Albert Ayler

Gary

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't get my DaD copy to burn to DVD correctly, no sound on the DVD , yet its there when played back on my PC using a variety of media players.

Any way nice looking production, guess I'll have to view it on my PC unless any one has any helpful suggestions. I wondered if the problem was that the files are VOB but I have other Video-downloads as VOBs which seem to work fine with the same DVD burning software (PowerProducer)

I use http://www.dvdshrink.org/ to burn all those files on DVD. It works perfectly and it's really easy to use.You can even decide the maximum burning speed and region codes.

• 11 months later...

The New York Times reviews Kasper Collin's film in today's edition.

Movie Review

My Name is Albert Ayler (2005)

November 8, 2007

Free-Jazz Pioneer, Aware of His Legacy

By MATT ZOLLER SEITZ

The Ohio-born tenor saxophonist Albert Ayler probably would have gotten a kick out of Kasper Collin’s documentary about his life, “My Name Is Albert Ayler,” which opens today at the Anthology Film Archives. Named after one of his albums and built around snippets of audio interviews with Mr. Ayler, it attempts and often achieves a fresh, playful style that’s equally informed by jazz traditions and Mr. Ayler’s urge to shatter them.

Mr. Ayler used marchlike structures as the foundation for multiple, chaotic improvisations by himself and his band mates. The solos on his landmark 1964 album “Spiritual Unity” are musical action paintings in which feeling dictates form.

Mr. Ayler’s sound was formed during a rhythm-and-blues-influenced adolescence, a stint as an Army musician and a two-year sojourn in Northern Europe in the early ’60s that included exposure to the music of the free-jazz innovator Cecil Taylor.

The attention-getting final stretch of Mr. Ayler’s life started in 1963 in New York City (where he barged onstage with his sax during a John Coltrane performance and, to everyone’s astonishment, earned himself a fan and a sometime patron) and ended in 1970, when he went missing for two and a half weeks, then turned up floating in the East River.

In his time Mr. Ayler was marginalized as a grandiose, spaced-out eccentric who played like Charlie Parker trapped under something heavy. As the bassist Gary Peacock, one of many former Ayler band mates interviewed by the director, puts it, people either loved or hated Mr. Ayler’s music: “Nobody said, ‘Ah, he has his good points.’” A straightforward, PBS-style documentary about Mr. Ayler would have seemed clueless. Thankfully, Mr. Collin hasn’t made one.

The documentary is far from perfect. It compresses Mr. Ayler’s complex, contradictory, Christianity-derived spirituality into New Age hash. It gives short shrift to the women in Mr. Ayler’s life, especially Mary Parks, his final companion and de facto manager, who has been vilified for building a wall between him and the world. (She spoke to Mr. Collin on the phone but refused to appear on camera.) And it waits too long to reveal that Mr. Ayler’s brother and sometime band mate, the trumpeter Donald Ayler, exhibited obsessive and abrasive behavior because he was psychotic. (He died on Oct. 21.)

Luckily the movie’s missteps are eclipsed by its confident and appropriate style. Mr. Collin and his team of editors treat the sparse physical evidence of Mr. Ayler’s life as the filmic equivalent of a melodic through-line in jazz, staging areas from which to mount improvisations: a montage of newsreel footage of bustling Stockholm thoroughfares, circa 1960; blurry, weirdly poetic details from snapshots and home movies; oft-repeated images of the white-bearded Ayler blowing his sax.

The movie starts and ends with shots of Mr. Ayler’s 89-year-old father searching for his son’s gravesite in an Ohio cemetery, and black-and-white film snippets of the saxophonist standing against a blank wall and somewhat furtively looking into the camera, as if daring us to connect with him.

Throughout, Mr. Collin repeats certain quotations as if they were signature riffs recurring in a tune. The most electrifying is a statement from Mr. Ayler, confidently predicting the staying power of his music: “If people don’t like it now, they will.”

MY NAME IS ALBERT AYLER

Opens today in Manhattan.

Written, produced and directed by Kasper Collin; director of photography, Peter Palm; edited by Eva Hillstrom, Patrick Austen and Mr. Collin. At the Anthology Film Archives, 32 Second Avenue, at Second Street, East Village. Running time: 79 minutes. This film is not rated.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

According to an ESP email newsbit there are about 500 copies of the Ayler box set (Revenant) available and there won't be a repressing/reprint.

This is a musthave box set for anyone who is seriously into Ayler. Just thought I'd put it out there if you were "waiting." I'm sure there's still some time, but I wouldn't take for granted it'll always be around.

I think Revenant made too many of those. It doesn't have the crossover appeal/lavishness of the Patton box or the rock-completism of the Beefheart box.

Don't get me wrong, some interesting and important music contained therein (and a fine book) - just think it could've been slimmed down and made in a smaller edition.

500 remaining, no idea how many were made.

Here's the text:

In July, 2007, Revenant Records granted ESP-DISK' exclusive distribution rights for its Grammy Nominated Albert Ayler 9-CD box set entitled Holy Ghost: Rare & Unissued Recordings (1962-70) (RVN213).

This box set will not be re-printed and there are only 500 left. If you don't have one, act now!

Available at http://catalog.espdisk.com

500 remaining, no idea how many were made.

Here's the text:

In July, 2007, Revenant Records granted ESP-DISK' exclusive distribution rights for its Grammy Nominated Albert Ayler 9-CD box set entitled Holy Ghost: Rare & Unissued Recordings (1962-70) (RVN213).

This box set will not be re-printed and there are only 500 left. If you don't have one, act now!

Available at http://catalog.espdisk.com

Thanks, makes more sense than 500 alltogether... great box, and one of the very things so far that I've actually pre-ordered (or at least I ordered it just when it was released, can't even remember).

• 6 years later...

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd bump this one up — it's old, but worth reading.

I wanted to ask a few questions though:

Did the 50th anniversary edition of Spiritual Unity actually come out on compact disc? I only have the (legal) download, but couldn't find evidence of a hardcopy. The bonus track, which was new to me, is wonderful. I haven't yet listened to the session outside of the laptop, but it seems to have improved sound. One thing I did notice (and don't notice on the ZYX compact disc edition) is the glaring edit (just after :01) in "Spirits." A bad splice if there ever was one. Anyone else hear this?