed us with so much amazing music to be treasured for the rest of our lives. I consider myself very lucky to have discovered Andrew Hill and to have gotten the chance to hear all this great music. I've even been graced with two new Hill releases since my venture into jazz (the amazing "A Beautiful Day" and "Time Lines")! I just wanted to express my appreciation for Andrew Hill and his music, and to Blue Note for making these sessions available and in print again.

:tup:tup:tup

Great post, Sal. I feel like I could have written that myself, although much less eloquently.

I look at it this way: truly absorbing and understanding all of Hill's work is a lifetime task. Every time I think I "get it", I hear something brand new.

Plus, hearing Hill's music has caused me to branch off into all kinds of new music by other artists. I'd guess that it has had a similar effect on you? :)

Incidentally, I'll never forget the first time I heard Compulsion. Luckily, I was able to buy the Mosaic set from a fellow board member!

Allow me to vent a little bit, as I think this is probably the only place that I can do so where it may fall on some receptive ears!

Andrew Hill is one of my absolute favorite jazz artists, and without a doubt my favorite living jazz musician. On a scale of fanaticism, I would probably put myself right around Rooster Ties' level. I've been listening to jazz very seriously for about 8 years now, and "Point of Departure" was one of the first CDs I acquired. Right at the first listen, it instantly became a favorite and remains my favorite Hill album to this day. Since then, and particularly in the past few years with all the Hill re-issues, I've been hearing all these wonderful Hill sessions for the first time ever as they are released, and each and every session has been a blessing to my life. Something about his music really reaches deep and moves me. To me each album sounds so different from the previous one, and therefore affects me differently, yet it never fails to sound like Andrew Hill. No session is less than excellent. This music is magic.

As I spun the amazing "Compulsion" for the first time yesterday, I was finding myself feeling some mixed feelings. I was getting a bid sad that this is probably going to be one of the final re-issues of Hill's BN work, as almost all of them have been re-issued at some point in the past years. It’s going to feel very strange once I have heard all the sessions, knowing that they'll be no more "first times" to hear a Hill session from the sixties. Yet, I realized that feeling sad is selfish in a way, and that all Andrew Hill fans including myself should be very grateful that this man has blessed us with so much amazing music to be treasured for the rest of our lives. I consider myself very lucky to have discovered Andrew Hill and to have gotten the chance to hear all this great music. I've even been graced with two new Hill releases since my venture into jazz (the amazing "A Beautiful Day" and "Time Lines")! I just wanted to express my appreciation for Andrew Hill and his music, and to Blue Note for making these sessions available and in print again.

I may be mistaken about this, but I think the session from disc 7 of the Mosaic has yet to be reissued.

• 2 years later...

Interesting video, interpolating a rehearsal and a concert performance of "15/8", with a band including Ron Horton, Marty Ehrlich and Billy Drummond:

http://www.boosey.com/podcast/Andrew-Hill-15-8/12584

This is a really great video. Marty Ehrlich is blowing off his butt. Does anybody know if the video of the complete show is available somewhere ?

Just for the hell of it (in the slim hope maybe somebody may come across this that hasn't heard them) a shout out to his trio session Strange Serenade and Hill as a sideman on Walt Dickerson's - To My Queen.

Sometimes I think I was born too late as a fellow bus rider jazz fan was telling me he use to see Andrew Hill play weekly in North Beach SF back in the late 70's( or early 80's), he also took Sax lessons from Joe Henderson who would sit in with Andrew most of the time.

Edited by WorldB3

Just for the hell of it (in the slim hope maybe somebody may come across this that hasn't heard them) a shout out to his trio session Strange Serenade and Hill as a sideman on Walt Dickerson's - To My Queen.

Sometimes I think I was born too late as a fellow bus rider jazz fan was telling me he use to see Andrew Hill play weekly in North Beach SF back in the late 70's( or early 80's), he also took Sax lessons from Joe Henderson who would sit in with Andrew most of the time.

The Hill/Henderson collaboration was extraordinary. Our Thing is incredible!

he also took Sax lessons from Joe Henderson who would sit in with Andrew most of the time.

Which reminds me of the flyer of a school concert I saw in what was then the Southern bit of West Germany (Lindau) back in the early 80s. Just a local school, nothing special - concert for the kids and parents. Joe plus touring band - about 3-4 DM :o

I missed it by about a week ;)

Edited by sidewinder

I was fortunate enough to stumble across a used Mosaic a while back (no booklet, alas), and thought for $22, this was well worth looking into. Needless to say, the first couple of go-rounds scared me to death. (In fact, I still don't get Point of Departure, but that may have more to do with me not being able to get Dolphy than anything else!) But slowly, EVER so slowly, it started working its way into my system. Judgement was the one that left.................. Some I enjoy now more than ever (Black Fire, One for One, and Andrew!!!); others are still just a wee bit "out there" for me (Smoke Stack, and especially the session with Sam Rivers. I can only listen to that in small doses, intensity level being as high as it is).

This is an extremely late response to this partiuclar post but I just noticed this thread (sorry!). I'm kinda amazed but that's the way it goes. All of the Andrew Hill music that initially presented problems for you -was my instant nirvana! I love Andrew Hill's music and his Blue Note recordings have always been my passionate favorites. And Dolphy being on the Out to Lunch date was an added treat. One of my favorite artists!

albumcoverAndrewHill-BlackFire.jpg

Can I get some comments on the recent Andrew Hill / Chico Hamilton duo album?

I just listened to this over the weekend and I must say I enjoyed a good part of it. It's a pretty introspective album, with very refined and subtle drumming accompaniment by the great Chico Hamilton. The Hill composition, Watch That Dream, seems like the centerpiece of the album.

• 3 months later...