What's Gone Wrong With Rock?

Jazzjet

There's your problem. Boomers...ugh. They think they invented everything interesting or important since the end of WWII. "I was there, man. I remember where I was when JFK was assassinated..." Speaking as a baby BUSTER (born in 1970 when people just weren't having babies), I have to say that I REALLY came to despise the boomers as a grew up. Nothing was EVER geared to people my age. It was either aimed at my parents or my younger brother. There weren't enough people my age to make it worth their while.

Not that it matters, I suppose, but... that's a pretty sweeping statement. And disrespectful to boot.

The early hip-hop folks that you profess to love were also baby boomers. Believe it or not, we don't all think - or act - alike. ;)

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, my point is that there are no masterminds today, or anytime within the last few decades. No bands putting out superior music played by superior musicians. No touring bands that you just HAVE to see.

So you're basically saying that nobody since 1978 has been worth listening to? Nah, I can't agree with that, it's just too narrow of a view. Also, what is your definition of "superior"?

Has there been another Hendrix in the last 30 years? No. Has there been another Coltrane in the last 30 years? No. But if you hold your breath waiting for something as "once in a lifetime" as those cats...you're going to miss out on a lot of good music.

sjfarrell - I am far from a hippie -- just a baby boomer like you.

There's your problem. Boomers...ugh. They think they invented everything interesting or important since the end of WWII. "I was there, man. I remember where I was when JFK was assassinated..." Speaking as a baby BUSTER (born in 1970 when people just weren't having babies), I have to say that I REALLY came to despise the boomers as a grew up. Nothing was EVER geared to people my age. It was either aimed at my parents or my younger brother. There weren't enough people my age to make it worth their while.

Then the early 90s happened. And there was something that was just being made by people MY age. And it was bitter. And dark. And nihilistic. And wonderful. It put all the flower power shit up against the wall and pulled the trigger until the chamber was empty. I still listen to Nirvana and Pearl Jam and Beck. Hell, yeah!

I do love music from the sixties and seventies, I just don't fool myself into thinking that it's the only stuff that matters.

Best songwriting team since Lennon/McCartney? Morrisey and Marr!

I salute your spirit but dispute your analysis. Equating Morrissey and Marr with Lennon and McCartney is so wrong it's funny. When one of your innumerable, dreary indie bands has achieved 10 per cent of the impact on popular culture of the Beatles, Stones, Who, Led Zep, Dylan etc, please do let me know.

maybe it's unfair to equate impact on popular culture with making great music... (and absurd to say i am not going to listen to it unless it has made an impact on popular culture (which is comparable to that of) as dylan lennon and mccartney - nothing against horace parlan... but do you really think his impact on popular culture was, say 5% that of dylan (or even leonard cohen))

that said, does the impact of (Stones), Who, Led Zep really still last? dylan/lennon/mccartney, hendrix i can see... don't speak for my generation too often, but looking at history i see morrissey/marr at least as large as the who

sjfarrell - I am far from a hippie -- just a baby boomer like you.

Then the early 90s happened. And there was something that was just being made by people MY age. And it was bitter. And dark. And nihilistic. And wonderful. It put all the flower power shit up against the wall and pulled the trigger until the chamber was empty. I still listen to Nirvana and Pearl Jam and Beck. Hell, yeah!

I do love music from the sixties and seventies, I just don't fool myself into thinking that it's the only stuff that matters.

Best songwriting team since Lennon/McCartney? Morrisey and Marr!

I salute your spirit but dispute your analysis. Equating Morrissey and Marr with Lennon and McCartney is so wrong it's funny. When one of your innumerable, dreary indie bands has achieved 10 per cent of the impact on popular culture of the Beatles, Stones, Who, Led Zep, Dylan etc, please do let me know.

Thank you :)

that said, does the impact of (Stones), Who, Led Zep really still last?

That's a big affirmative.

Thank you too, Shawn.

How's this for impact?: Which drummer is sampled on just about every rap and hip hop record put out here in the good old US of A?

I'm going to guess John Bonham.

Thank you too, Shawn.

How's this for impact?: Which drummer is sampled on just about every rap and hip hop record put out here in the good old US of A?

You are correct, sir.

And please let me know when Dave Grohl is similarly honored (or dishonored, as the case may be). :)

Thank you too, Shawn.

I would think that Clyde Stubblefield has been sampled a HELL of a lot more than John Boham. How about Jerome “Bigfoot” Brailey or Ramon "Tiki" Fulwood? Tony Thompson? I would think that all of those guys have been sampled more often than John Bonham!

disclaimer: they won't be as big as Lennon/McCartney except possibly in japan and they're not really rock (although they do roll)

i just got Calexico's 2003 album Feast of Wire and it is very nice to have around

Calexico played on the "I'm Not There" soundtrack (which has some KILLER performances on it, btw). I found them to be quite impressive and have been thinking of checking them out. Is "Feast of Wire" the best place to start?

Thank you too, Shawn.

I would think that Clyde Stubblefield has been sampled a HELL of a lot more than John Boham. How about Jerome “Bigfoot” Brailey or Ramon "Tiki" Fulwood? Tony Thompson? I would think that all of those guys have been sampled more often than John Bonham!

You are incorrect. Bonham has been credited by all the usual suspects in those other genres. Shall I start a new thread? :)

disclaimer: they won't be as big as Lennon/McCartney except possibly in japan and they're not really rock (although they do roll)

i just got Calexico's 2003 album Feast of Wire and it is very nice to have around

Calexico played on the "I'm Not There" soundtrack (which has some KILLER performances on it, btw). I found them to be quite impressive and have been thinking of checking them out. Is "Feast of Wire" the best place to start?

this was my first step into checking them out (after a few years of being on the fence about it) it definitely sounds like a pretty good place to start (meaning: it is good and sounds roughly like the calexico stuff i had heard so far), reading about it i read it is more song oriented than earlier efforts (which is fine with me but may not be the thing of every jazz fan)

asked someone a few years back and he recommended the album with the car on it (just looked it up: it's called The Black Light)

(talking of impact on pop culture: feast of wire contains their homage to gil evans out of the cool "crumble" (nice gesture though i easily prefer the original))

does anyone else know more?

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss :excited:

Edited by Van Basten II

I've never liked Feast of Wire that much. A bunch of friends like it a lot. I don't know. Of the Calexico that I have heard, I like "Spoke" the best. And some of the stuff they have done with Howe Gelb as Giant Sand.

I'm sure it doesn't stack up to anything they would have been doing in the 60s though...

Thank you too, Shawn.

You are incorrect. Bonham has been credited by all the usual suspects in those other genres. Shall I start a new thread? :)

Yes, please.

maybe it's unfair to equate impact on popular culture with making great music... (and absurd to say i am not going to listen to it unless it has made an impact on popular culture (which is comparable to that of) as dylan lennon and mccartney - nothing against horace parlan... but do you really think his impact on popular culture was, say 5% that of dylan (or even leonard cohen))

that said, does the impact of (Stones), Who, Led Zep really still last? dylan/lennon/mccartney, hendrix i can see... don't speak for my generation too often, but looking at history i see morrissey/marr at least as large as the who

Fair point, although I wasn't suggesting listening habits should be determined by a musician's importance in popular culture. It is only one measure of the relative significance of the music compared to the vaunted 90s bands like Pearl Jam etc. I would definitely argue that bands such as the Who, Led Zep, Stones etc had a much wider influence and impact - and a more lasting one - than the Smiths, for example, ever had ( outside Manchester ). How many bands formed as a result of these 60s and 70s bands compared to those 'inspired' by The Smiths? Arguably more indie bands formed as a result of listening to The Velvet Underground - a 60s band.