Albert Ayler

Gary

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've actually heard from someone who spoke with Stollman that the box set WON'T be coming out because as the estate's agent (I guess?) he's opposed to it.

That's bad news I hope is ultimately not going to be made true.

DAMN!!!!

WHAT?!?

holy crap!

Who would have done it? Revenant?

And: why did the estate agree with Ayler Record's Copenhagen disc?!?

ubu

I hated to hear this, and I know nothing further; I'm just reporting what I have heard and hope is wrong.

The source I heard this from I won't mention unless he agrees to allow me. Let's just hope things are ironed out and we can enjoy the box set in time. If I hear anything further, I'll update the thread.

I hated to hear this, and I know nothing further; I'm just reporting what I have heard and hope is wrong.

The source I heard this from I won't mention unless he agrees to allow me. Let's just hope things are ironed out and we can enjoy the box set in time. If I hear anything further, I'll update the thread.

Thanks for keeping us updated (shoot the messenger! ;) )

I really hope there's going to be good news about this!

ubu

I've actually heard from someone who spoke with Stollman that the box set WON'T be coming out because as the estate's agent (I guess?) he's opposed to it.

That's bad news I hope is ultimately not going to be made true.

Oh no! Does this me i have to keep hunting for the Ayler tree that was about recently??

I dont suppose anybody on the board can help me with that one?

Nice thread Gary, thanks. Always good to hear more about Ayler. The London concert was perhaps my most most memorable jazz evening. I consider myself extremely fortunate to have heard him in the flesh.

Any particular memories you wouldn't mind indulging us in John?

The London School Of Economics theatre wasn't the ideal place. Curious beer swilling students wandering in and out. I wasn't well seated but the music, and especially Ayler's sound was terrific. Beaver Harris too was something else. The format was two sets to be video'd for televising on the BBC. "The Truth Is Marching In" was the only piece played, repeated in both sets (about 40 minutes each as I recall, the set time being dictated by the programme length).

The video was wiped by the BBC allegedly because the Controller thought it to awful to broadcast-or maybe it was Beaver Harris in a vest which caused the problem.

• 4 months later...

Wish you were here!

Albert_Ayler_July_5__1959_La_Ferte_Mace__France.jpg

Indeed, wish he was still around...

The photo of Ayler in uniform was taken one year before he and I both took part in the Bastille Day parade on the Champs-Elysees avenue on July 14, 1960.

When I met Ayler in New Yorfk in 1965 he recalled that parade. I could not remember a US regiment taking part in the parade but his memory must have been better than mine. There were still a number of US Army regiments stationed throughout France.

All I remember about that parade was that our infantry regiment had to be ready in the middle of the night and we had to wait for hours on end before marching down the Champs-Elysees. Luckily none of us marchers made fools of ourselves when we went past the presidential tribune with General de Gaulle at its center.

To celebrate that historic march I will go to the Bastille Day reception at the Elysee Palace tomorrow and will play some of Ayler's tunes in my head - including the Marseillaise part of 'Spirits Rejoice'.

It will be better than the music that is played at these outdoor receptions.

As a distinguished member of the French media, I have been attending many of those for the past two decades. The music is usually provided by the band from the Garde Republicaine and the closest these people come to jazz is a version of 'In The Mood'. Well, I'll sure miss Ayler tomorrow...

• 2 months later...

For those that use the superb ayler.net site this has been posted on the Coltrane List.

Sorry, this isn't Coltrane-related, but I know that a number of subscribers

to this message list also visit my Ayler website at www.ayler.supanet.com.

I've had a problem with 'excessive bandwidth usage' this weekend (presumably

because of the imminent release of the Revenant box set) and my ISP has

removed the site - which is a bit of a bugger. I'm not sure if the site is

down for good or will return if the traffic eases (my ISP is not being very

communicative at the moment) but in the meantime if anyone is trying to

access the site could they use this mirror site at http://ayler0.tripod.com.

Again apologies for the non-Coltrane posting.

Patrick Regan

ayler@supanet.com

I was looking for this thread and saw that Gary had already brought it back up again. I need to catch up on some of the Ayler I've missed. I've already ordered the Hat Lorach set, and am now looking at the Complete Live at Slug's Saloon on Lonehill and the Water reissue of the complete Nuits De La Fondation Maeght 1970 set. Are these two versions of these sets the best ones to grab in terms of sound quality and completeness of the performances?

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for Music is the Healing Force of the Universe, which Impulse recently reissued?

I don't know about the Lonehill cd, I've read suspicions that it is missing a track. If you can find "Albert Smiles with Sunny" THAT is the one to get. But it's hard to find! The two ESP single discs are pretty good overall.

I can highly recommend the Water release of the Fondation Maeght material. EXCELLENT! And "Music is the Healing Force of the Universe". . . I like. Your mileage may vary. It's sort of a mixed bag, with moments both ways, but the great moments are wonderful!

The Fondation Maeght material is really very nice. Not as dense as the earlier material maybe. Soothing as ever with its allusions of some higher truth, and almost relaxing to top it off. At least that's my personal reaction to it.

I have it on the JazzView label, one of those shady outlets from Italy; 2 disks wirth a total of 8 tunes. Sound is nothing to scream off the rooftops, but very much okay.

I don't know about the Lonehill cd, I've read suspicions that it is missing a track. If you can find "Albert Smiles with Sunny" THAT is the one to get. But it's hard to find! The two ESP single discs are pretty good overall.

I can highly recommend the Water release of the Fondation Maeght material. EXCELLENT! And "Music is the Healing Force of the Universe". . . I like. Your mileage may vary. It's sort of a mixed bag, with moments both ways, but the great moments are wonderful!

According to the Ayler discography site the Revenant box will include all of the material on Albert Smiles that is not included on Prophecy.

I think I'll order Music is the Healing Force, as it is so inexpensive, and the Fondation Maeght Water release. Thanks!