Albert Ayler

Gary

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can get a copy from Martin Davidson. Amazon was out recently, and may still be.

The earlier copies of the 50th anniversary disc released in June had the bonus track at the wrong speed - It was repressed in September with the 5th track at correct speed

So, there are going to be a few dud CDs circulating. Martin carries the corrected version

http://www.emanemdisc.com/other.html

• 6 years later...
  • 6 months later...
10 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I'm not sure whether people have seen this, but a great documentary on Ayler that is currently being made available for free ...

Thanks for the heads-up. I watched the documentary a handful of years ago, and it'll be great to watch it again. I wonder if it'll ever be on DVD.

saw it upon US release in Austin many years ago -- the Alamo Drafthouse had "Music Mondays," which were either $2 or $5, and this was one of their screenings. Pretty fantastic although I agree that Mary Maria got short shrift. Somebody needs to write a book on jazz in Scandinavia with a bent on American influences like Ayler, Shepp, Taylor, Cherry, Pettiford...

On 7/8/2021 at 11:02 AM, clifford_thornton said:

saw it upon US release in Austin many years ago -- the Alamo Drafthouse had "Music Mondays," which were either $2 or $5, and this was one of their screenings. Pretty fantastic although I agree that Mary Maria got short shrift. Somebody needs to write a book on jazz in Scandinavia with a bent on American influences like Ayler, Shepp, Taylor, Cherry, Pettiford...

When you saw it, do you remember if it had English subtitles or were there Scandinavian subtitles (I'm not clear on what specific language it is) per the release in this thread?  I was glad to have access to it and I did not find the subtitles to be a distraction but I admit to being at a loss with the non-English dialogue, particularly from Ayler's European girlfriend.  I got the impression that her commentary might have shed some light that was not coming from the other sources.

Overall I was glad to see the film and I am glad that it was made but I think the Lee Morgan documentary by the same director is a much better film.

15 hours ago, erhodes said:

When you saw it, do you remember if it had English subtitles or were there Scandinavian subtitles (I'm not clear on what specific language it is) per the release in this thread?  I was glad to have access to it and I did not find the subtitles to be a distraction but I admit to being at a loss with the non-English dialogue, particularly from Ayler's European girlfriend.  I got the impression that her commentary might have shed some light that was not coming from the other sources.

Overall I was glad to see the film and I am glad that it was made but I think the Lee Morgan documentary by the same director is a much better film.

definitely English subtitles where needed, otherwise none.

Great documentary! Glad I finally had the chance to see it. Didn’t know Donald was such a troubled person. Not sure what to think of Mary Maria but I’ve always felt she wasn’t a very good influence and this documentary mostly confirms that feeling.

On 08/07/2021 at 4:02 PM, clifford_thornton said:

Just seen on Twitter that Eleusinian Press has commissioned a book on Scandinavian free jazz from a writer called Daniel Spicer.

• 6 months later...

Fantastic documentary and the footage is surreal, after never seeing any film of Ayler up to this point. Saw it here in Cleveland at the Cleveland Museum of Art (2007 maybe?) and Albert's father was in attendance. I took my older daughter with me, who became enamored with Ayler because of me and she got to talk to Albert's father after the showing for a minute in the lobby. I think we both kinda floated away on a cloud that evening. 

But just youtubin' around, I found this footage, which I don't remember seeing before. Well, at least to me!

• 3 weeks later...

Scrolling through the Ayler discography on the Jazz Discography Project, it appears that there are only two recordings with Ayler on them that haven't seen a public issue:

• February 19, 1967 — Ayler with the John Coltrane Nonet at Philharmonic Hall (two tracks: Om & My Favorite Things)

• April, 1967 — a rejected Impulse! session recorded at the Village Vanguard (Albert Ayler Septet)

It seems somewhat strange that there are only two known Ayler recordings that have never seen a release. And then again, maybe it's not strange at all considering Ayler's short recording career. The Impulse! session is probably gone (lost tapes/fire), I'm guessing. I wonder about the Philharmonic session, though. Anyone here heard it? That would be something if it were unearthed and released some day.

Anyone here know of other recordings out there ... not listed on jazzdisco.org?

On 19/01/2022 at 3:51 AM, Holy Ghost said:

Fantastic documentary and the footage is surreal, after never seeing any film of Ayler up to this point. Saw it here in Cleveland at the Cleveland Museum of Art (2007 maybe?) and Albert's father was in attendance. I took my older daughter with me, who became enamored with Ayler because of me and she got to talk to Albert's father after the showing for a minute in the lobby. I think we both kinda floated away on a cloud that evening. 

What was Ayler Sr like?

18 hours ago, Late said:

• February 19, 1967 — Ayler with the John Coltrane Nonet at Philharmonic Hall (two tracks: Om & My Favorite Things)

according to Wild (JC Reference) the concert was in 1966 (Feb 19) - the John Coltrane Group was part of the "Titans of The Tenor" Show

According to Wild there is a tape of the concert (he hadn't heard it)

16 hours ago, romualdo said:

according to Wild (JC Reference) the concert was in 1966 (Feb 19) - the John Coltrane Group was part of the "Titans of The Tenor" Show

D'oh! I think I read that same information here earlier. This time I'll remember (ha).

Would be something to hear that show.

On a semi-related note, I really like the two (1969) Town Hall tracks listed under Donald Ayler's name from the Holy Ghost box: "Prophet John" and "Judge Ye Not." You can't even hear the piano on those tracks.

• 2 weeks later...