100 Overlooked Recordings Worth Listening To

paul secor

Thought I'd have more of your list Peter - well I have, but only 3

Shirley Scott Trio - Blues Everywhere - Candid

Sonny Red - Red, Blue & green - Milestone

Hugh Lawson Trio - Prime Time - Jazzcraft

I used to have the Dolo Coker, but it was a bit too hard for me :)

Never heard of that James Moody And His Hip Organ Trio on Xanadu - looks like something I should know about.

MG

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Paul, you certainly have the knack of picking overlooked items! These records are very much drawn from the area I like listening to, but I only have three of them: Barney Kessel, Let's Cook, Meet Oliver Nelson and Tadd Dameron, The Magic Touch. If the standard of the others can be judged from these three, then they're a good bunch!

Nice list, Peter. I have 18 of the cd you listed. But then, you can produce endless lists of "overlooked recordings worth listening to", depending on what your personal preferencies are and how you define "overlooked".

Same here. I have about 15 of them (though sometimes in different packaging, but essentially same contents), mostly the "earlier" recordings from your list, but as Tommy said - you could go on and on and always come with yet more items worth listening to according to YOUR tastes.

I love reading other people's lists. Gives me a better sense of what other's tastes are like and helps introduce me to music I might otherwise miss.

What interested me about Peter's list wasn't the music we share in our collections, but the music I haven't heard. Made me realize that I don't have any Michel Ivery or Hal McKusick in my collection. Made me want to hear the James Clay, Flip Phillips, Coleman Hawkins, and Herb Ellis/Stuff Smith recordings he listed. I'd even like to hear if DEEP's music is more interesting than his rants :D . And there are names there I'd never heard of before - Ralph Lalama, Dado Moroni.

Thanks, Peter.

I love reading other people's lists. Gives me a better sense of what other's tastes are like and helps introduce me to music I might otherwise miss.

What interested me about Peter's list wasn't the music we share in our collections, but the music I haven't heard. Made me realize that I don't have any Michel Ivery or Hal McKusick in my collection. Made me want to hear the James Clay, Flip Phillips, Coleman Hawkins, and Herb Ellis/Stuff Smith recordings he listed. I'd even like to hear if DEEP's music is more interesting than his rants :D . And there are names there I'd never heard of before - Ralph Lalama, Dado Moroni.

Thanks, Peter.

Re some of your gaps, Paul, I strongly recommend Art Farmer & the Hal McCusick Quintet: Complete Studio Recordings on Lonehill. McCusick participates in a roarin' session on the first eleven tracks. I wasn't too impressed by the one Lalama leader album I heard, but think he plays marvelously on Soft Lights and Sweet Music by the Mel Lewis Orchestra on Limelight. I was lucky enough to hear him solo with this band at its appearance at the Wigan Jazz Festival in 1989.

Just flipping through my three ring binders, trying to think in terms of what really qualifies as potentially "overlooked".

Nat Adderley Quintet, Live at the 1994 Floating Jazz Festival (Chiaruscoro)

Nice performances by Nat and Vincent Herring, plus some entertaining stories by Nat in between.

Curtis Amy, Peace for Love (Freshsound)

His last recording and its worth hearing. Has that "spiritual" vibe that the Groove is so big on.

Harold Ashby, What Am I Here For? (Criss Cross)

There are actually a couple of Ashby recordings I could list but I went for this one, which has Mulgrew Miller.

Walter Bishop, Jr., What's New (DIW)

Its my only Bishop trio recording, but I like it a lot.

Ruby Braff & His Buddies, Controlled Nonchalance at the Regattabar, Volume 1 (Arbors)

With Scott Hamilton and Dave McKenna. Braff never lost it.

David "Bubba" Brooks, Smooth Sailing (TCB)

Again, many to choose from, they are all good, I went for the one with piano accompaniment (Kenny Drew, Jr.) but if you prefer organ, Polka Dots and Moonbeams features Lonnie Smith, and Organic Chemistry features Bobby Forrester.

Ray Brown Trio, Bam Bam Bam (Concord)

Many to choose from with Gene Harris and Jeff Hamilton, this is the one to have.

Rusty Bryant, Original Quintet Complete Recordings (Lonehill)

I hate to recommend the label but its nearly impossible to find the originals. With a fine group of West Coast players, very different from his organ-tenor sound of later years.

Kenny Burrell, Ellington A La Carte (Muse)

KB loved the Duke, and it shows.

Conte Candoli, Conte-nuity (Freshsound)

Another trumpeter who didn't lose it as he aged, this is a tribute to past trumpet masters.

Benny Carter, Central City Sketches (MusicMasters)

A lot of his later recordings were small group but this is a really superior big band outing with the American Jazz Orchestra. John Lewis takes some very tasty solos.

James Clay, Cookin at the Continental (Antilles)

Had to throw in his other release in his later years. Fathead and Roy Hargrove help out on some tracks.

Michael Cochrane Trio, Footprints (Steeplechase)

I put a track from this CD on one of my BFTs, and continue to believe that Cochrane deserves more attention than he gets.

Junior Cook, On a Misty Night (Steeplechase)

Hard to pick between this and The Place To Be. In a previous discussion I've said that the producer might have called for a little less blowing on some of the numbers, but its still well worth listening to.

Eddie Lockjaw Davis, Light and Lovely (Black & Blue)

Eddie and Sweets were a match made in heaven.

Eddie Lockjaw Davis, All of Me (Steeplechase)

Eddie and Kenny Drew were a match made in heaven.

Danny D'Imperio, Blues for Philly Joe (VSOP)

Yes, Paul, DEEP's music is much more rewarding than his internet persona!

Kenny Dorham and the Jazz Prophets (Chessmates)

All KD is worth hearing.

Harry Edison/Earl Hines, Just You, Just Me (Black & Blue)

duo recording.

Teddy Edwards, Out of this World (Steeplechase)

with Kenny Drew.

Art Farmer, To Duke With Love (Inner City)

Reissued a few years ago.

Larry Gales Sextet, A Message From Monk (Candid)

Gales and Ben Riley anchor this live set with Junior Cook, Claudio Roditi, Steve Turre and Benny Green.

Giacomo Gates, Fly Right (Sharp Nine)

If you like male vocalists, he's a master.

Dexter Gordon, Swiss Nights Volume 3 (Steeplechase)

OK, not likely to be overlooked by Dexaholics. But you haven't lived til you hear Dex singing "Jelly Jelly Jelly".

Al Grey Live at the Floating Jazz Festival (Chiaroscoro)

Johnny Griffin, Close Your Eyes (Minor Music)

Griff and Horace Parlan, no bass or drums. Unique in his discography and wonderfully relaxed and intimate recording and performance.

Johnny Griffin, Take My Hand (Who's Who)

With our own Michael Weiss, I think this is one of the recordings Michael has complained about as being put out on different labels without payment. But its a real nice set and worth the search.

Jeff Hamilton Trio, Live! (Mons)

Someone else posted another Hamilton recording, here's something else to consider if you can't find that one.

Roy Hargrove with The Tenors of Our Time (Verve)

I don't really care if they are treading on old ground - its good music particularly the cuts with Griff and Stanley T.

The 20th Concord Festival All-Stars (Gene Harris, Ray Brown, Red Holloway, Sweets Edison)

Old pros havin' fun.

David Hazeltine, The Classic Trio Volume 1 (Sharp Nine)

John Hicks, Inc 1 (DIW)

Two excellent trio outings.

Eddie Higgins, Smoke Gets in Your Eyes (Venus)

with Scott Hamilton. This is one your wife won't mind at all - if she objects to your more raucous or 'out' recordings.

Red Holloway with Sweets Edison live at the 1995 Floating Jazz Festival (Chiaroscoro)

Milt Jackson, Soul Route (Pablo)

This is the recording that got Gene Harris headed back into the wider jazz world. As Ray Brown said, "I just had to hear Milt and Gene play some blues".

Etta James/Cleanhead Vinson, Blues In the Night volume 1 (Fantasy)

or get "The Late Show" for the second set. Hell, get both - they are great! Red Holloway leads the band.

Hank Jones/Billy Higgins/Ray Drummond, The Essence (DMP)

Clifford Jordan Quartet, Live at Ethell's (Mapleshade)

Louis Jordan, I Believe in Music (Black & Blue)

Just because the world passed him by doesn't mean he didn't still have it.

Mike LeDonne, Soulmates (Criss Cross)

Another one of those neo-hard bop dates just plain cooks and there ain't nothing wrong with that as far as I am concerned.

Brian Lynch, At The Main Event (Criss Cross)

There are a lot of Brian Lynch recordings I could pick but I decided to go for the one with Mel Rhyne and Ralph Moore.

Shelley Manne, Boss Sounds! (Atlantic)

with Frank Strozier and Conte Candoli

Hank Marr, Hank and Frank (Doubletime)

Frank is Mr. Foster, and this is a fine tribute to Count Basie.

Christian McBride, Gettin' To It (Verve)

Jay McShann, Hootie! (Chairoscuro)

Phil Woods, Flip Phillips and Fathead sit in with Jay.

Trio Transition (DIW)

Mulgrew Miller, Freddie Waits and Reggie Workman

Buddy Montgomery, Here Again (Sharp Nine)

Ralph Moore, Who It Is You Are (Savoy)

with Benny Green.

Michel Sardaby Quintet, Straight On (Sound Hills)

Pretty obscure French pianist, Ralph Moore and Louis Smith make up the front line for a live set of hard bop originals.

Just realized this is out of place but I've got it with the other Ralph Moore CDs. ;)

Frank Morgan, Yardbird Suite (Contemporary)

What's better than Frank Morgan, inspired so much by Bird, playing Bird associated tunes early after his return? Mulgrew Miller is on piano.

David "Fathead" Newman, Heads Up (Atlantic)

Hey, Sangrey has been hyping this one for years. It defines "overlooked". :g

Joe Newman & Joe Wilder, Hangin' Out (Concord)

Nicolas Payton, Gumbo Nouveau (Verve)

Curtis Peagler & The Modern Jazz Disciples, Disciples Blues (Prestige)

Oscar Peterson & Sweets Edison & Eddie Vinson (Pablo)

Valery Ponomarev, Means of Identification (Reservoir)

Tim Hagans & Marcus Printup, Hubsongs (Blue Note)

Lou Rawls with Les McCann Ltd, Stormy Monday (Blue Note)

Dizzy Reece, Manhattan Project (Bee Hive)

Melvin Rhyne and the Tenor Triangle, Aztec Blues (Criss Cross)

Jim Rotondi, Destination Up! (Sharp Nine)

Sphere, Pumpkin's Delight - Live at Umbria Jazz

Pharaoh Sanders, Crescent With Love (Evidence)

Rob Schneiderman, Dark Blue (Reservoir)

Bobby Shew, Tribute to the Masters (Doubletime)

Tad Shull, Deep Passion (Criss Cross)

I think this is the one title that's been repeated elsewhere, but I have to reinforce it by including it on my own list.

Jim Snidero, The Music of Joe Henderson (Doubletime)

Sonny Stitt, The Good Life (Evidence)

Zoot Sims, Down Home (Bethlehem - Avenue Jazz)

Nat Simpkins, Spare Ribs (Bluejay)

Lonnie Smith/Alvin Queen, Lenox and Seventh (Black & Blue)

Dave Stryker, Blue to the Bone (Steeplechase)

John Swana & the Philadelphians, Philly Gumbo (Criss Cross)

Buddy Tate, The Texas Twister (New World)

Norris Turney, Big Sweet & Blue (Mapleshade)

Cedar Walton, Composer (Astor Place)

Cedar Walton, Roots (Astor Place)

Joe Williams, Every Night (Verve)

Reuben Wilson, Organ Blues (Jazzateria)

Rickey Woodard, Night Mist (Freshsound)

Rickey Woodard/Pete Christlieb/Ernie Watts, The Tenor Trio (JMI)

Sebastian Whittaker & The Creators, Searchin' For The Truth (Justice)

Well, that's it for everything that is filed away alphabetically. I didn't go through the digipaks that are in another place, or the binder full of purchases of the last two years that I never put away alphabetically. And I tried my best to stick with CD releases, I think there are only a couple that may only be found in vinyl format.

Paul,

I am taking you up on your offer to add my own list of 100 recordings worth listening to. These are all from CD's in my collection. They are in random order.

Peter, I thought I might have a few more, but I believe I have 34 or 35 from your list. However, I do have CD's by most of the artists you mentioned. For example, I have several Rob Schneiderman CD's, but not the particular one you listed; same with Peter Leitch and Kenny Barron and a number of the other artists. I am glad you mentioned Dado Moroni's "Out of the Night" and Danny D'Imperio's "The Outlaw" - two special favorites of mine. Maybe I'll try to come up with 100 of my own, perhaps just off the top of my head.

Well, I'm glad you joined in Dan - makes me feel a bit less lonesome out here :) I've got 18 or 19 (I have both the Jamea/Vinsons) on your list.

Nat Adderley Quintet, Live at the 1994 Floating Jazz Festival (Chiaruscoro) personally, I'd have gone for "Workin'" (Timeless)

Curtis Amy, Peace for Love (Freshsound)

David "Bubba" Brooks, Smooth Sailing (TCB)

Rusty Bryant, Original Quintet Complete Recordings (Lonehill)

Kenny Burrell, Ellington A La Carte (Muse)

James Clay, Cookin at the Continental (Antilles)

Teddy Edwards, Out of this World (Steeplechase)

Al Grey Live at the Floating Jazz Festival (Chiaroscoro)

Red Holloway with Sweets Edison live at the 1995 Floating Jazz Festival (Chiaroscoro)

Milt Jackson, Soul Route (Pablo)

Etta James/Cleanhead Vinson, Blues In the Night volume 1 (Fantasy) or get "The Late Show" for the second set. Hell, get both - they are great! Red Holloway leads the band.

Hank Marr, Hank and Frank (Doubletime) again, I'd have gone for "Groovin' it" (Doubletime) - trio session with Longmire.

David "Fathead" Newman, Heads Up (Atlantic)

Lou Rawls with Les McCann Ltd, Stormy Monday (Blue Note)

Pharaoh Sanders, Crescent With Love (Evidence)

Nat Simpkins, Spare Ribs (Bluejay)

Lonnie Smith/Alvin Queen, Lenox and Seventh (Black & Blue)

Reuben Wilson, Organ Blues (Jazzateria) and I'd have gone for "Masters of Groove meet Dr No" (Jazzateria) simply for the lovely title :)

I've wanted that Griffin/Parlan for ages.

MG

Griff and Horace Parlan, no bass or drums. Unique in his discography and wonderfully relaxed and intimate recording and performance.

are you aware of Griffin's Duo album with Martial Solal? heard it only once and was in the wrong mood then... but i've been told been since that it's pretty good

51CKV52263L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

interesting list! (the first of these lists where i don't own a single item (although i actually like many of the artists))

Edited by Niko

Dan, Withoout checking my entire collection, I have at least 25 of the albums on your excellent list.

The Benny Carter is an especially great session, which I had forgotten about. Harold Ashby made a string of excellent albums toward the end of his career, including the one you picked. The Norris Turney album is very strong. I picked John Hicks' "Inc.1" on my list--it is my favorite album under Hicks' name in his entire discography. The Pharoah Sanders album is very appealing.

Dan,

Your musical taste and mine are very very similar. I counted 60 from your list that I have. In fact, some you listed almost made my list of 100.

I could fairly easily list a second and even third 100 recordings from my collection that I believe to be overlooked.

As our tastes are so much alike, I will definitely want to check out some of those on your list that I don't have

Dan,

Your musical taste and mine are very very similar. I counted 60 from your list that I have. In fact, some you listed almost made my list of 100.

I count 27 on your list - I think we have a winner for Most Similar Collection. ;):g

When I was going through mine, I tried to remember things you had listed so as to give a little boost to something else in an artist's output.

As our tastes are so much alike, I will definitely want to check out some of those on your list that I don't have

And I yours. That's the great thing about these lists, if you find someone that you have so many discs and artists in common, that's like the best seal of approval possible that the ones you don't have will satisfy.

are you aware of Griffin's Duo album with Martial Solal? heard it only once and was in the wrong mood then... but i've been told been since that it's pretty good

51CKV52263L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I love it. :wub:

Great lists, thanks! I don't think I could come up with 100, and it's hard to know sometimes what qualifies as 'overlooked', but here are a few that I like a lot and that don't receive lots of attention (as far as I can tell):

Vic Dickenson--Nice Work (Vanguard). (plenty of good Edmond Hall on here too)

Duane Tatro --Jazz for Moderns

Shelly Manne-- Son of Gunn

Bobby Hackett (1950 Columbia sessions, found on the Condon Mob Mosaic, disc 3)

Ari Brown (Live at the Green Mill)

Billie and De De Pierce--Blues & Tonks (OJC) (Thanks Chris! Eternal gratitude!)

Walt Weiskopf--Anytown (CrissCross)

Frank Strozier--Remember Me (Steeplechase)

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

From Paul's original list, I have these:

Muhal Richard Abrams featuring Malachi Favors: Sightsong (Black Saint)
Air: Air Time (Nessa)
Oscar Aleman: Swing Guitar Masterpieces 1938-1957 (Acoustic Disc)
Gene Ammons: Live! In Chicago (OJC)
Fred Anderson: The Missing Link (Nessa)
Fred Anderson/Steve McCall: Vintage Duets Chicago 1-11-80 (Okka Disk)
Robert Barry and Fred Anderson: Duets 2001 (Thrill Jockey)
Carla Bley: Dinner Music (ECM)
Paul Bley/John Gilmore/Gary Peacock/Paul Motian: Turning Point (IAI)
Bobby Bradford & John Stevens Volume One (Nessa) – vinyl only
Ruby Braff/Ellis Larkins: Duets Vol. 1&2 (Vanguard)
Ted BrownTrio: Free Spirit (Criss Cross)
The Essential Buck Clayton (Vanguard)
Louis Cottrell Trio: Bourbon Street (OJC)
Ray Crawford: Smooth Groove (Candid)
Meredith D’Ambrosio: It’s Your Dance (Sunnyside)
Walt Dickerson: Peace (Steeplechase)
Roy Eldridge: The Nifty Cat (New World)
Boulou and Elios Ferre: Gypsy Dreams (Steeplechase)
The Bud Freeman All-Star Swing Sessions featuring Shorty Baker (OJC)
Jimmy Gourley: The West Bank of New York (Uptown)
Al Haig: Trio and Sextets (OJC)
Lin Halliday: Airegin (Delmark)
Bill Harris and Friends (OJC)
Elmo Hope Trio: Meditations (OJC)
Claude Hopkins: The Transcription Performances 1935 (Hep)
Joseph Jarman: Song For (Delmark)
Leroy Jenkins: The Legend of Ai Glatson (Black Saint)
Sheila Jordan & Arild Andersen: Sheila (Steeplechase)
Jimmy Knepper: Cunningbird (Steeplechase)
George Lewis: Homage to Charles Parker (Black Saint)
Warne Marsh: Jazz from the East Village (Wave)
Warne Marsh: All Music (Nessa)
Charles Mingus: Jazz Portraits (Blue Note)
Roscoe Mitchell: Snurdy McGurdy and Her Dancing Shoes (Nessa)

Paul Plummer/Ron Enyard: Trio & Quartet (Quixotic)
Mel Powell: The Best Things in Life & It’s Been So Long (Vanguard)
Sammy Price: Sweet Substitute (Sackville)
Jimmy Raney/Doug Raney Quartet: Stolen Moments (Steeplechase)
Pee Wee Russell with Buck Clayton: Swingin’ with Pee Wee (OJC)
Dave Schildkraut: Last Date (Endgame)
Leo Smith: The Spirit Catcher (Nessa) – vinyl only
Joe Wilder: Alone with Just My Dreams (Evening Star)

From Paul's original list, I have these:

Muhal Richard Abrams featuring Malachi Favors: Sightsong (Black Saint)

Air: Air Time (Nessa)

Oscar Aleman: Swing Guitar Masterpieces 1938-1957 (Acoustic Disc)

Gene Ammons: Live! In Chicago (OJC)

Fred Anderson: The Missing Link (Nessa)

Fred Anderson/Steve McCall: Vintage Duets Chicago 1-11-80 (Okka Disk)

Robert Barry and Fred Anderson: Duets 2001 (Thrill Jockey)

Carla Bley: Dinner Music (ECM)

Paul Bley/John Gilmore/Gary Peacock/Paul Motian: Turning Point (IAI)

Bobby Bradford & John Stevens Volume One (Nessa) – vinyl only

Ruby Braff/Ellis Larkins: Duets Vol. 1&2 (Vanguard)

Ted BrownTrio: Free Spirit (Criss Cross)

The Essential Buck Clayton (Vanguard)

Louis Cottrell Trio: Bourbon Street (OJC)

Ray Crawford: Smooth Groove (Candid)

Meredith D’Ambrosio: It’s Your Dance (Sunnyside)

Walt Dickerson: Peace (Steeplechase)

Roy Eldridge: The Nifty Cat (New World)

Boulou and Elios Ferre: Gypsy Dreams (Steeplechase)

The Bud Freeman All-Star Swing Sessions featuring Shorty Baker (OJC)

Jimmy Gourley: The West Bank of New York (Uptown)

Al Haig: Trio and Sextets (OJC)

Lin Halliday: Airegin (Delmark)

Bill Harris and Friends (OJC)

Elmo Hope Trio: Meditations (OJC)

Claude Hopkins: The Transcription Performances 1935 (Hep)

Joseph Jarman: Song For (Delmark)

Leroy Jenkins: The Legend of Ai Glatson (Black Saint)

Sheila Jordan & Arild Andersen: Sheila (Steeplechase)

Jimmy Knepper: Cunningbird (Steeplechase)

George Lewis: Homage to Charles Parker (Black Saint)

Warne Marsh: Jazz from the East Village (Wave)

Warne Marsh: All Music (Nessa)

Charles Mingus: Jazz Portraits (Blue Note)

Roscoe Mitchell: Snurdy McGurdy and Her Dancing Shoes (Nessa)

Paul Plummer/Ron Enyard: Trio & Quartet (Quixotic)

Mel Powell: The Best Things in Life & It’s Been So Long (Vanguard)

Sammy Price: Sweet Substitute (Sackville)

Jimmy Raney/Doug Raney Quartet: Stolen Moments (Steeplechase)

Pee Wee Russell with Buck Clayton: Swingin’ with Pee Wee (OJC)

Dave Schildkraut: Last Date (Endgame)

Leo Smith: The Spirit Catcher (Nessa) – vinyl only

Joe Wilder: Alone with Just My Dreams (Evening Star)

Larry, you turned me on to Gene Ammons: Live!

I had forgotten about this list. Looking back six years, I don't see much of anything that I'm ashamed of today. That surprises me somewhat.

I've heard about 15 from Paul's list

A good place to go are other recordings by some of those artists on same or different labels like:

Billy Bang's Valve #10 on soul note

Julius Hemphill Flat Out Jump Suite - maybe even better than the trio disc

John Lindberg's other recordings on black saint

Andrew Cyrille's other recordings on soul note

Fred Anderson has some great ones but Two Days in April & Blue Winter are seminal recordings that are unheard by most

Plus while I'm at it...

The two trio discs on hatART with Ray Anderson, Christy Doran & Han Bennink

Extremely Quartet on hatART with Paul Dunmall, John Law, Barry Guy and Louis Moholo-Moholo

John Law's Exploded on Impact - on slam records

Paul Dunmall - Ghostly Thoughts - on hatology

Mal Waldron's tutu recordings - Quadralogue @ Utopia both volumes from 1987 quartet with Jim Pepper - then Mal, Verve, Black & Blue from 1996

Dennis Gonzalez 's Silkheart recordings from the late. 80's - Stefan, Namesake , etc.

AALY Trio plus Ken Vandermark : Hidden in the Stomach on Silkheart

The Joe Maneri Quartet recordings: Dahabenzapple, Coming Down the Mountain & Tenderly

All the Gerry Hemingway Quartet/Quintet hatART recordings as well as Perfect World, Waltzes and Slamadam. IMO the most underappreciated band/catalogue of the past 40 years. Plus unlike some music that is now 15-25 years old, this music sounds even better now than it did then. One day maybe the music world will wake up and listen to these recordings.

Edited by Steve Reynolds