Arthur Blythe

montg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea of a Mosaic set, too. Mosaic has a funny way of presenting things that individually I would pass over, into something seemingly essential.

Agree 100%. Has anyone with access to Michael Cuscuna ever popped the question?

Up over and out.

Perhaps Mrs Cuscuna did that one Valentine's Day.

MG

• 8 years later...

Blythe was known to show up in some unusual spots--such as with a group called Tibetan Dixie, with organist Jeff Palmer, and on Lester Bowie's The 5th Power.  His sideman recordings are usually very good, and I think the very best of these is 44th Street Suite with Tyner (which also has David Murray).

I just did some sampling of the notorious Put Sunshine In It, which is on Spotify.  Some of the tracks really aren't that bad, with sort of a David Sanborn or Grover Washington feel.  It's certainly not a classic in any way, but not quite the train wreck it's often claimed to be.  Or at least so it seems to me.

On 3/26/2017 at 9:40 PM, Milestones said:

I just did some sampling of the notorious Put Sunshine In It, which is on Spotify.  Some of the tracks really aren't that bad, with sort of a David Sanborn or Grover Washington feel.  It's certainly not a classic in any way, but not quite the train wreck it's often claimed to be.  Or at least so it seems to me.

:tup:tup:tup:tup!

• 7 months later...

I've been working my way through Blythe's Columbia albums via the 2 BGO reissues.  LENOX AVENUE BREAKDOWN is easily the best of the 5 albums I've heard so far, though they're all worthy.

One question: the track that opens ILLUSIONS, "Bush Baby", sounds a heck of a lot like the music Miles Davis was making in the mid-1970s with the Pete Cosey band.  Is this a case of influence, or convergent evolution?

I'm glad you revived this topic, because now I have a question.  I recently listened to Ben Sidran's "Talking Jazz" interview with Blythe, and he brought up the cooperative group The Leaders (Blythe, Lester Bowie, Chico Freeman, Kirk Lightsey, Cecil McBee, Don Moye).  They evidently had one album on Blackhawk and two on Soul Note.  Any thoughts on these?

2 hours ago, mjzee said:

I'm glad you revived this topic, because now I have a question.  I recently listened to Ben Sidran's "Talking Jazz" interview with Blythe, and he brought up the cooperative group The Leaders (Blythe, Lester Bowie, Chico Freeman, Kirk Lightsey, Cecil McBee, Don Moye).  They evidently had one album on Blackhawk and two on Soul Note.  Any thoughts on these?

“The Leaders, huh?...I’d sure hate to see the followers!” Lou Donaldson via Brad Mehldau blog.

Having their "Mudfoot" album on Blackhawk years ago, I wasn't impressed- somehow it sounded much less than sum of its parts would suggest. I highly respect all the individuals involved and have various albums by them that I enjoy, but then All-Stars concept seldom works in general.

• 3 years later...

I'm kind of surprised I didn't chime in earlier to this thread.  I am of the opinion that Blythe's Lennox Ave. Breakdown is about as fine an album of American instrumental music as anyone has made, ever.  YMMV, but it shouldn't.  An ideal Lou Donaldson album would be that good; but none of the actual ones are quite, enjoyable as nearly all of them are.

Edited by danasgoodstuff

• 1 year later...
On 6/27/2008 at 9:04 PM, paul secor said:

I can hear what you're saying, but I think that LD made more good records than AB.

but did LD, even in context and in all his phases, make a single album as great as Blythe "Illusions"? Likely, because of their biz realities and temperaments, Lou never thought it necessary to try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP0-Yv3RjlY

George Butler produced and fine, like most Lou, liner notes by George Butler who goes on the produce Blythe's Monk tribute a decade plus later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVpIoYuI2Yw&list=PLGSxK-_xeRIZ2qVIjyK4a2h8Y1jcv0rwx&index=2

1 hour ago, MomsMobley said:

but did LD, even in context and in all his phases, make a single album as great as Blythe "Illusions"? Likely, because of their biz realities and temperaments, Lou never thought it necessary to try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP0-Yv3RjlY

George Butler produced and fine, like most Lou, liner notes by George Butler who goes on the produce Blythe's Monk tribute a decade plus later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVpIoYuI2Yw&list=PLGSxK-_xeRIZ2qVIjyK4a2h8Y1jcv0rwx&index=2

Frank Wolff produced the Lou linked to there, and it's not even the best thing he did in that era.  I think Lou's Natural Soul is as good as anything Blythe ever did (my fav of his would be Lennox Ave for the texture behind him).   FWIW, I realize that I just contradicted myself but some days you want apples and some days you want oranges.

10 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Frank Wolff produced the Lou linked to there, and it's not even the best thing he did in that era.  I think Lou's Natural Soul is as good as anything Blythe ever did (my fav of his would be Lennox Ave for the texture behind him).   FWIW, I realize that I just contradicted myself but some days you want apples and some days you want oranges.

thanks Dana-- I garbled my reply, meaning to say George Butler went from doing liner notes for Lou to producing Arthur a decade plus later.

interesting to recall Bob Thiele produced this one:

18 minutes ago, MomsMobley said:

thanks Dana-- I garbled my reply, meaning to say George Butler went from doing liner notes for Lou to producing Arthur a decade plus later.

You're welcome, that's weird about Bob T and I remember In the Tradition as having kind of wonky sound with maybe just a little too much edge to it.

12 hours ago, MomsMobley said:

Bought as new release with sky high expectations after "Lenox Avenue Breakdown" and although feat fave players "In The Tradition" left me rather cold .... btw obscenely short playing time too ....