Ronnie Mathews, R.I.P.

ValerieB

i've just heard that Ronnie passed this morning. very sad although expected news. my musical appreciation life will not be the same. have been a fan of Ronnie's for approx. 45 years and will continue to be.

my deepest condolences to his family and friends. he was so proud of his daughter and grand-daughter and now i understand he had a new grand-daughter of two months. peace and blessings to the Mathews family.

damn. Used to see him all the time when I lived in NYC in the late 1970s, early 1980s - always thought he looked a little like Bob Neloms, and Neloms told me people were always mistaking the two for each other - he was one of those guys who was a sideman for EVERYBODY, great player, nice guy -

For me, a man who made his contribution quietly and well. Thanks, Mr. Mathews. You'll be missed.

That pretty well says it for me. I saw him in the late 70s backing Johnny Griffin for a tour promoting Return of the Griffin; a very nice concert. Nothing flamboyant by Matthews but a solid backup for the Little Giant. RIP

Sad news, indeed.... He used to come to Toronto and play solo piano at Cafe des Copains and the Montreal Bistro and I got to know him pretty well -- always "up", with a big smile. One of the best interpreters of Monk anywhere -- really could get inside that music and play convincingly.

He really had a long career playing with many leaders: Max, Woody Shaw, Dexter, and on and on. I had a nice time with him once with some of his old Brooklyn musican friends so I'll always remember him with a big jovial smile on his face.

Ted, as you know, with one is very nice from the Cafe des Copians:

e51897zr6cw.jpg

Wow, for some reason I found myself staring at my old LP copy of Woody Shaw's "Little Red's Fantasy" yesterday. The corner of the jacket was sticking out of the bookshelf, and I told myself I should give it a listen again, after many years. It was probably my favorite Shaw album, featuring some terrific work by Ronnie Mathews. I didn't listen to it yesterday, but after reading this sad news, I will today.

Don't mean to ignore Matthews' solo work, but his comping on Teddy Edwards' "Ladies Man" (High Note) is special:

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/.../Ladies+Man.htm

Actually, at times (especially on the ballads) it's more like he's soloing alongside and underneath Edwards, in perfect sympathy/empathy. Almost an orchestral effect.

This music would not be possible without Ronnie Matthews and others like him, strong musicians able to bring solid (and that's a word too easily used as a dismissive, when in fact it can/should also a supreme compliment, given the endless opportunities for slippage there are in playing improvised music) style and substance in any context they're called upon to participate.

A loss? Definitely. But as with almost all losses, one which is at least somewhat offset by the legacy. We come, we do, and then we leave. Hopefully what we do before we leave inspires those who come after us at least as much as it does who go alongside us, if by no other means than by setting an example for excellence.

Ronnie Matthews certainly set such an example.

Wow, for some reason I found myself staring at my old LP copy of Woody Shaw's "Little Red's Fantasy" yesterday.

One of my favorite Woody Shaw sides!

I heard Ronnie Mathews live many times with various groups. He was a busy sideman in the same era as George Cables, Kirk Lightsey and James Williams, to name a few. The first side that came to my mind was Dexter's Homecoming. Always enjoyed his contributions.

RIP

This music would not be possible without Ronnie Matthews and others like him, strong musicians able to bring solid (and that's a word too easily used as a dismissive, when in fact it can/should also a supreme compliment, given the endless opportunities for slippage there are in playing improvised music) style and substance in any context they're called upon to participate.

A loss? Definitely. But as with almost all losses, one which is at least somewhat offset by the legacy. We come, we do, and then we leave. Hopefully what we do before we leave inspires those who come after us at least as much as it does who go alongside us, if by no other means than by setting an example for excellence.

Beautifully expressed.

Beautifully expressed.

i agree, wholeheartedly. thanks JSngry and Chris.