Albert Ayler

Gary

6 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

ROLAND ?!?

Saw that too. Past typos in cover art have been corrected though.

While I'm not crazy about the Blue Note reissues from ezz-thetics, I actually appreciate their willingness to keep certain titles on the market. They're usually a notch above most bootleg labels. But how about digging back into the HAT catalog? There are still some Lacy titles that could be reissued. And it'd be cool (though I don't hold out hope) if some of the JCOA titles could be reissued. Then I think the whole "Revisited" series would generate some heat. Heck, release—for the first time, digitally—Jimmy Giuffre's 1961 Tübingen set! That would be cause for celebration. 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/6/2022 at 1:15 PM, Late said:

Scrolling through the Ayler discography on the Jazz Discography Project, it appears that there are only two recordings with Ayler on them that haven't seen a public issue:

• February 19, 1967 — Ayler with the John Coltrane Nonet at Philharmonic Hall (two tracks: Om & My Favorite Things)

• April, 1967 — a rejected Impulse! session recorded at the Village Vanguard (Albert Ayler Septet)

It seems somewhat strange that there are only two known Ayler recordings that have never seen a release. And then again, maybe it's not strange at all considering Ayler's short recording career. The Impulse! session is probably gone (lost tapes/fire), I'm guessing. I wonder about the Philharmonic session, though. Anyone here heard it? That would be something if it were unearthed and released some day.

Anyone here know of other recordings out there ... not listed on jazzdisco.org?

I have what is supposedly a recording from Copenhagen from November 11, 1966, which would have been made on the same day as the interview listed in the Jazz Discography Project and one day after the Stockholm recording issued by Hat Art.  I don't remember where I got it but it must be circulating:

Copenhagen, November 11, 1966

Albert Ayler, Don Ayler, Michel Samson, Bill Folwell, Beaver Hariis

Introduction, The Truth is Marching In, Holy Ghost, Our Prayer, Incomplete Track

Edited by John L

12 hours ago, John L said:

I have what is supposedly a recording from Copenhagen from November 11, 1966, which would have been made on the same day as the interview listed in the Jazz Discography Project and one day after the Stockholm recording issued by Hat Art.  I don't remember where I got it but it must be circulating ...

Wow! Time for Hat/ezz-thetics to release THAT. Any new addition to the slim Ayler discography, particularly if it wasn't in the Holy Ghost box, would be cause for celebration. How is the sound?

The only Ayler I have is the Ezz-thetics reissue of Berlin/Lorrach, Paris/Stockholm albums from '66. The playing is definitely unique in a way that I don't necessarily love it, but feel compelled to keep listening, if that makes any sense...

At first I thought the song Bells was a type of processional song, but in listening to other processionals that description doesn't quite match. It sounds religious in a way, so is it more of a call to prayer type of song? Also for some reason it reminds me of 19th century social dance music, but I'm not sure that's a match either. Does it share any roots with that type of playing? 

On 2/26/2022 at 10:12 AM, Late said:

Wow! Time for Hat/ezz-thetics to release THAT. Any new addition to the slim Ayler discography, particularly if it wasn't in the Holy Ghost box, would be cause for celebration. How is the sound?

It does look like they're doing their little re-do on Slugs. I need to pull my ZYX CDs of that off the shelf and give them a listen. If I recall the sound is OK but I would welcome an improvement. I never heard the official ESP release but there is a Lone Hill one out there with utterly atrocious sound. 

image-11193506-ezz_thetics_1119-1_600x540px_jimmyGiuffre-45c48.jpg

On 2/28/2022 at 0:25 PM, colinmce said:

If I recall the sound is OK but I would welcome an improvement.

If it's any gauge, the La Cave live recordings recently reissued on ezz-thetics sound better to me than the same music from the Holy Ghost box set. The recording itself is rough of course, but the drums are clearer (to my ears) on the new ezz-thetics reissue. Perhaps the same will be true of the imminent Slugs reissue. I actually don't have a hardcopy of the Slugs recording, so I'm looking forward to the ezz-thetics reissue.

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2022 at 4:23 PM, Rabshakeh said:

What was Ayler Sr like?

The best way I can put it was congenial. It seemed he didn't understand what an imprint Albert had (and Donald) who I also met)) had on this music. My older daughter was speaking like he was a rock star, and I guess why not?! He had some pretty awesome kids. 

• 1 year later...
49 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

This is different from the footage in Kasper Collin's film (Stockholm?), and I think Surgal used what was in Collin's film. Good to see it although of course I wish it was longer!

Yeah me too. I was waiting for that Ayler brothers spiritual outburst but it’s mainly the composition theme that’s being being played here. Nevertheless very interesting footage. The guy still has that almost mythical status to me