Mosaics that will NEVER be issued

I just posted this on the what are you listening to thread

All morning, so far, and I haven't finished yet, I've been playing a Mosaic that I can guarantee will NEVER be issued:

THE COMPLETE LOU DONALDSON BLUE NOTE RECORDINGS 1967-1974

:g

Lush life

Alligator bogaloo

Mr Shing-a-ling

Midnight creeper

Say it loud

Hot dog

Everything I play is funky

Pretty things

The scorpion

Cosmos

Sophisticated Lou

Sassy soul strut

Sweet Lou

(Now on Cosmos)

Oh WOW!

MG

And I thought it would be fun to make up some Mosaic sets that WON'T be issued.

Of course, the Lou Donaldson Mosaic would have to have the four complete unissued sessions and numerous unissued tracks from the issued sessions added.

Any other, preferably irreverent, suggestions?

MG

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would be a Mosaic Select: The Complete "Train Wreck" Sessions of Tyrone Washington

Actually, the complete BN sessions by and with Tyrone Washington would make a NICE Select. 5 sessions -- perfect for 3 CD's. From the BN discograhy, 2001 edition, Tyrone Washington appeared on the following BN sessions...

1) Horace Silver - "The Jody Grind"

Nov. 2nd & Nov. 23rd, 1966

w/ Woody Shaw (tp), Larry Ridley (ba), Roger Humphries (dm), and Nov. 23rd only: James Spaulding (as, fl).

2) Larry Young - "Contrasts"

Sep. 18th, 1967

w/ Hank White (flh), Herbert Morgan (ts), Eddie Wright (g), Eddie Gladden (dm), Stacey Edwards (cga), and for one tune only: Althea Young (vo).

3) Tyrone Washington - "Natural Essence"

Dec. 29th, 1967

w/ Woody Shaw (tp), James Spaulding (as, fl), Kenny Barron (p), Reggie Workman (ba), Joe Chambers (dm).

4) Jackie McLean - unreleased/rejected session (5 tunes recorded)

Jul. 5th, 1968

w/ Woody Shaw (tp), Bobby Hutcherson (vb), Scotty Holt (ba), Norman Connors (dm).

5) Tyrone Washington - unreleased/rejected session (5 tunes recorded) -- the infamous "Trainwreck"

Aug. 16th, 1968

w/ Herbie Hancock (p), Herbie Lewis (ba), Jack DeJohnette (dm).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

So Hot Ptah, I suppose that means that the complete El Saturn sessions is unlikely?

I suggested that to Mosaic. They were not interested. They said that the albums were too inconsistent in quality.

Hm, that would be a project for Revenant... or make that "The Complete Sun Ra Sessions - Every Note, Every Fart" or something like that... instead of a box, it could come in a pre-furnitured house so that all the CDs would fit in :g

Anybody think there's any real chance of this proposed Tyrone Select becoming a reality someday?? Here's the current status of the 5 sessions, and their most recent CD reissue (if any)...

1) Horace Silver - "The Jody Grind" -- McMaster CD reissued in 1991, and not (yet) re-reissued in the RVG series. I understand the McMaster comes from an LP source (if I remember correctly), so the tapes may be damaged or missing.

2) Larry Young - "Contrasts" -- never (yet) released as a single CD anywhere in the world (not even in Japan), and last reissued on the Larry Young Mosaic, which has been out of print for going on 6 or 8 (or 10?) years now.

3) Tyrone Washington - "Natural Essence" -- only ever released on CD in Japan (a TOCJ, pre-dating the JRVG series)), which has been out of print for several years now. My on-line checking (Amazon and Allmusic) says it was issued on CD in Japan in 2004, but I think this is wrong. I think the TOCJ goes back a number of years earlier than that. (I'm away from my copy, I'll have to check later and see -- my memory is that it was issued in Japan maybe around 1997.)

4) Jackie McLean - unreleased/rejected session (5 tunes recorded) -- never before released in any format.

5) Tyrone Washington - unreleased/rejected session (5 tunes recorded) -- the infamous "Trainwreck" -- never before released in any format.

So, I think there is some argument to made for such a Select becoming a reality. Is this worth proposing to MC??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Anybody think there's any real chance of a proposed Tyrone Select becoming a reality?? Here's the current status of the 5 sessions, and their most recent CD reissue (if any)...

1) Horace Silver - "The Jody Grind" -- McMaster CD reissued in 1991, and not (yet) re-reissued in the RVG series. I understand the McMaster comes from an LP source (if I remember correctly), so the tapes may be damaged or missing.

2) Larry Young - "Contrasts" -- never (yet) released as a single CD anywhere in the world (not even in Japan), and last reissued on the Larry Young Mosaic, which has been out of print for 6 or 8 (or 10?) years.

3) Tyrone Washington - "Natural Essence" -- only ever released on CD in Japan (a TOCJ, pre-dating the JRVG series)), which has been out of print for several years now. My on-line checking (Amazon and Allmusic) says it was issued on CD in Japan in 2004, but I think this is wrong. I think it goes back a number of years earlier than that. (I'm away from my copy, I'll have to check later and see -- my memory is that it was issued in Japan maybe around 1997.)

4) Jackie McLean - unreleased/rejected session (5 tunes recorded) -- never before released in any format

5) Tyrone Washington - unreleased/rejected session (5 tunes recorded) -- the infamous "Trainwreck" -- never before released in any format.

So, I think there is some argument to made for such a Select becoming a reality. Is this worth proposing to MC??

Certainly couldn't hurt to ask, although those in the know say that Cuscuna will NEVER change his mind about the so-called train wreck session.