Jack Bruce & Robin Trower - Seven Moons

Shawn

517MrpNK37L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

This was a very pleasant surprise. It took a couple listens before it really sunk in, but it reveals it's charms more with each spin. Jack and Robin have been around the scene for 40 years or so, they no longer need to "prove" anything to anyone, their credentials are solid. But being comfortable in your skin doesn't have to equate to boring...in this case it produces a wonderfully relaxed vibe, a nice bluesy vehicle for Trower and Bruce to cruise on. Most of the heat is supplied by Trower who hasn't lost an ounce of his ability over the years and whose taste and restraint continue to evolve. Bruce sounds strong and completely at ease with the groove.

Some standout tracks include the very Cream-ish "Lives of Clay" and "The Last Door", the jaunty bounce of "She's Not The One", the beautiful spacey ballad "Just Another Day" and the tongue in cheek slow blues "Bad Case of Celebrity".

I picked this up when it came out in February. Liked it a lot then, still enjoying it. My favorites tunes are "Distant Places of the Heart" and "She's Not the One." The drummer on "Seven Moons", Gary Husband, also plays with John McLaughlin (I saw them play together at a show at George Washington University). (I also enjoy "BLT" and "Truce," the two '80's Jack and Robin albums...)

I would love to see Jack and Bruce tour "Seven Moons." Doesn't look like it will happen though. Robin Trower came to Alexandria, VA around the time "Seven Moons" was released, but Jack wasn't with him so nothing from the new album was played. Jack will be coming to Virginia this summer as part of a package tour, but Robin won't be with him and so the band will probably stick to blues tunes or old Cream favorites, I suppose. I'm still going anyway though, I've never seen Jack live.

Edited by HWright

I picked this up when it came out in February. Liked it a lot then, still enjoying it.

Same here!

My favorites tunes are "Distant Places of the Heart" and "She's Not the One." The drummer on "Seven Moons", Gary Husband, also plays with John McLaughlin (I saw them play together at a show at George Washington University). (I also enjoy "BLT" and "Truce," the two '80's Jack and Robin albums...)

I know Husband from his many years with Holdsworth.

It strikes me as a Bruce album. It's not as heavy as the two '80s albums.

Believe it or not I've never owned either B.L.T. or Truce (though I've owned all the other Trower albums at one point or another). How dated is the production on those? I love Victims Of The Fury (from around the same time frame).

Believe it or not I've never owned either B.L.T. or Truce (though I've owned all the other Trower albums at one point or another). How dated is the production on those? I love Victims Of The Fury (from around the same time frame).

Timeless.

I have BLT and Truce together on one CD.

Timeless.

I have BLT and Truce together on one CD.

I had to ask, early 80's rock production scares the living shit out of me. :rfr

I would love to see Jack and Bruce tour "Seven Moons."

Oh, yeahhhhhhhhh. BOTH of them ... together! :g

This album didn't grab me at first, but it's definitely grown on me with repeated listenings. Not exactly a "classic", but a solid session, for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Has anyone in these parts partaken of the Bruce box set, Can You Follow? It's a 6 CD retrospective that covers his entire career. Some of the tracks are from the iteration of his band Spirit which included Carla Bley and Mick Taylor. That alone makes it kind of intriguing.

Up over and out.

I'll recommend the Jack Bruce BBC box set. Three loaded CD's of really good 70's material for under $20. I loved James Dewar's singing with Trower so much that no one else (even Bruce) sounds right with him to my ears. Speaking of Dewar, his earlier group, Stone The Crows, with Maggie Bell and the tragic Les Harvey, was one of the most underrated groups from back in the day.

• 5 months later...

front-Flyer-Bruce-Trower-Husband22.jpg

"The Robin Trower/Jack Bruce co-operative effort recorded visually and aurally in Nijmegen, Holland will be released by Ruf Records in mid-October. Both the CD and DVD are titled "Seven Moons Live" and contain the following songs recorded live:

* Seven Moons

* Lives Of Clay

* Distant Places Of The Heart

* Sunshine Of Your Love

* Carmen

* So Far To Yesterday

* Perfect Place

* Bad Case Of Celebrity

* The Last Door

* Come To Me

* White Room

* Politician

It seems unlikely that Jack, Robin and amazing drummer Gary Husband will tour the US, so this is the closest we can get to "being there". " from TrowerPower.

• 1 month later...