Your Local Jazz Radio Stations?

Johnny E

Hey all,

Monktail sent out CD's to local media only last night. We're trying to get on top of a local media push for our appearance at this years Earshot Jazz fest. We are going to send CD's to radio stations outside the Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia next week. So if you all would be so kind to oblige, could you tell me the name of your local jazz stations? Call letters and city is fine. I'll do the search for contacts. Of course any additional info (like shows likely to play outside jazz) would be helpful. I reall appreciate this.

Thanks

-John

WCMU, located in Mount Pleasant, Michigan has a network of transmitters that reach throughout most of the northern half of Michigan's Lower Peninsula, Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and into Ontario.

For many years on Sunday nights, Mike Johnston (the bass player for the Northwoods Improvisers) has had a show featuring adventurous improvised music called "Destination Out". He'd be the best one to contact. The Program Manager of WCMU is named Ray Ford.

I've also enjoyed Lazaro Vega's show many times over the years. It doesn't always come through very well where I live in central Michigan, but I try to listen when I can, especially when I travel to the Traverse City area.

I also listen to the jazz programming of WEMU when I'm in Ann Arbor.

KNTU in the Dallas/Ft. Woth area.

Good luck! Hope to hear you guys on the radio soon.

That would be nice, but KNTU doesn't really play "out" music, and especially if you don't have a "name". Quartet Out hit them THREE times w/promos, by mail and in person, even stressed the fact that 3/4 of the band are UNT alum (their current obsession, seemingly), and we never got played ONCE. They say we don't fit in with their "format".

I think the station has kinda gotten under some control by the Lab Band department over the last year or so, because you hear a LOT more big-band than you used to, ESPECIALLY the older UNT bands, and like I said, they take every opportunity to point out each and every player on any given record who's a UNT alum (which apparently means having gone to a class once - they called Norah Jones a UNT alum!). It's a nice list, but you gotta wonder what the point is. Could be that they're streaming on the Internet now ( www.kntu.fm ) and recruiting worldwide.

Sour grapes? Maybe, but not really, it's a school-sponsored station and if they want/need to function as a recruiting/propaganda arm for the NT Jazz Education program and its vision of jazz, that's their right. They still a lot of play good stuff of the more traditional type, and I still listen regularly. But there are definite programming/philosophical/musical parameters in place, and apparently Quartet Out falls outside them, as will, I suspect, Monktail. But give it a shot anyway, Johnny. You're half a continent away and pose no immediate threat to the Pedagogy Police, so ya' never know... ;)

WRCU, Colgate University's Radio Station

My local station already got mention, but I also listen to the jazz programming from my alma mater, in Hamilton, NY.

They play a lot of 'out' jazz--could be the nearby CIMP influence. If you send one, send it to the attention of the Wednesday night DJ and based on what he normally plays, he'd probably spin it (it isn't me).

Edited by Deep Groove

Johnny,

Definitely hit me re: WFHB 91.3/98.1 FM Bloomington, IN (the community radio station where I work, as opposed to the NPR affiliate). There's at least one other show besides mine at WFHB that plays out jazz, and I will hip them to your release... if you need the direct address info again, drop me a PM.

For a lot of public jazz radio stations "out" is anything that isn't easy to listen to while working or eating. So no Bix, no Hot Fives (or anything pre1950 it seems) and, of course, nothing experimental from the 60s on. Too bad since a university (most of these stations are university affiliated) is supposed to be about new experiences, stretching and learning. A lot of the raw energy of jazz isn't being presented to college students and other neophytes who might otherwise be attracted to the music.

Anyway, my local station is WGLT in Bloomington IL. With a CD player in the car and at work, I rearely listen to it anymore. However, I sent an e-mail to the progam director a few weks ago and asked why regular programming never features anything pre 1950. No response. So much for the "public" in public radio.

this link might be useful:

nprjazz.org

Edited by montg

Johnny,

Definitely hit me re: WFHB 91.3/98.1 FM Bloomington, IN (the community radio station where I work, as opposed to the NPR affiliate). There's at least one other show besides mine at WFHB that plays out jazz, and I will hip them to your release... if you need the direct address info again, drop me a PM.

Got it ghost. It's-a-comin'.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.