What's Gone Wrong With Rock?

Jazzjet

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Checking out The List at The Chicago Reader, I saw that this week alone holds some tasty ROCK offerings:

Robert Plant and Allison Krause (with Buddy Miller on gtr)

Meatmen

Detroit Cobras

Drive by Truckers (ROCK SHOW)

16 Volt

Simply Saucer

Liz Phair

Shearwater

Sadies (!!!!)

Warlocks

Drams

Tren Brothers

Thalia Zedek

Motor Psycho

Sloan

Just a rockin' week in Chicago...

By the way for those who dig Neko Case, ever checked out the band she recorded once with, The Sadies ? Great kick ass band especially live !

The Sadies alone could sanctify the rock genre. All of the energy of early Kinks/Stones/Who wrapped up in an encyclopedic understanding of song lore, able to swing it instrumental, or lyrically.

They played to a room of about a dozen in GR about 9 years ago, looked at us and said, "Looks like a party!" and whipped out a dozen great covers around playing their new album.

Greatness.

Doesn't Ted Nugent new album out?

Seriously, there are two bands that crossed the 7/4 radar. I heard about the North Mississippi Allstars from a friend and the Black Keys from a Guitar Player article. They share common North Mississippi blues influences and I enjoy how they rock those influences out. The early albums are favorites.

But I'm pretty sure that's it for me...my interest in new rock for the past 15 years: the North Mississippi Allstars and the Black Keys.

Checking out The List at The Chicago Reader, I saw that this week alone holds some tasty ROCK offerings:

Robert Plant and Allison Krause (with Buddy Miller on gtr)

Meatmen

Detroit Cobras

Drive by Truckers (ROCK SHOW)

16 Volt

Simply Saucer

Liz Phair

Shearwater

Sadies (!!!!)

Warlocks

Drams

Tren Brothers

Thalia Zedek

Motor Psycho

Sloan

Just a rockin' week in Chicago...

I underlined the groups i would pay to watch

The main thing missing from rock music for at least the last 25 years is MUSICIANSHIP!!! Hummable? Danceable? Who cares? Just gimme some Larks' Tongues era Crim and I'm a happy camper :) No thrashy games of 3 chord monty there.

Hell yeah! :tup

Maybe there just isn't a rock culture any more?

There are rock sub-cultures. It's a fragmented art form (jazz is the same way), too many different types of music being lumped together by a single word to try and describe it all. But adding sub-genre tags just makes the water muddier. My view is listen to whatever you like and ignore what you don't.

I'm hip!

I think Sloan were great, but their current offerings (or those of the past five years) haven't really held up. Twice Removed was such an early peak.

I've always liked the three that followed better. Pretty Together's the first one that I didn't like so much. Everything since I've yet to try, but it's all in the iPod but the new one.

Speaking of acts on Yep Roc in the US, the new Paul Weller's out today, and Mojo was floored by it. Anyone heard it?

By the way for those who dig Neko Case, ever checked out the band she recorded once with, The Sadies ? Great kick ass band especially live !

I don't dig on their albums too much but they are by far one of the best live bands I have ever seen.

The great thing about the last Neko Case record was that it had the Calixico and the Sadies on it.

As much as I like King Crimson I also like to go to rock shows and see actual women in attendance. Don't think I have ever seen one at a King Crimson show.

Another problem in today's music. There are no star instrumentalists or songwriters with whom we can identify, like back in the heyday. Nobody can play like Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Beck, SRV, et al. Nobody can write songs like Lennon, McCartney, Townshend, et al. That being said, I realized a long time ago that the pool has simply dried up. The best of the best has already happened. Why bother looking for more? "Dig deep", says Cliff. Why? I don't need to. There's so much history in jazz and other music to explore. If the mood strikes me to listen to rock, I keep going back to the stuff that done me right in the first place. Groups like U2, Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Coldplay just plain leave me cold. And Green Day is for 12 year olds. They sound like they're stuck doing the Clash doing early Who.

As much as I like King Crimson I also like to go to rock shows and see actual women in attendance. Don't think I have ever seen one at a King Crimson show.

Sounds like you and I go to shows for different reasons, or maybe you're still stuck in your late teens. Anyway, I wasn't talking about today's Crim, which couldn't hold a candle to Fripp sitting on a stool crosspicking "Fracture" while Bruford bangs away behind him.

Importance or accomplishment has nothing to do with it. It may, I'll admit, have something to do with siphoning the energies off of the honest-type ambient folk (that, I will also admit, I have to see and mingle with on a regular basis, courtesy of the city I live in)--which, I'll point out again, meddles a bit with my conscience and taste. And I'll definitely steer clear of the suspect ethical posturing of rock stars--nothing to do with moral disbelief, but simply because I don't want it wrapped up in my time.

I'll also also admit that I'm entirely responsible for my enjoyment of Radiohead and Yorke's solo album--neither of which I've listened to religiously but for the radio static of the local electronic music lifestyle and the youth ether of the bourgey part of CA. One of my good friends loves both Kid A and Gordon Mumma. He recently shaved off his dreads. Phone number: available (PM for details).

You're just begging for a wailing here arguing that "I can enjoy A even though I enjoy B and it won't hurt B because..." (infinite regress), and it actually really pains me to see those dialogs unfold because the defendant in virtually every situation appears just as that--defensive, etc. Maybe I'm just not invested in Radiohead enough, but Organissimo's resident loud folk are lively and fun so I just can't dredge up the energy to tell anyone to fuck off.

If it suits you, please send over a list of the Yorke-horrified ambient acts you mean--both mrs. ep1str0phy and I would appreciate it. If anyone thinks I'm being ironic, I'm writing this request as many of my ambient friends are recommending later Genesis and it's kind of driving me insane.

By the way--who ever said I was a guy? Bay Area, baby (although the handjob thing would still be vaild).

Ep1str0py, speaking as a woman, you need a new girlfriend; don't let sex or a handjob convince you of Radiohead's importance or accomplishment. It's also an insult to dozens (at least) of excellent, varied ambient musicians world wide that you bothered with that solo album. You seem like a serious guy thinking, often, about serious things, so I speak to you seriously, as an older friend, or GMILF, if you'd flatter a 64-year-old that way, who hates to see you conned by some broad who bought into the same media myth Radiohead's inane singer (and his humor-impaired fans) claims to decry, although he will take the money.

My nephew was the guitarist for this band--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBzXBSUDo4U

Of course, there are plenty of assholes who'd rather listen to their fucking Beatles records, then and now, but I was never among them. On the other hand, this then-brilliant group of Young Wisconsinites went on to do cover Aerosmith, and wish for a bigger smoke machine but wow, they sure made their own crop circles once.

...today's Crim, which couldn't hold a candle to Fripp sitting on a stool crosspicking "Fracture" while Bruford bangs away behind him.

I'll disagree with that. Though I'd love to see (and would surely enjoy) Fripp & Bruford playing like that.

Sounds like you and I go to shows for different reasons, or maybe you're still stuck in your late teens. Anyway, I wasn't talking about today's Crim, which couldn't hold a candle to Fripp sitting on a stool crosspicking "Fracture" while Bruford bangs away behind him.

It was kind of joke that fell flat, my wife always riffs that they are nerdy boy music so its kind of an inside joke. No offense. Anyway the last King Crimson show I went to I got to have a drink with Adrian afterwards, great guy.

Edited by WorldB3

...today's Crim, which couldn't hold a candle to Fripp sitting on a stool crosspicking "Fracture" while Bruford bangs away behind him.

I'll disagree with that. Though I'd love to see (and would surely enjoy) Fripp & Bruford playing like that.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. As far as hearing what I've described, just break out "Starless and Bible Black".

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. As far as hearing what I've described, just break out "Starless and Bible Black".

Maybe there just isn't a rock culture any more?

There are rock sub-cultures. It's a fragmented art form (jazz is the same way), too many different types of music being lumped together by a single word to try and describe it all. But adding sub-genre tags just makes the water muddier. My view is listen to whatever you like and ignore what you don't.

No problem with that.

I think Sloan were great, but their current offerings (or those of the past five years) haven't really held up. Twice Removed was such an early peak.

I agree that Action Pact isn't that good, but seriously, Never Hear the End of It sounds like some sort of pop-rock masterpiece to me.

(Also One Chord To Another is a much better album than Twice Removed, and Between the Bridges is better still.)

Edited by BruceH

Nobody can play like Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Beck, SRV, et al.

Technical brilliance should never be confused with actual brilliance. It's like being an ace typist. Though I'll admit that Hendrix and Page made brilliant things, Clapton was only vaguely useful if he was in an interesting band with someone called Allman, and the others (with the possible exception of SRV- I've never listened) are glorified session men.

Plenty of folks can still write a good tune, too. This gets us back to the 90-95% of everything is and always has been crap, music, film, art etc. Like every freakin' hippie in the 60s was brilliant?

PS for the anti-Radiohead crew: They're really good, and In Rainbows bears that out. For me, anyway.

I agree that Action Pact isn't that good, but seriously, Never Hear the End of It sounds like some sort of pop-rock masterpiece to me.

I'll listen on my lunch break. Heard the one that came out 6/10 yet?