YOUR desert island Charlie Parker disc / side / related-sessions

Rooster_Ties

Jazz at Massey Hall, anyone?

Also, there's an absolutely smoking live date I have on an old Alamac (bootleg) LP that took place, I believe Christmas Eve, 1949 at Carnegie Hall. Bird with Red Rodney, Al Haig, Roy Haynes, (forget who the bassist was, Potter or Russell most probably). The entire performance is wonderful, but the highlight is yet another terrific version of "Koko", my very favorite of all he ever did on this "Cherokee" variation.

Edited by MartyJazz

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The quintet sides on "The Washington Concerts" (Blue Note). Jaw-dropping in terms of speed and ingenuity.

I agree and would add "Boston 1952" on Uptown, the date with Dick Twardzik, Mingus and was it Roy Haynes? Equally brilliant and more relaxed, though the extreme tension/intensity of the Washington Howard Theater material is part of its appeal.

there's some absolutell nutty stuff that Prestige/OJC has collected from Bird at St, Nick's and some other badly recorded live stuff - I don't know if he was high, or what, but he's constantly breaking notes, heading for the altissimo range and bursting them apart - Dave Schildkraut used to think Bird, like him, was on some kind of spiritual search when he did this, as though looking for God -

Allen: Given your description, I bet that you have in mind the other OJC release, "Bird on 52nd Street." In fact, there is a lot more where that came from (Onyx mid-48) on the Benedetti box.

Is the Debut/OJC material from "Bird on 52nd Street" covered in the Benedetti Mosaic? I have "Bird at St. Nick's" already, but not the other one, and will skip it if it's in the bigger box...

My understanding is that all of "Bird on 52nd Street" is in the Benedetti Mosaic. Bird at St. Nicks is not.

there's some absolutell nutty stuff that Prestige/OJC has collected from Bird at St, Nick's and some other badly recorded live stuff - I don't know if he was high, or what, but he's constantly breaking notes, heading for the altissimo range and bursting them apart - Dave Schildkraut used to think Bird, like him, was on some kind of spiritual search when he did this, as though looking for God -

Allen: Given your description, I bet that you have in mind the other OJC release, "Bird on 52nd Street." In fact, there is a lot more where that came from (Onyx mid-48) on the Benedetti box.

Is the Debut/OJC material from "Bird on 52nd Street" covered in the Benedetti Mosaic? I have "Bird at St. Nick's" already, but not the other one, and will skip it if it's in the bigger box...

My understanding is that all of "Bird on 52nd Street" is in the Benedetti Mosaic. Bird at St. Nicks is not.

ok, for once my shopping strategy was smart, then...

The quintet sides on "The Washington Concerts" (Blue Note). Jaw-dropping in terms of speed and ingenuity.

I agree and would add "Boston 1952" on Uptown, the date with Dick Twardzik, Mingus and was it Roy Haynes? Equally brilliant and more relaxed, though the extreme tension/intensity of the Washington Howard Theater material is part of its appeal.

Yeah! That's a great disc that I rarely see getting any props. Twardzik is beautiful on there.

The Town Hall disc, even if it's excluded from this poll, is probably the single most exciting CP performance I've heard.

Wow, tough call. I do like the Birdland material with Fats and Bud. And the Rockland. BTW On what cds is the Open Door material found?

I have the Open Door material on a 2 CD Ember set. It appears that Philology has issued it on Philology 854 - Bird's Eyes Vol. 24 - just going by the 7/26/53 date on the Philology.

If I can bring a box set it would be "The Complete Verve Master Takes," but if had to choose one it would be "Bird & Diz."

Diz.jpg

Yes, no one has mentioned Bird and Diz yet. A wonderful album - and a very formative one where I'm concerned, as I bought it on 10" LP in 1958 at the age of 18. Super compositions and totally inspired solos by the two leaders. And I agree with British Parker enthusiast, altoist Peter King, who said on air that he's entirely happy - as most people are not - with Buddy Rich's presence on this date.

I'd take the Dial/Savoy set with me to my island, though that's probably cheating for this thread. All that said, I have to admit that the earliest solos with McShann still send a tingle up my spine. Nice K.C. blues popping along, and then this ethereal alto sax comes out of nowhere, and a revolution is born.

Greg Mo

The '53 recording of "Now's the Time". Bird's solo on that track is sublime, quite free yet totally logical, with shape, an ebb and flow, then Bird climaxes the solo near the end with the full statement of a phrase he had been hinting at right from the beginning. I have played the solo a hunded times and it never fails to amaze me or tell me a story. It's probably my single favorite solo in all recorded jazz.

If I can bring a box set it would be "The Complete Verve Master Takes," but if had to choose one it would be "Bird & Diz."

Diz.jpg

Yes, no one has mentioned Bird and Diz yet. A wonderful album - and a very formative one where I'm concerned, as I bought it on 10" LP in 1958 at the age of 18. Super compositions and totally inspired solos by the two leaders. And I agree with British Parker enthusiast, altoist Peter King, who said on air that he's entirely happy - as most people are not - with Buddy Rich's presence on this date.

A great session, but if only it had been Max...

The '53 recording of "Now's the Time". Bird's solo on that track is sublime, quite free yet totally logical, with shape, an ebb and flow, then Bird climaxes the solo near the end with the full statement of a phrase he had been hinting at right from the beginning. I have played the solo a hunded times and it never fails to amaze me or tell me a story. It's probably my single favorite solo in all recorded jazz.

Yes, a truly great solo. I've had a Verve LP from the 1960s which combines the two greatest (IMHO) Parker studio quartet sessions from the Verve years: "Now's the Time", "Confirmation", "Chi Chi" and "I'll Remember You" with Al Haig, Percy Heath and Max Roach and "Laird Baird", "Kim", "Cosmic Rays" and "The Song Is You" with Hank Jones, Teddy Kotick and Max Roach.

Yes, a truly great solo. I've had a Verve LP from the 1960s which combines the two greatest (IMHO) Parker studio quartet sessions from the Verve years: "Now's the Time", "Confirmation", "Chi Chi" and "I'll Remember You" with Al Haig, Percy Heath and Max Roach and "Laird Baird", "Kim", "Cosmic Rays" and "The Song Is You" with Hank Jones, Teddy Kotick and Max Roach.

And if I recall correctly, both of these sessions were recorded in 1954, when he was supposedly in decline. Some decline!

And if I recall correctly, both of these sessions were recorded in 1954, when he was supposedly in decline. Some decline!

1953 ("Now's the Time") and 1952 ("Laird Baird").

And I agree with British Parker enthusiast, altoist Peter King, who said on air that he's entirely happy - as most people are not - with Buddy Rich's presence on this date.

Me too. Also Bird was great admirer of Buddy Rich. Nothing wrong with him.

My favorite one would be earliest known recordings of Bird in Kansas City, and few tunes from 1941. with drums and guitar accompaniment only.

And for those who hate early wire/acetate recordings, I find Bird recordings on such media acceptable as well.

It is not about hi-fi it is about soul!