Ronnie Mathews, R.I.P.

ValerieB

we actually have not heard any specific memorial info yet since it won't be for another couple of months.

I know, I was just puting up the link in case anybody wanted to send condolences.

thanks very much for doing that, Catesta. i'm sure his daughter would very much appreciate hearing from some of Ronnie's fans.

Guest Bill Barton

His Beehive LP, "Roots Branches and Dances", is a really good album...

Yes, that's an oustanding album!!!!!

R.I.P., Mr. Mathews, you will be missed.

I only had a chance to hear him live on one occasion, during the after hours jam session a few years back at the Montreal International Jazz Festival. He sounded great.

I'm rather late getting to this thread as my Internet access is severely limited for a few weeks (still in the throes of moving - unpacking boxes, etc.) So, paying my respects now...

I think one album of that Alexander/Hubbard/Mathews Fantasy twofer was also his date, no

Indeed it was. The excellent 'Doin' The Thang', with Charles Davis and Hubbard.

When I mentioned that title to him a few years ago at The Kitano, he paused for a sec and then gave a response which led me to believe that he ranked it low on the list of titles that should have been available as JPN imports. Did he view it as 'so-so'? I wish I could remember the exact quote.

Really sad news indeed. Love his playing.

Listening to a radio broadcast of Kenny Dorham's band at club Morocco in Brooklyn in 1967.

Ronnie was on piano, Paul Chambers bass Candy Finch drums and David Fathead Newman on tenor.

Also heard him live with Dexter Gordon.

Denis

I think one album of that Alexander/Hubbard/Mathews Fantasy twofer was also his date, no

Indeed it was. The excellent 'Doin' The Thang', with Charles Davis and Hubbard.

When I mentioned that title to him a few years ago at The Kitano, he paused for a sec and then gave a response which led me to believe that he ranked it low on the list of titles that should have been available as JPN imports. Did he view it as 'so-so'? I wish I could remember the exact quote.

hm, it never struck me as all that great... but "Selena's Dance", the Timeless trio album, is beautiful!